RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   FAA Rumor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10787158-faa-rumor.html)

barchiola 10-28-2011 03:28 PM

FAA Rumor

I was told today that the FAA sent out approximately 125 cease-and-desist letters this week to people operating RC equipment for hire. Was also told that effective immediately all RC activities have to be confined to designated fields.
Is there any validity to this?
Thanks,
Bart

RCVFR 10-28-2011 07:42 PM

RE: FAA Rumor

If you are looking for validity, why not ask those who "told" you this? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif

barchiola 10-29-2011 04:51 AM

wow, what a contribution you've made to this thread, thanks! apparently there isn't any truth to this latest FAA-directive rumor although I've got personal knowledge of one person who received a letter and 2nd hand info on another. as for the volume of letters that may or may not have gone out, unless people start talking about it it's hard to say exactly what is happening and to what degree.

carrellh 10-29-2011 05:11 AM

Unfortunately, unless someone reading the thread has seen the letter, there's no real way to know anything.

If ALL RC activities must be confined to 'designated' fields they are going to need thousands of letters and some sort of widespread public notice.

Can you get a copy of the letter?
Blank out the personal info and post it here?

barchiola 10-29-2011 05:23 AM

the letter is personal but I can say it isn't what you might expect. the investigation is addressing the operation of an uncertificated aircraft by an unlicensed individual. this isn't just about RC, the FAA is extending the definition of aircraft to the smallest of models. this isn't such a huge surprise but are all compensated RC flights being suspended/investigated? i find this disturbing.

BarracudaHockey 10-29-2011 05:27 AM

Nothing about it on the FAA or AMA websites.

Rafael23cc 10-30-2011 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: barchiola

the letter is personal but I can say it isn't what you might expect. the investigation is addressing the operation of an uncertificated aircraft by an unlicensed individual. this isn't just about RC, the FAA is extending the definition of aircraft to the smallest of models. this isn't such a huge surprise but are all compensated RC flights being suspended/investigated? i find this disturbing.

RC "for hire" has been a discussion for quite some time already. If the claim here is real im not surprised one bit. A lot of aerial photography companies shut down a while ago because of this.

Rafael

topspin 10-30-2011 07:27 AM

RC for hire companies may have ceased operation because there is no longer any money to be made. If the FAA was sending out letters, even to a very small segment of the hobby the AMA would be reporting all about how they are preparing a delegation to Washington.

I'm not saying it's not true but haven't seen anything from the AMA yet so I'm skeptical.

MajorTomski 10-30-2011 07:36 AM

Well for an FAA FSDO to sent out a letter, it first has to have a regulation or guidance as to what is being violated.

We haven't seen anything come out that gives them the authority to send such letter.

JustPlaneSweet 10-30-2011 07:39 AM

They do have this to work with:

CFR 47 Part 95
§ 95.213 (R/C Rule 13) May I be paid to use my R/C station?
(a) You may not accept direct or indirect payment for transmitting with an R/C station.
(b) You may use an R/C station to help you provide a service, and be paid for that service, as long as you are paid only for the service and not for the actual use of the R/C station.

topspin 10-30-2011 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: JustPlaneSweet

They do have this to work with:

CFR 47 Part 95
§ 95.213 (R/C Rule 13) May I be paid to use my R/C station?
(a) You may not accept direct or indirect payment for transmitting with an R/C station.
(b) You may use an R/C station to help you provide a service, and be paid for that service, as long as you are paid only for the service and not for the actual use of the R/C station.

That says it's perfectly legal since the aerial photos or videos are the service being paid for and not the RC aircraft itself. So that right there slams the lid on this one.

carrellh 10-30-2011 12:56 PM

Until someone posts the actual contents of a letter, there is no way to know what rule may be involved.

scale only 4 me 10-30-2011 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Until someone posts the actual contents of a letter, there is no way to know what rule may be involved.
Even that wont stop runaway speculation, it's a RCU plague

eddieC 11-04-2011 08:37 PM

I've got personal knowledge of one person who received a letter
So, it would seem simple for you to post what your 'personal knowledge' is, since you're the only one with any proof.

"Well? We're waiting!"   -  Caddyshack, Judge Smails   :eek: 

vicman 11-06-2011 05:38 AM

Even that wont stop runaway speculation, it's a RCU plague
Roger That!!

Looked like a troll to me the first time I read it.

rcrunnerdawn 11-07-2011 12:06 PM

haha thats pretty good