Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

runway

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 AM
ShawnT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runway

I Just started flying rc and am looking to build my own runway. I fly a easy sport .46 plane . i was wandering what size of runway would u recomend for that size of plane?also how big of open area should i have with no trees?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default RE: runway

ORIGINAL: ShawnT

I Just started flying rc and am looking to build my own runway. I fly a easy sport .46 plane . i was wandering what size of runway would u recomend for that size of plane?also how big of open area should i have with no trees?
A good runway would be 6-700ft. long and 75-100ft. wide open approach on both ends and 30 acres of open field with the sun at your back all day. Ofcourse you need to find the prevailing winds and build the runway accordingly. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our runway is 50' wide and 350' long. We fly all types of planes including giant scale. Biggest one I see out there all the time that I can think of off the top of my head is a 110" wing span but I know there has been a 46% Ultimate out there before.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: ShawnT

A good runway would be 6-700ft. long and 75-100ft. wide open approach on both ends and 30 acres of open field with the sun at your back all day. Ofcourse you need to find the prevailing winds and build the runway accordingly. Good luck.
I agree with Stuka Barry. However if you can join a club you might be able to use their runway, plus get some help from the club learning how to fly the easy sport. I f you know how to fly the easy sport won't require that much runway, but for higher performance planes you will want the full size runway so you can fly them without going off the runway and causing damage to your planes.

The smaller your runway the more likely you will miss it/go off, so there is a tradeoff of the cost of building the larger runway vs plane repairs (cost and time).

Ed
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
BillyGoat

This topic has been discussed many times before here on RCU, here is a very recent example http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9853495/tm.htm . Using the search function will bring up plenty more.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 AM
ShawnT

Thanx for the info....