RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   How to You fly, after fighting with wife (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10944904-how-you-fly-after-fighting-wife.html)

ES CONTROL 02-05-2012 08:05 AM

How to You fly, after fighting with wife

After many years, my wife still doesent care for RC airplanes.
And thats OK, Cause I sing the fishing song, Every time I go flying.
But I need time to unwind so I can fly better. But as you know as time goes on , you know she is getting madder .
I findly made up my mind I do not care. I am going to have fun!!!
Is this the way it is supposed to be???
I only fly 50 some times a year.<br type="_moz" />

Prairie Mike 02-05-2012 08:10 AM

RE: How to You fly, after fighting with wife

If she doesn't like R/C airplanes, she better be damn good in bed. Otherwise get rid of her.
The other thing you can do is go fly more often.
She'll get madder and madder and hopefully stroke out so you won't have to put up with her crap anymore.

acerc 02-05-2012 08:15 AM

Not really. A relationship should be 50/50. There's together time and personnal time. Me and my wife get along great. We have our life together, but we also have our time apart. It took a few year's to get her to understand we may have became one but we are still individual's. And as much as Ilove her I do not want to spend every waken moment with her.But once she got it our marriage became stronger.

STUKA BARRY 02-05-2012 08:33 AM

Get her involved with other modelers wives. They can have a party at the field while the modelers fly. Or, just give her $50.00 to go shopping while you go flying. Or, you could just man-up and tell her your going flying and she better have dinner ready when you get back. A buddy of mine did that and when he got home he found fuselages sticking out of the garbage can at the end of the driveway. Would've luv'd to been a fly on the wall for that coversation. Tell her at least she knows where your at and not at a strip club doing who knows what with who knos who. She'll get the message....

flyinwalenda 02-05-2012 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: acerc

Not really. A relationship should be 50/50. There's together time and personnal time. Me and my wife get along great. We have our life together, but we also have our time apart. It took a few tear's to get her to understand we may have became one but we are still individual's. And as much as I love her I do not want to spend every waken moment with her. But once she got it our marriage became stronger.
You pulled a George Costanza and turned on the tears ? :D

acerc 02-05-2012 09:01 AM

Oh that's funny. That type-o has been corrected.

vicman 02-05-2012 09:05 AM

A buddy of mine did that and when he got home he found fuselages sticking out of the garbage can at the end of the driveway.
Message to self, be sure to take the models I like to the field with me after a confrontation with the wife.:eek:

MinnFlyer 02-05-2012 09:47 AM

I stopped fighting with my wife. There was no point in it - She always wins anyway

Dago Red 02-05-2012 10:25 AM

i fight till i give up..then its yep....yep...yep...yep..your right...yep...are we done...crap..i opened a new can of worms!!!!!

ES CONTROL 02-05-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks guys.  I Just would like her support.  And it seems impossiable.

countilaw 02-05-2012 11:09 AM

Maybe you spend too much time in the shop, at the field and at work and not enough with her. How about trying to get her involved. Women love to be creative. Ask her advise about the next paint and color scheme on your plane. Find her something to do that would make her feel like you respect her opinion and want her help.

It worked for me.

Frank

hugger-4641 02-05-2012 11:24 AM

My wife also could care less about RC planes. But if or when she mentions it, I remind her that I could care less about shopping, building or tending her flower beds, decorating the house, going to watch a movie, etc, etc., but I do those things with her because of my love for her. I don't expect her to fly planes with me, but I do expect her to respect my flying time the same way I do her interests. She has come to understand this, and also has come to appreciate that fact that my daughters do enjoy my hobby and it gives us "father -daughter" time, which is also important.

foodstick 02-05-2012 12:14 PM

Every time I read a thread similar to this i want to use that old joke about..

"My wife doesn't like my hobby.....but my girlfriend does !"

I actually knew a guy YEARS ago that would take his girlfriend with him when searching for crashed planes in the timber, never once did I see him take his wife :D hahahahahahahahha

Dago Red 02-05-2012 12:18 PM

has your wife gone flying with you..seen much of it. ive been into r/c planes for about 12 years..but had a 7 year down time, military, she had never seen it..now im jumping into it..she seems to like it and mentioned maybe trying a few times herself...weve only been married about 5 years, but she knows shes got herhobbies, horses and full size cars..and i got mine r/c planes and full size cars.

pmerritt 02-05-2012 12:41 PM

If you are choosing your hobby over your wife, you'll end up married to the hobby and not the wife.  She will end up getting alimony and child suport and you won't have a hobby due to financial distress anyway. 
No hobby is worth the conflict with one's spouse.  You vowed to "have and to hold", to honor and (in the old days) obey. 
Which one of the two will be beside you in that rocking chair on the front porch in 40 years holding your hand and honoring you? 
No choice.  Those that take their own selfish hobby over a relationship are destined to live alone.  Get a divorce.  Give her the respect she deserves and move on.  She'll find someone better, EASILY!

Wingspam 02-05-2012 12:56 PM

ES

I fully understand your pain, I have been flying for almost 10 years now and my wife thinks its a waste of time and money. She has visited the flying field 4 times in all, and 3 of them where becasue her mom and sister came out to watch, they had a freaking blast. I have introduced her to many of the women in our club and she would barely talk to them. We have been married for almost 15 years and have given up several things because she didnt like them. I have hunted since I was old enough to carry my dads guns, gave that up because she said it was cruel, gave up bowling becasue she said it was boring and have almost given up fishing just to try and make her happy. So I finally decided last March I am here to make me happy and if she wants to see me on weekends she has an open invitation to come to the flying field..
I am not saying its the best way to handle it, but it is working for the moment.

flyinwalenda 02-05-2012 01:12 PM

All women are evil(varying degrees) and just plane nuts. Main reasons I haven't been married ! ;)

BobbyMcGee 02-05-2012 01:19 PM

I tell my wife I'm going flying (or to hang out at the field), but I actually go to see my girlfriend.

When I tell my girlfriend I'm going flying, I actually do go flying.

So, I go flying about 20% of the time I actually tell my wife that I went flying.

It's a great excuse to get away from the wife without her ever checking up on you.

I gave up flying for several years at one point, but never told my wife. All that time, I still told her I was going to the field.

pdm52956 02-05-2012 01:23 PM

My wife wants nothing at all to do with RC or airplanes at all for that matter. She has no problem with me being in aviation nor me being involved with RC since she knows where I'm at when I go to fly. She knows I'm not out doing things I used to do! I'm not even sure my wife and I have ever had a fight. LOL

dirtybird 02-05-2012 02:08 PM

I fought this battle for 43 years and finally decided it was not worth it.
I got rid of my wife.

koastrc 02-05-2012 02:58 PM

When I met my bride I was building and flying model airplanes. When we started dating I was still building and flying. Many of the dudes I was flying with in those days are still building and flying. Yes, we are still married to the same girls. 47 years for me. Now you can bet your hat ***** and overcoat some folks are saying. Another old timer story. Perhaps it may be a old timer story. One thing that is not going to change is how my bride and I feel about each other. When we met she soon became one of my best friends. That is a how I discovered that all that love stuff is just what it is stuff. There is one truth in our marriage. I love my wife, but she was my friend first. Now my best friend.
My best friend will try to help me with my hobby as I do with her hobbies. People without friends are going to have a hard time getting by. Maybe living with someone that is not your friend is a problem.
The one thing enjoyable about RCU is the study of people and how they approach things. Everything from the center of gravity to marriage. Got to love it

flyallday 02-05-2012 03:07 PM

I broke my wife in early. 2nd date I asked if she wanted to go flying - I didn't tell her it was a model sailplanehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif We ended up having one day a week at my spot with flying and a picnic and .....(very private spot) That was 24 years ago. She actually encourages me to fly as she thinks it keeps me out of any real trouble. She has her art studio and I have my flying, fishing, cars.

Harry

DavidAgar 02-05-2012 03:12 PM

I got it made. My wife chase's me out the door and tells me to go flying.......Hmmmm, wait, that might not be a good thing. Dave

essyou35 02-05-2012 03:13 PM

Yes woman get mad anytime you do something they dont do. Fortunately my wife flies now too but its a PITA to teach her to fly.

This is normal. Tell her you're not out chasing woman or drinking. It doesnt work but its the truth.

Just fly. She'll get mad. Life goes on. If she thinks she can find another man, fine. He'll do the same thing except fishing or golfing.

</p>

essyou35 02-05-2012 03:19 PM

Ipartially agree with this except that I've known people who give into thier wife, therefore "losing themself", only to end up in a divorce anyways. You are who you are and I think you can fly and not have to put your marriage at risk. Its mutual respect. Giving up something and doing nothing is one way control. Control always fails no matter what it is, you cant control another person.

Thats why I get so mad at all these "Arf guys suck" threads because arfs allow me to fly and spend more time with my family. Its a win win situation.

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

If you are choosing your hobby over your wife, you'll end up married to the hobby and not the wife. She will end up getting alimony and child suport and you won't have a hobby due to financial distress anyway.
No hobby is worth the conflict with one's spouse. You vowed to "have and to hold", to honor and (in the old days) obey.
Which one of the twowill be beside you in that rocking chair on the front porch in 40 years holding your hand and honoring you?
No choice. Those that take their own selfish hobby over a relationship are destined to live alone. Get a divorce. Give her the respect she deserves and move on. She'll find someone better, EASILY!