RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Model Airplane News getting pushy? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10006978-model-airplane-news-getting-pushy.html)

AmishWarlord 09-16-2010 02:33 PM

Model Airplane News getting pushy?

I got a one year subscription to Model Airplane News last April. A few weeks later they sent a letter saying how glad they where to have me as a subscriber and that they where giving me a chance to increase my subscription by two years. In June I got another letter saying that I'd help the magazine out with postage by going ahead and renewing now so they wont have to mail the renewal notice and as an extra bonus they where going to give me a great rate on a two year subscription. Today I got a "Renew Your Subscription Now" letter that contained "My best renewal deal ever" letter for a two year subscription for $49.95. I still have seven months to go on my one year subscription!

Don't they know that people are still ticked about losing subscription money when RCM folded and aren't going to make the same mistake twice by buying two or more years of a magazine subscription?

scale only 4 me 09-16-2010 04:13 PM

RE: Model Airplane News getting pushy?

They've be doing that for years,, it's nothing new,, 10 years ago when I subscribed it was the same story

skeeter_ca 09-16-2010 04:19 PM

They never send me renewal notices.

I buy them at the supermarket when i'm in the mood and they have some good content. The mag is too one sided for me to want every copy. It really pees me off when they come out with there big product issues and leave out some good manufactures probably because they wouldn't pay to be in it or another advertiser doesn't want them in it.

skeeter

AmishWarlord 09-16-2010 04:22 PM

Thanks Scale! I get lots of mags and have never seen so much junk mail from one. I wonder if the people that renew for two more get letters like this" Thanks for renewing for two additional years, Now is your chance to get two additional years for the amazingly low price of $.....".

Man I miss RCM.

carrellh 09-16-2010 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord
I wonder if the people that renew for two more get letters like this'' Thanks for renewing for two additional years, Now is your chance to get two additional years for the amazingly low price of $.....''.
I would bet the answer is yes.

DavidAgar 09-16-2010 08:28 PM

I to get the renewal notices from them. If you just keep renewing when you get them your subscription would be for about 60 years and they would still send you a reminder, Now that you are dead and buried, we would like you to renew for 2 more years, it is our best deal ever. Thankfully the recycling truck comes by once a week and it leaves my neighborhood full of subscription renewal notices. Good Luck, Dave

Hossfly 09-16-2010 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

I got a one year subscription to Model Airplane News last April. A few weeks later they sent a letter saying how glad they where to have me as a subscriber and that they where giving me a chance to increase my subscription by two years. In June I got another letter saying that I'd help the magazine out with postage by going ahead and renewing now so they wont have to mail the renewal notice and as an extra bonus they where going to give me a great rate on a two year subscription. Today I got a ''Renew Your Subscription Now'' letter that contained ''My best renewal deal ever'' letter for a two year subscription for $49.95. I still have seven months to go on my one year subscription!

Don't they know that people are still ticked about losing subscription money when RCM folded and aren't going to make the same mistake twice by buying two or more years of a magazine subscription?

Standard stuff and no one makes you answer to it. One word of caution, however, and that is there are several bogus operations that try to solicit you to make another subscription and your Credit Card is charged before you find out it's bogus. Before doing such, you might be better off if you CALL MAN and check if it is real or not.
Now for all the pseudo intellectuals that are so quick to down MAN, it is standard for a magazine to do these things as they can have a better handle on the available subscribers for their advertisers when negotiating long range planning. Such cuts their costs and makes better reading for the subscribers.

Just cool it!

vicman 09-16-2010 09:08 PM

I vowed never to subscribe again after all the renewal NOW notices. Like Skeeter, if it looks like a decent issue, I'll buy it. If not maybe they understand my vote and will do better the next month.

Tarasdad 09-16-2010 09:27 PM

I paid for a 2 year subscription and haven't gotten "renewal spam" #1 yet.

MetallicaJunkie 09-16-2010 10:58 PM

if you dont renew and ignore their letters they will give you a better deal

ec121 09-17-2010 10:42 AM

A business has to have a stable cash flow. It is easier to have a lot of long term subscriptions and money in the bank to pay bills, than go from year-to-year and wonder if the money is going to come in. Still gets irritating to get the ads. However, I am in the papermaking business, so the more junk mail the better for the paper companies. Junk mail pays my bills.

Hossfly 09-19-2010 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ec121

A business has to have a stable cash flow. It is easier to have a lot of long term subscriptions and money in the bank to pay bills, than go from year-to-year and wonder if the money is going to come in. Still gets irritating to get the ads. However, I am in the papermaking business, so the more junk mail the better for the paper companies. Junk mail pays my bills.

HA-HA-HA! Sorry this is off topic of the thread, but I couldn't resist. You must be getting lots of dollars rolling in from the political communities. Each day - 6 days a week - I get 1 to 25 letters requesting money for mostly political entities and a few proposed museums, etc., and no matter how many I send back requesting for them to remove me from their mailing list, they keep sending. [:@]
They use tons of paper for naught but I'm sure it doesn't hurt your business. Way-to-Go, ec121! I am glad someone profits from these garbage sellers.

OK back to the regular scheduled program. ;)

Scar 09-19-2010 12:55 PM

Way back when I started subscribing, I always chose the max length subscription. RC Report, RCM, MAN, now FLY RC. AMA also. I never got renewal notices from anyone after the initial order, until the renewal was about due.

Until RCM went under. I resubscribed, and about a year later I started getting renewal slips from them, seemed like every week or so. I knew I had a year or so left on the subscription. Then the renewal slips (and the issues) stopped coming.

I think I had about 6 or 8 issues left on my subscription when RC Report closed the doors, and they offered to refund if you sent a request. I sent the request, just to see if they'd honor it, and they did.

MAN doesn't bother me until my subscription is due for renewal. If they did when I first subscribed, I've forgotten it.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

50+AirYears 09-30-2010 01:39 AM

I've been a subscriber to MAN for a lot of years. In fact, since back when they were a full service model aircraft magazine.
I have been getting quite a few renewal offers, including a couple from magazine subscription agencies. I will not be renewing. I am also sorry to see that they have apparently eliminated many plans from their plan service, including some older CL and FF plans I had wanted to get. They have become too expensive for me when the only thing of regular interest to me is the occasional hints and tips, and the engine column. The next time I get to Toledo, I may mention my attitude to them at their booth.

Interestingly, for well over a year Carstens (Flying Models, Railroad Model Craftsman) has been sending out warnings about unauthorized subscription services. I believe the most recent issue has mentioned that they have taken legal action against one that was charging for subscriptions that the subscribers never got. I don't recall having read about any other magazine of any type doing anything like this public service. I will be renewing the FM sub for multi years. They are something MAN has ceased to be-a true full service model airplane magazine.

Dick T. 10-08-2010 11:55 AM

Magazines use their subscriptions numbers as a basis for soliciting advertisers and setting rates for them. They really don't give a squat if you enjoy the publication or not...just keep subscribing.

Flying Models is the only model magazine I subscribe too (other than the no choice AMA crap). I feel it is the only 'modelers' US magazine left.

AmishWarlord 10-08-2010 12:17 PM

Thanks for the reminder Dick. I had forgotten about them.

I can't believe that Flying Models is still around and RCM is gone. I would have bet that Flying Models would have gone first.

Dick T. 10-08-2010 12:37 PM

My LHS (which is about ready to close for good) stopped carrying Flying models some years ago and I, too, had forgotten them.

Happened into a Hobby Town early his year and while perusing their magazine rack picked up several issues of FM that contained features I had not seen in a model magazine in years. Sent in the subscription card and became a happy camper.

MA and MAN have become publications for egotistical writers and big kids playing with toys. Very little modeling just more of "me, me, me..." and "whoee this RTF rocks!".