Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Can you ID this plane??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you ID this plane??

I bought this plane as part of a large lot several months back....been flying for for a few months after a little fabrication and guess work, flys great but I have no idea what it is. Had a tapered nose I cut off to mount motor in a more novice friendly attitude, but is otherwise what I bought is what you see on the outside. Thought it might be a challenge for some of you more seasoned modellers, but really hope I get a good answer. Thanks...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ge95291.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	1483944   Click image for larger version

Name:	av69220.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1483945  
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default RE: Can you ID this plane??

Looks like a Joe Bridi design now Great Planes Kaos. Great pattern plane although I have'nt flown pattern in 25 years. I'm sure there are much more refind planes out now, but that one is still a winner in my book. Good luck with it.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks a bit like a .40 size Dirty Birdy?
(that is also a Joe Bridi kit )
Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Yea, could be a Kayos or Dirty Birdy, but its been kit bashed so much I can't tell. Wing looks a little long for either, but may just be the photo angle. ENJOY
Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

That, sir, is a Dirty Birdy. Were it a Kaos it would have a tapered trailing edge and a completely different tail shape.

Characteristics are; tapered leading edge and straight trailing edge, possession of a subfin, and general shape of the tail section.

The canopy has been left off and the fuselage has not been sanded to a more pleasing rounded shape. This does not represent any form of kit bashing more like a lack of energy to finish it off.

These are amazingly good fliers and you will be happy with it.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 AM
jp_boud

After several trips between the hanger (garage) and computer screen I believe that you sir are correct. I'm amazed at the knowledge here! I actually used this as a step up from a flat bottom trainer since I had no attachment to it, but found that it flew so well that I often leave the trainer at home. It's a great little plane, flys stable even in the wind. Guess we'll have to quit calling it that "John Deere plane". Definitely my favorite plane.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

All wrong.... That is a Birdie Forty By Global Kits. Designed by Bob McVickar for HobbyPeople.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: idoxlr8-RCU

All wrong.... That is a Birdie Forty By Global Kits. Designed by Bob McVickar for HobbyPeople.

A "Birdie Forty" would be what...?
A loose copy of a Dirty Birdy .40 correct!?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 AM
VCScott

idoxlr8-RCU is dead on, You got a rare Global birdie 40. I built one in 1992, got it real cheap from Hobby Shack with a junk Magnum gp 40. It was an imitation Dirty birdy/Kaos but the wing is very diferent, it's a swept taperd semi with a very thin section. Mine was fast, flew great and was easy to land. I flew it with no respect, used to drag the fin inverted on the ground. I finally destroyed the wing doing it, but I still have the fuselage. Nice find, kit planes from the 80's & 90's are my favorite. Scott

Name:	Yw67684.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1494919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83097.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1494920  
Old 09-04-2010, 06:48 PM
jp_boud

what can I say, seeing is believing. Makes me wonder if a new comer should be flying a "rare" bird......ah who am I kidding? That thing flys so nice....your right about landings, makes me look like a pro every time. It's old reliable, everytime out!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM
VCScott

That's cool you went from a trainer to this plane, it's not a typical second plane. Your Birdie looks like it was built very straight and clean. When we all built kits before arfs most guys weren't to good at it and nice planes really stood out. I wish now I had taken better care of mine. I plan on scratching out a new wing and flying it again someday. Hold on to it, your not likely to ever see another one.
If your interested. Wing Mfg. sells a canopy like the one it had, not sure about the length and cowlings are not to hard to build.
Here's a pic of whats left of my old birdie. Scott

Name:	Sq46214.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1495893  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
jp_boud

I almost feel bad that I cut the cowling off to be able to mount the engine upright in a more beginer friendly fashion. It's funny that this thing flys so well. Orignially I re-built it as a beater to tear up with another guy that wanted to learn to fly. I had so much trouble getting the servo's to fit and everything to balance out, the only thing that kept me going was spite! I was building to crash. Well one flight and I knew I couldn't do it. Hope to keep it together for a long time, and if it comes apart, well, guess that's when my building skills will increase. As far as the canopy, think I will leave it as is. Kinda gives it a bit of that "ugly stick", clean look. Good luck getting yours back in the air.