Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What's this plane worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Earthdrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this plane worth?

Hi all. I've recently recieved the remains of a .40 size trainer from a friend. He would like to have a little money out of it, but we can't figure out what it's worth, if anything. It's an Air Vista, made by Hobbico, I believe. It has an O.S. .40 LA, a four channel reciever and all servos. It also includes a Hitec four channel TX. The plane took a pretty hard hit, and it will need a new firewall, several ribs, and new monocote. Electronics are unknown, and the needle valve was broken. Any ideas? This is my first glow plane, and I don't know what to offer him. Many thanks for your help.

Bud
Old 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM
airwethead

I don't know where to start on this one. I guess in the end it is worth what you are willing to pay for it, but as for me, I wouldn't pay anything for it.

"the remains of a .40 size trainer"
I dont usually pay for anything described as "remains". I know what you mean by it here, but my point is that there may be a lot of time involved in making it whole again.

"it will need a new firewall, several ribs, and new monocote."
If you have never done a repair of this sort before, that is quite a bit of work, I wouldn't pay for the privelage of doing it.

"Electronics are unknown"
You should send the electronics back to the manufacturer and have them checked over. This is common practice after "a pretty hard hit". This will set you back about $25, and you really shouldn't skip this, unless you want to rebuild the plane a second time.

"the needle valve was broken"
This is a very important part of the engine. OK, that was a little bit of a smart**s comment, sorry. I believe the LA engines have a plastic backplate assembly which also holds the needle valve. You can get a new one for about $13 (last time I checked).

You will also need to buy some balsa, some light ply or birch ply for the firewall, and some monokote (plus monokote iron and heat gun, other covering tools etc.). You will need epoxy and CA glue, and other building tools etc.

So the short answer is "I would not pay him anything for it."
If he is still willing to give it to you, then it may be a good deal, and a good opportunity to learn a little about the airplane's structure and inner workings as you rebuild it. If you are already certain that this hobby interests you, and you will probably stick with it, then all the tools and equipment needed to repair this plane will be a good investment.

If he wants any money for it, then tell him to keep it and fix it himself.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

You could probably buy it all new for $250-275. Used in good condition would go for less than half at the field or 90% of new on Ebay.

Since it is damaged I would say $75-100 would be fair.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:56 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

I got trainer set up similar to yours on ebay that was new but unfinished.
OS 40 LA and Hitec focus 4 radio.
$200.
I would not offer half of that for the one you described.

Bill
Old 07-27-2003, 06:27 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

just ask him how much he want's to pay you for taking it and saving him lot's of work.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Earthdrill

Default Thanks for the help.

We were able to come to an agreement, wherein I swapped a slow stick for the "project" trainer. Upon further inspection, it should be a fairly straightforward fix. This won't be my first repair, just my most challenging. I've been wanting to learn how to apply coating anyway, so this will be a good "practice" platform. Thanks again for the help.

Bud