RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   HOBBY king going down the tube? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11077296-hobby-king-going-down-tube.html)

RC_MAN 05-13-2012 10:50 AM

RE: HOBBY king going down the tube?

Vasek where in Czech Republic do you fly?

Tony Iannucelli 05-13-2012 01:46 PM

74 orders from Hobby King, most from Hong Kong, no problems, no mistakes, no issues, ever. Great value for my hobby dollar. I have had a couple of bad solder joints on connectors, but that's about it. I probably helped that along by tugging on the wires. Hey, if it was my fault, and when something bad happens it usually is, I step up to the plate. I'm amazed at how my packages arrive from the other side of the world, with no damage ... more than 60 times.

I order from Tower, Horizon, Hobby People, and several others also. Service from all the US companies has been necessary, but they have been very helpful, every time. Maybe I'm just lucky. But with 40 years in the hobby, probably not just luck. Must be clean living. (Yeah, right). I always remind myself it's a hobby, not life or death, or anything to get my blood pressure up.

ninefingers 05-13-2012 06:29 PM

I think HK did what they should have here. Its amazing to me that a piece of foam was shipped halfway around the world with the result being two little stress fractures on the tips. They gave you a 10$ credit - bravo! You did good! Are they going down the tubes? My experence recently with HK was just that the pick and pack was slower than what it has been. They explain this as volumes going up not enough personel. Dosnt sound like they are in distress to me! One last thing - thank goodness there not going out of business any time soon. I've noticed a slight decline (at least no sharp increases) in prices from the big two (Tower and Horizon) in the last few years. IF overseas direct buying were to become a thing of the past hold on to your wallets folks. Do you think the folks at Hanger - 9 and Great t Planes are going to show you any mercy? Contemplate that! So get your foamy glue out and stop belly achen!

DL8698 05-13-2012 06:38 PM

Let's summarise this thread, as far as HK is concerned:
</p>

1. People who have bought from HK before and have no issues whatsoever, or don't let a small slip up give them high BP, cos they are just so happy to be able to buy things at much cheaper prices than at LHS. (I'm one of them)
</p>

2. People who have bought, with no issues, but now have some issue, and get all upset.
</p>

3. People who are filthy rich orthinks it's real smart to pay much more in order to ensure that the occassional cock up will be promptly attended to by the vendor in the way they think is the right way.
</p>

4. Finally, people just starting out in this hobby, and are not so filthy rich that they can affordto buyeverything at top prices, for top services and top refund or replacement policy, and who may or may not have heardof HK before.
</p>

Which group do you fall into?
</p>

For those who think that group 1 people are stupid or brainless sheep, and think we have nothing better to do than defend a sham and scam company, think again. We are not stupid to want to pay so much less, and be willing to take a chance on the occassional cock up. And i don't think people willing to pay upfront for replacement cost are stupid either.
</p>

We all have our priorities in life. I can't afford to pay replacement cost upfront. I would rather take a chance, pay for only one item, and accept the occassional snafu.
</p>

Finally, why do i speak up for Hk? I want all the group 4 people to know that they do have an alternative to LHS if they are on a tight budget. And be aware that cock ups do happen once in while.
</p>

Forme, after about 7 orders, i have no complaints and will be ordering again from HK. My next order will probably be the RCG 15 cc. Cost S$200. Can any of you find a cheaper similar engine anywhere at any LHS?
</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

cannonball200 05-13-2012 06:50 PM

Vasek,

If you used your credit card, dispute it as damaged and get your money back and email the *******s and tell them to send you a post paid return box/label.

Give them their $10. in credit back and take your full amount.

Thanks,

K-Bob 05-13-2012 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: DL8698

Let's summarise this thread, as far as HK is concerned:
</p>

1. People who have bought from HK before and have no issues whatsoever, or don't let a small slip up give them high BP, cos they are just so happy to be able to buy things at much cheaper prices than at LHS. (I'm one of them)
</p>

2. People who have bought, with no issues, but now have some issue, and get all upset.
</p>

3. People who are filthy rich orthinks it's real smart to pay much more in order to ensure that the occassional cock up will be promptly attended to by the vendor in the way they think is the right way.
</p>

4. Finally, people just starting out in this hobby, and are not so filthy rich that they can affordto buyeverything at top prices, for top services and top refund or replacement policy, and who may or may not have heardof HK before.
</p>

Which group do you fall into?
</p>

For those who think that group 1 people are stupid or brainless sheep, and think we have nothing better to do than defend a sham and scam company, think again. We are not stupid to want to pay so much less, and be willing to take a chance on the occassional cock up. And i don't think people willing to pay upfront for replacement cost are stupid either.
</p>

We all have our priorities in life. I can't afford to pay replacement cost upfront. I would rather take a chance, pay for only one item, and accept the occassional snafu.
</p>

Finally, why do i speak up for Hk? I want all the group 4 people to know that they do have an alternative to LHS if they are on a tight budget. And be aware that cock ups do happen once in while.
</p>

Forme, after about 7 orders, i have no complaints and will be ordering again from HK. My next order will probably be the RCG 15 cc. Cost S$200. Can any of you find a cheaper similar engine anywhere at any LHS?
</p>

You forgot the 5th and most important group.

We are the guys that were brought up to believe that your word and your reputation are worth more than profit to be gained by compromising the same.

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

vasek 05-13-2012 07:40 PM

Canonball, I wish I had your will and energy. I agree with your thought, however I will fix the plane and take my loses.

DL8698 you forgot this one:
People believe that no matter the price you pay, one should get what is advertised period. We have laws for that. I like dollar stores, because I get stuff for $1 that i would otherwise pay like $10 and not because it's damaged. I am not cheap, but I don't take pride in paying more than necessary just to make me feel rich. I know people that would pay more, just to show they have the money. THAT seems ridiculous to me. BTW I'm not rich, just sayin' ;)

Cheers, V.

jayjay283 05-13-2012 07:42 PM

This is a fact, if you accepted the $10 "refund" aka pay off you are done. Nothing you can ever do about it. Like writing final on a check

DL8698 05-13-2012 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

You forgot the 5th and most important group.

We are the guys that were brought up to believe that your word and your reputation are worth more than profit to be gained by compromising the same.
</p>

I don't deny the existance of the 5th group, and from your definition, i dare to say i am also in such a group.
</p>

But then, did HK actually give you their "word" that if your goods are received damaged by you, no matter how big or small the damage is, that they will send you a replacement?
It is a different story if the product is totally not merchantable (not sure of spelling for that word) eg, it came with no wing, then HK should make good the discrepancy.</p>

And, reputation? Don't we all know HK's reputation? It says something like this (if i may put it inmy own words):we give you thebestpricepossible, we do notgurantee ( can any other vendor?)that goods will always 100% arrive in pristine showroom condition. Disputes will not necessary be resolved in the way that the customer wants it to be (like wanting anew wing for some scuff marks at the tips!).
</p>

So, may i ask, what "word" did they give you? What reputation did they fail to adhere to? If anything, i would say, HK is behaving true to form.
</p>

It's very simple, as far as HK is concerned,"buy on my terms, or go somewhere else". Incidentally, isn't it that way with all companies?
</p>

</p>

spog1 05-13-2012 10:17 PM

You forgot the 5th and most important group. We are the guys that were brought up to believe that your word and your reputation are worth more than profit to be gained by compromising the same.
The most important? LOL You mean the minority who refuse to acknowledge reality and want reality to be modified to their own terms. Good luck with that.

Cronniss 05-13-2012 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: spog1

You forgot the 5th and most important group. We are the guys that were brought up to believe that your word and your reputation are worth more than profit to be gained by compromising the same.
The most important? LOL You mean the minority who refuse to acknowledge reality and want reality to be modified to their own terms. Good luck with that.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Honestly, tho...I'm part of the "new to R/Cs &amp; don't know better" group.

I don't even know who LHS is. (Lindon High School?)

hehe
<br type="_moz" />

flyoz 05-13-2012 11:45 PM

LHS= Local Hillbilly Shindig
Lots of Honest Stuff
Little Help Stupid

Oh no what have I done? this thread is way too long as it is [:o]

[X(]:D

snir2001 05-14-2012 01:42 AM

Hi Vasek,</p>

What about loose items (Wing...) in the box ?</p>

The damage look like the wing was loose in the box, and it happened because of the shipping.</p>

I try to think how can it happened, I don't think that HK can check every box coming from the manufacturer due to great volume coming out from the warehouse...</p>

Also, it looks like a minor cosmetic damage, I would take the 10$...</p>

</p>

larrysogla 05-14-2012 02:42 AM

The big name retailers here in the U.S. charge 2-3 times more than what HobbyKing charge for the same equivalent item.............that is why the big name retailers quickly provide the replacement/refund because they already charged you for the replacement/refund BEFORE YOU EVEN COMPLAINED ABOUT ANY DAMAGED/MISSING PARTS!! The big name retailers are already ahead of you by charging you 2-3 times more than what HobbyKing charge so it is no problem for the big name retailers to provide replacement/refund for damaged/missing parts. That dear folks is the simple economics behind these QUICK REPLACEMENT/REFUND by big name retailers........they already charged you for that replacement/refund before you even complained. Dear folks we are paying in advance 2-3 times for that replacement/refund at the big name U.S. retailers before we even make a complaint. 'Nuff said. Larry.

snir2001 05-14-2012 04:10 AM

ORIGINAL: larrysogla

The big name retailers here in the U.S. charge 2-3 times more than what HobbyKing charge for the same equivalent item.............that is why the big name retailers quickly provide the replacement/refund because they already charged you for the replacement/refund BEFORE YOU EVEN COMPLAINED ABOUT ANY DAMAGED/MISSING PARTS!! The big name retailers are already ahead of you by charging you 2-3 times more than what HobbyKing charge so it is no problem for the big name retailers to provide replacement/refund for damaged/missing parts. That dear folks is the simple economics behind these QUICK REPLACEMENT/REFUND by big name retailers........they already charged you for that replacement/refund before you even complained. Dear folks we are paying in advance 2-3 times for that replacement/refund at the big name U.S. retailers before we even make a complaint. 'Nuff said. Larry.
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">I just couldn't rephrase it better...</span><o:p></o:p></p><br type="_moz" />

topspin 05-14-2012 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: RCMagician

ORIGINAL: larrysogla

<p class=''MsoNormal''><span style=''font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ''>I just couldn't rephrase it better...</span><o:p></o:p></p><br type=''_moz'' />

Probably not but then everyone knows you work for Hobby King.

Like I said before, low prices aren't so great when you have to ship a broken airplane back to Hobby King, youpay for shipping both ways. By the time you get done the one at your LHS would have been cheaper. Low prices my butt.

I don't know if they are going out of business but Mikey sure as heck won't be buying anything form them again. I tried to warn him but he didn't listen, he was mesmerized by that low price. So much for a low price.

Desertlakesflying 05-14-2012 07:56 AM

Too funny. Hobby King is owned by China, it is not a private company at all.

Let's hope some things change, or going to the doctor here will be the same as dealing with Hobby King in 2 or 3 years.

Just more proof it hasn't worked anywhere it's been tried.

Tony Iannucelli 05-14-2012 08:53 AM

I thought Hobby King was owned by an Aussie, with branches in Hong Kong, Australia, Germany, and the U.S. The manufacturers are from China. By the way, Tower, Hobby People, Horizon, etc., also buy from China. I don't know of anything made in America in the hobby, in any quantity, do you? PowerMaster fuel comes to mind and some other fuel mixers. Too expensive to ship I would think. The radios: Futaba, Japan and the far east, JR, the same, Airtronics, the same, Hitec, Korea. Even Kraft radios were from Mexico and elsewhere when they closed. The radios from China are coming soon one would think. If the Chinese can assemble most computers, IPads, Phones, etc, they can surely do our radios. It's a world economy guys, no more so than this hobby we all love. And make no mistake, regardless of what you may hear, the $5.99 orange receivers have a darn strong link...

snir2001 05-14-2012 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Tony Iannucelli

And make no mistake, regardless of what you may hear, the $5.99 orange receivers have a darn strong link...
Yep, they working fine for me !!! (FASST).
Any way, look like the chinese are here to stay...

topspin 05-14-2012 09:28 AM

I thought Hobby King was owned by an Aussie, with branches in Hong Kong, Australia, Germany, and the U.S. The manufacturers are from China. By the way, Tower, Hobby People, Horizon, etc., also buy from China. I don't know of anything made in America in the hobby, in any quantity, do you? PowerMaster fuel comes to mind and some other fuel mixers. Too expensive to ship I would think. The radios: Futaba, Japan and the far east, JR, the same, Airtronics, the same, Hitec, Korea. Even Kraft radios were from Mexico and elsewhere when they closed. The radios from China are coming soon one would think. If the Chinese can assemble most computers, IPads, Phones, etc, they can surely do our radios. It's a world economy guys, no more so than this hobby we all love. And make no mistake, regardless of what you may hear, the $5.99 orange receivers have a darn strong link...

There is a huge list of RC products made here in the US in the vendor forum on the other site. The idea that everything is made in China is outdated. By the way, besides being a ripoff of intelectual property and copyrighted proprietary software, the orange recievers are exceptionally unreliable. Once again low price equals marginal performance.

Notice RCMagician didn't answer cause he really does work for Hobby King so what do you think he's going to say?

warningshot 05-14-2012 09:37 AM

Even part of all NITRO fuel is made in China.

jayjay283 05-14-2012 09:47 AM

china is the superpower now, deal with it or stop working for 7-11 and open up a manufacturing/engineering company and produce something. America owes China around 4 trillion dollars, they dont call the debt in because the dollar would be worth nothing and we would be too broke to buy this cheap crap from them. Over 1700 Americans have been arrested in China over the last few months for doing business there, Charges ranging from bribery to corporate espionage. Good luck reading about it. Obama has it all hidden. 7 From Dunn and Bradstreet just last week. SO enjoy the cheap crap but know its really screwing our world up. <breath>

Sessholvlaru 05-14-2012 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a bunch of HK orders go perfectly, and a few that did not. My latest HK order was one of those PNP 64mm edf He-162's. Got it quick and it looked great. As I was gluing the tail together I realized that they gave me two left-hand vertical stabs. I contacted the online support (no one ever answers the US phone number they list, last time I tried it I was disconnected) and told them my issue. I knew the chances were slim that they would help, but I pursued it anyway. I opened a case through HK.

Long story short is I modded the one left stab to be a right-hand stab. HK kept asking bizarre questions and requesting more pictures (I sent them the one below), including pictures of the packing for some ridiculous reason. Of course the packaging was in the garbage at this point. It seemed pretty simple, send me a new stab. With HK, nothing is simple.

I am a realist with HK. If your order goes right, sweet. If it goes wrong, you're out the money. Just the nature of the HK beast.

Sessholvlaru 05-14-2012 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: jayjay283
Obama has it all hidden.
Obama, overlordz of teh interwebz!

jayjay283 05-14-2012 12:14 PM

its all fun and games till the socialists get ya !