Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Where do I get shipping box for .60 airplane???

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where do I get shipping box for .60 airplane???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Sierra11861

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I get shipping box for .60 airplane???

I am having trouble finding a shipping box to fit a basic 60 size aircraft 64" wingspan and fuse with the tail measuring roughly 14" high (fin/rudder) and 26" wide (stab). In addition, when mailing parcel post with the USPS once the length and girth of the box goes over 108" there is roughly a $50 add on fee. Someone mentioned Greyhound, but I have a feeling they will smash it because every package I have received via Greyhound was smashed.

So do the math. A 64" wing leaves 108-64 or 44" for girth which divided by the 4 sides is 11" square. That is not near tall or wide enough to fit the 26" stab!.... The only way I can think of doing it is two boxes??? HELP!!!!!!!!! I looked at boxes at my local U-store-it and they had nothing near this size, they were mostly square shaped, not cigar shaped.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Where do I get shipping box for .60 airplane???

Try your local big box home improvement store or appliance store. See if they have a refrigerator box you can have. It will be way too big, but you can cut it down to fit the model.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Get over sized boxes at Pier One and bike shops also,, the hard part with Home depot is getting before they compact it, some times you'll get luck there though.
I do this all the time, you can cut and bend and build your ow, I just did that with a model, the box was 40x32x10, you'd never find a box that size
Another way is to build a 1x2 wood frame and hot glue the cardboard to that frame, tape the corners,
I've sent and received those through Greyhound without problems before
Old 09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Sierra;

Greetings from the ever hot 'Valley of the Sun'.

Re your large box problem; I do aggree with the comments/suggestions above, and can add possibly 2 more solutions. I ship/receive a lot of kits, some quite large, and there is nothing worse than receiving one damaged. Everyone feels bad, and just try and collect from the shippers, with their 800# loading gorillas'.....oooh boy! For a really big box I have found a convenient source, namely PENSKE TRUCK RENTAL outlets, they have the roughly 22x24x48" HD Wardrobe Moving boxes. They are extremely strong, + they also have a 2' tall or 30" tall smaller box....like tape the 2 boxes together.....whatever, and they are reasonably priced. Also, here in the Phoenix area, I have found that at some big paper/cardboard supply houses, [check your yellow pages], you can purchase cardboard sheets in 4x8' sizes, I have a good supply on hand, and simply wrap up a kit that I am going to ship, similar to wrapping with brown paper, a little 'tuffer' to handle mind you, trim to size with a sharp linoleum knife, glue it up with glue from the same supplier, + I also wrap up the boxes with the 2" wide clear plastic shipping tape re a handy dispenser, and naturally make my own little box end caps, and tape these in place. I find a good/inexpensive packing isolator is loosely crumpled/wadded up newpapers, presto your done, and you will have made a happy new Friend of whoever is receiving 'da kit/plane....UNDAMAGED....Tah DaH!

I hope this has been of help, [like: I've been dere/done dat!!], and am happy to share how. Will close, and let us all have a very happy and safe Labour Day Weekend, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Sierra11861

Thanks everyone for the useful info
Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Joe beat me to it. Penske and U-Haul for boxes, and ship via Greyhound or other bus service. Buy a big 'Fragile" stamp at Kinkos or a printer, plaster it all over.
Ed