RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   For what it's worth (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10645093-what-its-worth.html)

retvsp 07-29-2011 09:41 AM

For what it's worth

Hi folks, Just curious as to what you think about me getting screwed in an old deal. I purchased an FSR engine from lanil4 about a year ago and foolishly never looked at it closely- my fault. Now I've learned the engine is trash having been crashed or something with a cracked casing etc. So, I have tried to contact this member and he has refused to answer me. This makes me belive he knew full well what he sold me was junk, and I have told him this. Anyway just curious about your thoughts, I know I should have checked it long ago, but foolishly just trusted this "member".

Kmot 07-29-2011 11:50 AM

RE: For what it's worth

Well, in all honesty you were foolish as you said. Just plain dumb. Ignorant. An idiot. :p

However, I can totally sympathize, because I did exactly the same thing. :p

I bought an engine, not from an RCU member, but offsite. I spent a LOT of money on it, and being the trusting soul that I was, I beleived everything the seller said and took his word for it. When I received the engine I gave it a cursory once over and then put it on a shelf for future use. Fast forward five years, and I take the engine down because I want to use it. Now that I am into getting it running, I see that it was not as described.

It was described as "new, never used". However, in truth it is well used, and even modified in a very amateurish way. To the point it is actually damaged, and need replacement parts. The sellers contact info is no longer valid, and his website no longer exists either.

So, I was foolish, dumb, ignorant, and an idiot to not give it a thorough inspection at the time I received it. The only thing I can say in my defense, is that at the time I was buying a lot of used engines and all of them were coming to me as described, and so I did not pay too much attention to 'this' particular engine. Wish I had....

rmenke 07-29-2011 03:35 PM

Sad but true:

I think we all have been had buy someone pushing off a bad deal down the line. Wat is bad is that the screwee can't warn the rest of us on rcu or other similar sites because it might damage their revenue from prospective adsvertisers. This is understandable and reasonable.

I think we all try to purchase things with some buyer protection, like E-bay. Then you find that they will not cover things unless you did this or that. You have no protection at e-Bay if you do not pay via pay pal. Visa is no help on out of USA purchases. It will take a lot of reading through pages of hype adds before you find that out.

I purchased a "Beast" at $160.00 from Gravity RC in Iseral and paid via Visa in 2010. After waiting to receive the bird for months, I started asking the vendor where my stuff was, I received a response stateing they do not import into the USA. A RCU moderator knows the Gravity RC owner and tried to get him to send my money back to no avail.

As life would have it, I now have two grandsons in the military in Afganistan. One is a cage figerter want a-be, the other who loves his demolition job of blowing things up big time. Both will be on leave and intends to visit Iserial as tourists in the near future. Naturally I am tempted to ask them to make a housecall. There should be a better way to hold the dishonest accountable

retvsp 07-29-2011 07:04 PM

You are right, and I've been thinking about a trip to Michigan. The problem with both sites is you can't even correct or change undeserved bad feedback.

rgm762 07-30-2011 04:52 PM

sadly buying anything online anymore can turn an optimist into a pessimist very quickly, so i try and research any company or individual i can before buying from them, but 'm still very nervous about doing it, I know it's the old "not if I'll get burned, but when"

fredscz 07-30-2011 05:16 PM

I did the research on one guy and he really put the screws to me. Dave Cranford aka VooDoo something took my money and disappeared. Sort of thought maybe he was just a fluke but Joe Eddy aka rc.crazy who used to be on here all the time took my money and will not refund it or acknowledge my emails or messages. Times are tough but I wouldn't lower myself to the level of these liars and thieves.
Fred

retvsp 07-30-2011 06:53 PM

Yup, this guy, "lanil4" is still aroung and getshis emails andPM's but isn't man enough to toeven respond. He had somepositivefeedback, but that really doesn't mean much I guess. I had a couple "bad" ones, but they are also untrue and you can't do anything about it. You just have to take it as a lesson learned I guess and try not to take it out on the next guy. As i said "for whatit's worth". I still will try to trust, but it makes it that muchharder.I had a guy in Austrailia buy an engine, told me it was bad, so I took his word for it and mailed him a replacement free and free shipping, He offered to pay the extra,but it was my fault andI took responsibility. Myword means something to me.</p>

jester_s1 07-31-2011 10:49 AM

I don't trust anybody that I haven't known for at least 5 years face to face, and even then it's iffy. It's a safe assumption that anyone selling RC stuff online is unloading bad stuff unless a plausible reason is given for the sale. If I buy something, it gets the roto rooter treatment the day it arrives. People who misrepresent their stuff are usually the lazy type, and they aren't going to do anything for you unless they think it'll be more trouble for them not to. Immediate responses help to create the impression that the buyer is resourceful, so they tend to get better responses.

Gizmo-RCU 07-31-2011 11:37 AM

I purchased an engine here about a year ago. It looked pristine and was said to have had about a gallon thru it. I ran it on the stand right after receiving it. Burned out the heavy after-run oil and found an engine with almost no compression, it was worn out.
Had it returned immediately to the seller. He claimed ignorance and then later advised that he found out that his son had loaned it out to a friend who ran the heck out of it. (benefit of the doubt in play here).
The seller did make it right. Had I not run it right away I would have no claim.[:@]

jester_s1 07-31-2011 01:03 PM

I wouldn't agree that the OP was dumb or did something wrong though. He bought something that the seller described as good. The fault lies with the seller. It would have been great and extra wise of the OP to check out his purchase to keep the seller honest, but there's no reason to put any blame on the victim.

retvsp 07-31-2011 02:39 PM

Thanks

lanil4 08-05-2011 05:12 AM

In defense of myself the engine was purchased 21 months ago (early November 2009) not about a year ago which leads me to believe he may have my engine confused with someone elses engine. He purchased two engines from me, one was a O.S. .40 NIB and the other a NIB HB PDP. I don't know which is sillier, me trying to sell a NIB engine that has been flown and getting dirty with a cracked case or a person opening a NIB engine box and not noticing it has been used and crashed (which should be obvious without looking closely). My feedback speaks for itself. I sure would prefer my 100% versus his 96%.

retvsp 08-05-2011 06:15 AM

Nice try, I don
t care how long ago it was,it was yours and Iknow the difference, it wasn't NIB and you know it. Nuff said, you obviously would have less than 100% if I had discovered it sooner. I didn't expect anything less than a denial from you.

aglaser 08-05-2011 06:32 AM

I thought NIB meant NEW in box.. not new and crashed..

retvsp 08-05-2011 06:58 AM

You are right and it was better looking than dipicted in his response an obvious attempt to deceive, I'm not blind if I'd received a dirty engine I think I would have noticed. but, he is right about the time element, my mistake,I also moved back across the country- maybe that caused it.I don''t know many of us that confuse engines. Oh well, as I mistated I didn't expect anything "more" from him- not "less". I could not have got less. And my feedback on "another" site, 195 all positive. ( He has all of 32 here.)

deadstickdan 08-05-2011 08:36 PM

NIB.......NOW IT'S BAD!!:D

jester_s1 08-06-2011 05:01 AM

Looking at your history, I see two FSR engines you bought about a year ago, but neither was from lanil4. One was from nero1156 and the other CaptBud330. You did also buy a .40 FSR from lanil4 just under 2 years ago as he said, and two bigger ones from Mr67Stang a few months later. So could it be that your bad engine is from either nero1156 or CaptBud330? The latter seems to have quit the forum the same day he sold you the engine, which would make sense if he were quitting the hobby and didn't care if he ripped someone off.

retvsp 08-06-2011 08:01 AM

You're right it wasabout 2 yrs ago, as I said in a previous post I messed up o the date,and the others as you said arebigger not .40's,
with the exception of Nero1156 whom I know and know his, but thanks for checking.