RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   ARF's ruined my hobby (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10827038-arfs-ruined-my-hobby.html)

dirtybird 11-24-2011 08:24 AM

ARF's ruined my hobby

ARF's ruined my hobby.
I used to enjoy building and flying RC aircraft and taking them to and showing them off at a fly in.
Currently I cannot build an aircraft as precisely as the jig built Chinese ARF's with professionally applied covering without spending an enormous amount of time. Then I am reluctant to fly it.
The fly ins I used to attend have either been taken over by youngsters flying 3D or have disappeared.
To top it off 3D flying looks to me like someone tossed a cat up in the air - not like an airplane flies. I have no desire to do it even if I could.
I need a new hobby.

warningshot 11-24-2011 08:58 AM

RE: ARF's ruined my hobby

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ARF's ruined my hobby.
I used to enjoy building and flying RC aircraft and taking them to and showing them off at a fly in.
Currently I cannot build an aircraft as precisely as the jig built Chinese ARF's with professionally applied covering without spending an enormous amount of time. Then I am reluctant to fly it.
The fly ins I used to attend have either been taken over by youngsters flying 3D or have disappeared.
To top it off 3D flying looks to me like someone tossed a cat up in the air - not like an airplane flies. I have no desire to do it even if I could.
I need a new hobby.
So how did ARF airplanes ruin your ability to build from plans or kits?

piper_chuck 11-24-2011 09:08 AM

Personally, I've never let others opinions, buying, building, or flying choices have much influence on mine. I learned to fly over 30 years ago with a .15 powered trainer. The next few planes were "larger" .25 sized. After all those years, the .25 size range (.25-.36) is still my favorite despite hearing over and over from others that bigger is better. I've built a few larger planes, but didn't have as much fun flying them. I've seen plenty of really good pilots flying 3D, but decided early on that Iwasn't interested in it. My favorite plane to take to the field is one that's got hundreds of flights on it and is nothing special to look at. The reason it's my favorite is it flies great and I don't care if Icrash it or not.

So, Iwouldn't let other people ruin the hobby for you. Build what you want and fly it the way that makes you happy.

bogbeagle 11-24-2011 10:01 AM

The ARFs are better than I can build, too.

Before ARFs, there were still loads of people who built better than I can. Nothing changes.

tailskid 11-24-2011 10:04 AM

If an ARF is better built than what you can do.....IMPROVE your building! (by building more!)

Red B. 11-24-2011 10:28 AM

...Currently I cannot build an aircraft as precisely as the jig built Chinese ARF's with professionally applied covering without spending an enormous amount of time. Then I am reluctant to fly it....
What does it matter? Build to the best of your abilities whithout overdoing it. The aircraft doesn't have to look great as long as it is reasonable straight. The big difference with your aircraft compard to all those ARFs is that you can proudly say "I built it myself". Don't let others destroy the fun and satisfaction of building and flying your own model aircraft.

tailskid 11-24-2011 10:40 AM

I rarely assemble an ARf without some modifications, so it is easier to build a kit to begin with and do it my way!

oskartek 11-24-2011 10:53 AM

ARF's ruined my hobby.
I need a new hobby.
Looks to me like another whining TROLL wanting to blame others for their shortcomings.

Happy flying, Oscar

scale only 4 me 11-24-2011 12:49 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but I do wonder what the motivation for is. Maybe he's just reaching out for some encouragement

I build kits and or ARFs for me,, not for the peanut gallery at the field.

dirtybird 11-24-2011 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I wouldn't go that far, but I do wonder what the motivation for is. Maybe he's just reaching out for some encouragement

I build kits and or ARFs for me,, not for the peanut gallery at the field.
Nah, I'm just whining.

I once attended a contest in Dubeborf, Switcherland (the 1960 internationals won by Ed Kazmirsky).
There was a Dutchman there that had built his airplane, radio and his engine from scratch. That was a real modeler.
Ed didn't build his engine or radio but he designed and built his airplane.
The last fly in I attended was in Concrete, Wa. A beautiful place with a long paved runway on the gateway to wilderness Wa. In the past there had been as many as 50 fliers.
Three fliers showed up. Me and two others. Its sad.
I have several aircraft ready to fly now. Two scratch built, one kit built and several electric ARF's. I can't seem to get out and fly, though, because I keep wondering whats the point?

eddieC 11-24-2011 02:08 PM

Not a troll, some truth in his statement although I would NEVER admit an ARF is built better than I could do it. I've had to mod every one I've bought, from minor tweaks to ones that took longer to build than a kit (weak glue joints, weak gear, weak wing mounts, etc). About the only ones that need little-to-no work are foamies. Even big-name ARFs have things that need work, or slip by QC.

Despite their all but disappearing at hobby shops, I still find plenty of kits at swap meets. Fortunately, there are kit-cutters who can recreate almost any kit ever produced. We do need more kit makers like Stevens Aeromodel, they have great stuff.

acerc 11-24-2011 02:16 PM

ARF's may be takeing over but why is it when one of us builder's go to the field all those ARF guy's are drooling over our plane's?
Because those that can't- ARF, and those that can get drooled over. I have had all of the above type's but building is my first love. My second love is watching those drool.
In my hobby anyway.

blikseme300 11-24-2011 02:46 PM

Who are we trying to please anyway? I own a number of top-notch ARF's but have much satisfaction from my own creations.

When I fly my Comp-ARF Extra I enjoy the precision flying ability it easily lends itself to. I could never build such a machine from scratch.

Today I flew my scratch built 100" Uber Stick and the satisfaction index was off the charts. Not only does it fly well - I BUILT IT!

I still build kits and do scratch built aircraft when I have time. ARF's are just another dimension added to my hobby and I use them when it suits my fancy.

As the shrink said to the patient after he said, "I think I am inferior to others", "then maybe you are, NEXT!"

Enjoy the hobby or find another.

Bliksem

flyallday 11-24-2011 10:39 PM

Nah, I'm just whining.

I have several aircraft ready to fly now. Two scratch built, one kit built and several electric ARF's. I can't seem to get out and fly, though, because I keep wondering whats the point?
What's the point? You must be joking. I can't get flying out of my head, I even pick one of my planes and fly in my head instead of counting sheep before I go to sleep. I think ARF's are great and have put me back into the hobby after having left for many years. ARF's also turn into kits after the first crashhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif

Harry<br type="_moz" />

Jetdktr 11-25-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

original:dirtybird

"To top it off 3D flying looks to me like someone tossed a cat up in the air - not like an airplane flies. I have no desire to do it even if I could."

SO true So true:D

MetallicaJunkie 11-25-2011 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: warningshot

ARF's ruined my hobby.
I need a new hobby.
So how did ARF airplanes ruin your ability to build from plans or kits?

sounds like a cheap excuse from old timer "old timer"[8D]

yamaharley 11-25-2011 01:22 AM

When I was a young kid in the 90's these wonderful 'new' ARF's on the scene were wayyy out of my price range.. I couldnt afford one and only the one's with large disposable incomes could afford them and the old .91 ducted fan jets ...it makes me laugh thinking back only 20 years ago now.

All I ever remember were kit and scratch builders at my flying club, every model aircraft was unique! I was lucky enough to be shown how to use tissue and dope correctly and I still swear by it!

As time goes by, some things change, some things don't, but one thing that always changes and goes round and round are trends!
In one way I believe ARF's which have flooded the market immensely have brought down the price somewhat in certain categories of ARF's.

I also fell into the ARF trap out of choice, but mainly curiosity, building time constraints or maybe even laziness on my part, turned me to ARF's for a while.
I agree with what some of you said in previous posts, that every ARF I've ever bought I've had to modify in some way! Some were just badly thrown together, some were badly designed and majorly tail-heavy, and others were just plain dangerous with wings that wouldn't support its own weight!

I've experienced rubber band, control line, choppers, minature, sport, scale and giant scale.. ARF's are just another niche market especially for newcomers to R/C flying whom may be diswayed easily if they lose their model and $$ which they have taken forever to build.

To me,  ARF's are an easy commodity and useful as expendable ARF trainers for beginners. You can't really build and finish an ARF trainer for $99 and don't forget to add your labour if you build it as a kit or from scratch too! Thanks China haha!

ARF's have their place. They certainly have become more affordable in the last several years. They are popular because they "appear" to be an easy option, but nothing's always as it seems, as others have said before me, they can require as much modification as a repair would take and lots of labour before it's even ready for flight !

These days I scratch build because I can't seem to find what I want in ARF form. Kits are not as popular therefore most retail outlets limit their shelf space and reserve their space for current trends!  ARF's!!

I was in awe  20 years ago, walking into a hobby shop and seeing countless 'kits' everywhere and personal scratch built models hanging from its ceiling being sold on consignment!!

Whatever it is you want to fly or build, just keep doing what makes you happy!  The sad thing is these days is that the art of scratch building and the fundamentals of wood working and building techniques and innovation aren't really being passed on to the younger generation... just go buy another ARF some'll say !!

Personally, ARF's just don't  'do it' for me anymore. For me Aircraft modelling is an art of not just about creativity, but also ingenuity, and personal self achievement!

My most favourite aircraft of all time has never been ARF'd, or kitted, so I had to scratch build it!

Overall, Kits, plan building, or ARF's / RTF's are no better than the other because everyone will defend their own opinion!
 It just comes down to what you prefer, what suits you best.
Don't go for the 'easy' option because there never is an 'easy option'. Build and fly what you love!  ...If the other people drool over your scratch built masterpiece then that's fine! There is always a reason behind envy or admiration, maybe they'll be inspired by you and build what they've always wanted to build and fly!!

Everyone also has their own favourite competition! For me it's not 3D. I respect 3D, but will never do it as it doesn't satisfy me in this hobbty. I'm a traditionalist and prefer every aspect of scale and scale flight, but the next person who posts, may enjoy pattern or pylon!

I may investigate a new trend when one surfaces, but I'll always enjoy this hobby the way I want to perceive it.

Just enjoy the hobby in the way you want to express yourself.  :)   </p>

378 11-25-2011 02:03 AM

No, ARFs did not ruin the hobby. They've made it better. They let people get into the air quickly and easily, and let people who don't find building fun enjoy the hobby. They also provide people who would like to build, but for whatever reason lack the space or tools to do so, get into the air. There's still plenty of kits floating around if you don't like them, so buy those and stop whining.

It's just as bad as the car guys whining about RTRs...

hemiflyer1 11-25-2011 03:18 AM

I get emotionally attached to my planes and when I used to crash it was easier to lose an arf. You ever notice the beater planes are the ones that stick around the longest. Maybe thats just me.  Of course I hardly crash anymore. But seriously....to see all that work go down the crapper is wrong. And lets not forget some of us have more then one hobby that takes a lot of time and money also.

jaav 11-25-2011 03:44 AM

I buy ARFs and scratch build. I dosnt worry me..
3D flying Ive tried it, others do it. But it does nothing to me. I like to fly.

Wakko0o 11-25-2011 04:43 AM

ARF..... Well I can't comment on that there's a lot of companies out there trying to out win there competitor so having one person build better that they are is tuffffff BUT hey it can be done.

Now the 3D flying I agreed with you 110%
I'm 29yo started flying maybe 5 years ago and never did I like 3d flying. Looks just like you said throwing a cat up in the air. But hey people like that kind of flying, you know what I get of people flying that crazy?? That the components on that RC can take a beating and I myself love quality products! I'll stick with my simple flying and perfecting my landings and take-offs thank you very much.
3d flying does look cool though.

rchad 11-25-2011 05:11 AM

You shouldnt let ARF's ruin your hobby. It's as simple as don't buy one. Just build your own and so what if it's not straight or pretty as a ARF. Take pride in that you built it. I personally would not be in the hobby if it was not for ARF's and know several others that would not be either if they had to stick build. I have never had a problem with any ARF I bought. I also don't have the time to stick build with raising a kid and all of my other hobbies I am into. I love 3D flying. It's like the Rock n Roll of RC flying. All of the new young people I see think it is just the coolest thing. They would much rather see me tearing up the sky with 3D instead of slow poking and doing a couple of rolls or loops. Once you can do 3D flying you will think the same. :D

Instructor 11-25-2011 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:I have to agree with a lot of other post in this article. ARF's have brought other flyers out to the field that wouldn't be there if they had to build their own. I'm not saying they couldn't build their own plane, but just that they don't have the time to do it. I'm like a lot of other flyers out there. I think 3D shows a lot skill and timing when it done right. Will I do it, no. I have been building and flying model planes for 50 years. Yes you could say I'm a little old to be doing 3D. But on the other hand, I fly 160MPH turbine jets. Here is a little plane that I just scratch built. I wanted to prove to some people that I could do it. It has a 40" wingspan and weights 1.5 lbs ready to fly, with the battery. It only took about two clicks of down elevator trim to fly hands off. This just goes to show you that it can be done if you want to do it. It looks more like the real thing than the ARF out there because I built it that way. Could I have built it like the ARF's, sure I could, but I like the looks of the real plane. Don't give up and tell yourself that you can't build the plane that you want, just take a little time and do it right. Now that you might have an ARF flying, sit down and look how it's built. You might supprise yourself when you draw out the drawing and cut out the parts and build it. Maybe it won't look like you think it should, but if you give up, then you'll never get any better at BUILDING.........

rgburrill 11-25-2011 06:41 AM

I don't agree with the ARF thing but I do agree with the 3D comments.  3D is not flying, it is pulling a weight around with an oversize engine.

pmerritt 11-25-2011 06:48 AM

Wah wah wah wah waaaaah.   If we're lucky, you'll quit the hobby, take up undewater basket weaving, or maybe crochet and get off this site with your childish rants.