RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   A123 super battery (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10758212-a123-super-battery.html)

dirtybird 10-10-2011 10:43 AM

A123 super battery

I have an older motor home that has a big Ford V8 motor.
When I last put it in storage I left the A/C blower on and ruined the battery.
I made several attempts to start it with jumper cables from my car with no luck even after I hooked it up and let it run for 1/2 hour.
I had heard of using A123 batteries to jump start a motor. Since I had several batteries that I have pulled from an airplane I decided to try them. I made up a 5s2p pack. I used 5s since A123's drop to 2.7 V/cell under a heavy load for a total of 13.5 V.
It started the motor right up.
So far I have started that motor 4 times with that pack. The battery in the mh won't come up to voltage even after 1/2 hour run.
I think a 5s1p pack would do it.
Since A123's can be stored fully charged and have very little self discharge they make a very good back up for a car battery.

jester_s1 10-10-2011 11:07 AM

RE: A123 super battery

Nah, I don't think so. The charging system on a car engine is designed to keep a lead acid battery in proper working order. An A123 would be ruined in short order in that application. With the push to make cars lighter these days, if there was a usable substitute for the lead acid battery it would be in use by now. You killed your lead battery because you left something on. A123's or just about anything else would have been ruined that way too, so going with a different battery technology wouldn't help. What would help is a battery tender for your RV to keep the battery up while you're not using it.

Minnreefer 10-10-2011 11:18 AM

I think he means that one could keep a pack of A123's in the car for an emergency starter battery, not as a replacement, but something to jump start the car. I could be wrong, but I think that is what he means.

Jon

BarracudaHockey 10-10-2011 11:24 AM

I've never taken one apart but given the charge and holding a charge charachteristics, I wouldn't be shocked if thats whats in those little portable jumper cable kits.

dirtybird 10-10-2011 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

I think he means that one could keep a pack of A123's in the car for an emergency starter battery, not as a replacement, but something to jump start the car. I could be wrong, but I think that is what he means.

Jon
You are correct. Go to the head of the class!
You could keep it in your glove compartment.

Bill Vargas 10-10-2011 01:11 PM

A car or a MH doesn t need a battery to run,,, just for starting,,, thats what the Alternator is for. Vehicle batteries are an accessory to the electrical system,,,

BV

jester_s1 10-10-2011 06:11 PM

It makes perfect sense for an emergency unit. Sorry to have misunderstood.

eddieC 10-11-2011 07:48 AM

A car or a MH doesn t need a <font color="#000000">battery</font> to run,,, just for starting,,, thats what the Alternator is for.
Some, not all. Some alternators are not self-exciting, so they won't keep the motor running without a 12V source.