RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   JCP commercial should be pulled (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11144781-jcp-commercial-should-pulled.html)

pmerritt 07-06-2012 02:22 PM

RE: JCP commercial should be pulled

Maybe someone should put that boy from the "Show Me" State on on the heli field and have some experience pilot chase him around with a 90 sized heli.  I wonder if he'd change his attitude then?  The whole concept of the JCP ad showing a man being chased by ANY sized flying toy is absurd.  JCP just lost 25% sales due to thier latest Ad campaign for obvious reasons.  This latest ad must have been created by the same morons that wrote their last ads.  It very well could say to a boy of that age that it's fun to chase Dad with a heli, or maybe even little sister because she can't run as fast?  BAD MOVE JCP!  Change ad agencies people!

djnsayne 07-06-2012 02:35 PM

boy?....... funny..... i know you wouldnt talk like that to my face, and if you did, you wouldnt be standing much longer..... the fact of the matter is that those helis pose no real injury threat and if you are dumb enough to chase and hit someone with any flying object you deserve the lawsuit you'll have coming. Btw.... I fly a 50 sized nitro copter and have a lot of respect for them but I'm not gonna run from a micro IR heli.

Max_Power 07-06-2012 02:47 PM

It don't take much to put out a eye. Some would argue that is worse than losing a leg. This is kinda irrelevant of the commercial just trying to make you think about what a impact on your life even a splinter can have?

ORIGINAL: djnsayne

boy?....... funny..... i know you wouldnt talk like that to my face, and if you did, you wouldnt be standing much longer..... the fact of the matter is that those helis pose no real injury threat and if you are dumb enough to chase and hit someone with any flying object you deserve the lawsuit you'll have coming. Btw.... I fly a 50 sized nitro copter and have a lot of respect for them but I'm not gonna run from a micro IR heli.

Gixxy 07-06-2012 03:38 PM

Dumbest thread ever :/ .......

Microz 07-06-2012 03:40 PM

I LOVE COMPUTER GENERATED RC HELIS!!!!

<span style="font-size: smaller; ">just like they used in the commercial....</span><br type="_moz" />

acdii 07-06-2012 04:48 PM

Every one who thinks this commercial is OK is an idiot and should leave this hobby.  Or better yet line up so we can fly a heli into your head. Dumbest thread. Geez.  You do realize that even those little micro helis can cleave a nasty cut. 

Go read the AMA handbook since it's obvious some people here have not, pay particular attention to section B line 1!

At least some people here understand just how bad a commercial like this is. Oh how cute he's chasing daddy with flying knives!   CG or not, its not something that kids should see.  My kids watch me fly my planes and helis, and I dont chase anything but air with them, and I sure as hell dont want to hear them say hey daddy go chase mommy with that.  I made damn sure when they saw that commercial that they fully understood you do not do something like that, ever.

Those who condone this, go back to your little world and leave this for those who do care about our hobby and see that this is a bad commercial to be shown on TV.

bruceal 07-06-2012 05:11 PM

I think that anything that minimalizes something that can cause an injury is treading dangerous ground. Like they say, "it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt." It's too easy for someone to go to a hobby shop and buy an electric plane or heli and with no proper instuction go out and try to fly by themselves. A lot of times it's done at a park or someplace else that's inappropiate. We have a hard enough time trying to get and keep flying sites without people doing foolish things like that.

Microz 07-06-2012 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: acdii

Every one who thinks this commercial is OK is an idiot and should leave this hobby. Or better yet line up so we can fly a heli into your head. Dumbest thread. Geez. You do realize that even those little micro helis can cleave a nasty cut.

Go read the AMA handbook since it's obvious some people here have not, pay particular attention to section B line 1!

At least some people here understand just how bad a commercial like this is. Oh how cute he's chasing daddy with flying knives! CG or not, its not something that kids should see. My kids watch me fly my planes and helis, and I dont chase anything but air with them, and I sure as hell dont want to hear them say hey daddy go chase mommy with that. I made damn sure when they saw that commercial that they fully understood you do not do something like that, ever.

Those who condone this, go back to your little world and leave this for those who do care about our hobby and see that this is a bad commercial to be shown on TV.

Oh good gosh, im going to get cut by computer graphics. RUN THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END!!!!! Obviously, even the dumbest person will notice its computer generated. I see no issues in that. Lets see here...when they jump a car into a river in a commercial and the guys come out safe, do you go ahead and try that because you think its "safe" as well? I don't see anyone jumping their car into the river. Besides, do you REALLY think someone who is from the general public and not into the hobby is going to buy a big, $500 heli? or even a small $90 micro? No...they are going to buy the cheap $20 toysrus ones.
<br type="_moz" />

westernstar 07-06-2012 07:57 PM

trust me,the rocket straps diddnt work,,,,,,,,[:o]

InboundLZ 07-06-2012 08:00 PM

The sky is falling...THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Geeze, just one more example of the wussification of the USA!

sweatybetty 07-06-2012 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

I just saw a JCP commercial where two kids are chasing a guy with an RC helicopter. Idont know about you guys, but Ifind it detrimental to our hobby, and dangerous. Not sure where to find the right contact to have this ad pulled as it is innapropriate.

Your right, they should be chasing the cat.....
why waste time on a cat with a a helicopter? God invented the .22 mag for a reason!

to the op, get real

Gixxy 07-06-2012 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

What he said

Gixxy 07-06-2012 09:15 PM

Every one who thinks this commercial is OK is an idiot and should leave this hobby. Or better yet line up so we can fly a heli into your head. Dumbest thread. Geez. You do realize that even those little micro helis can cleave a nasty cut.

At least some people here understand just how bad a commercial like this is. Oh how cute he's chasing daddy with flying knives! CG or not, its not something that kids should see. My kids watch me fly my planes and helis, and I dont chase anything but air with them, and I sure as hell dont want to hear them say hey daddy go chase mommy with that. I made damn sure when they saw that commercial that they fully understood you do not do something like that, ever.

You go read it. I'm to busy chasing people with computer generated helicopters. I just destroyed a city and kill a few hundred innocent people to. Ban all playstations and xbox's !!!!

vasek 07-06-2012 10:28 PM

The heli chasing wasn't as bad as the guy jumping from the rope off of a the tree in the river ! Haven't you heard about spinal cord injury from hitting the bottom of the lake/steam with you head ? [X(] SHAME on these guys!:eek: :D

bogbeagle 07-06-2012 10:57 PM

You chaps should see what happens when you use this brand of under-arm spray. There should be a law against it. Or, something.

Oh no, wait. One of the distinguishing features of humans is that they can separate fantasy from reality. (Unless they are crazy ... in which case, it doesn't matter what you show them, 'cos they're crazy.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutp93DDIyw[/youtube]

jakestew 07-06-2012 11:40 PM

Wow!  I can't believe how many people here seem to have no problem that a major corporation is portraying people with this hobby as reckless, dangerous, and just plain stupid.<div>
</div><div>If they had made a commercial inferring that black people like watermelon and fried chicken there would be massive boycotts and all sorts of hell to pay.  Yet they make us look reckless and stupid and most people here don't seem to care one bit.</div>

vasek 07-07-2012 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: jakestew

Yet they make us look reckless and stupid and most people here don't seem to care one bit.</div>
Lot of people ARE reckless and stupid, haven't you ever watched The Ricki Lake Show or similar? watcha gonna do about it? LOL:eek:

japan3d 07-07-2012 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Exactly!!!

scale only 4 me 07-07-2012 06:44 AM

Every one who thinks this commercial is OK is an idiot and should leave this hobby.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on TV.

You know, I think the ad is pretty dopey, I truly don't think that little completely computer generated scene will have any ill affect on our hobby..

Frankly, IMHO, calling people Idiots that disagree with you is showing piss poor debating skills my friend. I'm not going anywhere.

djnsayne 07-07-2012 06:58 AM

I love fried chicken and watermelon....... never had em at the same time though...... and really..... who doesnt like fried chicken and watermelon?

collector1231 07-07-2012 07:03 AM

For Heavens Sake, the HELICOPTER IS COMPUTER GENERATED!! When people will see that, they'll completely ignore it. ITS A COMMERCIAL!!!

Max_Power 07-07-2012 07:10 AM

It seems a lot of people want to jump on the "wussification" of the USA concept. I think to me you are kinda on two sides of the fence.

You wan't there to be less people saying something should or shouldnt be displayed to the public, and that people can make up thier own minds and don't need to be "Guided" The problem is....There are just too many idiots in this world these days who say "theres NO WAY a knife THAT SMALL" could hurt me!, I'm not gonna worry about safety with it at all pffffttt" Instead of using the common sense everyone accepted before.

How many people shoot theirself with a knowingly loaded/chambered/cocked gun? Thats why you always treat them ALL like they are loaded. Think a gun cant shoot you without the hammer pulled back?? definitely happened more than once...Kids used to take guns to school for marksmanship class 40 years ago and there werent accidents because the kids were taught to treat every gun as loaded and absolutely adhere to established rules instead of saying "I know it all, And there is NO WAY a .22 Can even hurt you!!!" What do you think would happen if you asked the youth generation on here to take guns to school?

Trust me, I'm more p.o'ed about there having to be all sorts of regulation to keep me "SAFE" and companies out of litigation, But unfortunately it stems from Idiots who think they know it all and know what absolutely can and can't hurt them or others. They refuse to just use common sense and be safe and adhere to established safety concepts. Then are usually the ones with the charachter to sue someone after thier stupidity causes a accident. What possible difference does it make if its CGI? If I make a video of your Mom and a CGI billy goat on "a date" would it piss you off less than if it were real?

Crazy and possibly dangereous pranks have been on TV for as long as TV has been around. I don't think anyone is saying some sort of legal action to remove this commercial is necessary. What I DO think I and others are saying is it WILL cast a undesireable image on our hobby WHEN some idiot who thinks he knows exactly where the line is drawn as far as seriously hurting someone does it. If I still bought from JCP, I would stop.

Unfortunately the newer generation of people who say "America is wussified!!" are usually the same ones that can't wrap their head around the fact that the reason we had all those freedoms before is that there were times when a lot more people could use common sense and responsibility, rather than saying "I've run a micro into a dude on a video game millions of times and even stuck my tongue into the blades of a nitro .50 and there is no way it could ever hurt you! Instead of just respectfully following the rules of safety that have been handed down from much more experienced people. Like I said, all you gotta do is lose a eye for your life to get dramatically changed. The potential for me to look at pretty girls and fly RC for the next 50 years is enough for me to trust someone might know more than me and follow a few rules, much less the question of the guilt of harming someone else?

...The point is...If you don't see flying a heli of this size after a person as a problem it is just because you are irresponsible. Who is smart enought to interpret the commercial as a joke or something wise to actually do is getting to be tougher to judge everyday[&o] Just like all these youth who think they would be the most bad-ass Top-Gun fighter pilot ever yadda yadda, but then have a attitude like "It flew fine yesterday so I KNOW the ailerons work,...The fuel gauge says I got fuel and its that fuel guys job anyway...I'm takin off!!"

A very smart person used to tell me "There are NO accidents, Just lack of prevention" It seems silly at first, but its pretty much absolutely true. Anything that can occur as a accident could have been prevented with some measure. There is a curve where the prevention measure becomes overwhelming, but anything can be prevented by some means. Its up to people to define what prevention/safety measures are "Worth the time invested"...But simple ones that have very few negatives like "Make sure the throttle is at bottom before plugging in your battery" are no-brainers and minimum time investment/ no negative I can think of. I think "Don't show videos with chasing people with RC helis to people not informed or mature enough to realize it is absolutely unsafe" a pretty easy prevention step. And unfortunately as demonstrated by some of these replies, necessary. Hopefully some day the new generation will realize "If you don't do stupid stuff while Mom and Dad are out, They might stop hiring a babysitter and let you take care of yourself"

Taz_Hobbies 07-07-2012 07:35 AM

No, the first thing that popped into my mind was the damage that getting hit by an RC helicopter can do. Its bad enough how the government comes down on our hobby when some moron buzzes a landmark, imagine if someone let their kids play with one of these and chased someone and actually hit them and seriously injured them!<div></div><div>And chasing the cat is not funny, they will strike out at it and could break a paw, or worse mangle or lose it. I thought it would be fun with a little mcx to have the cat follow it, until the cat leaped at it.</div><div></div><div>The little helis may look like toys, but I hit myself with one and it hurt. I got a cut on my arm from the blade.</div>
Please sell off all of your R/C items and take up knitting....

Microz 07-07-2012 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: jakestew
<div></div><div>If they had made a commercialinferringthat black people likewatermelonand fried chicken there would be massive boycotts and all sorts of hell to pay. Yet they make us look reckless and stupid and most people here don't seem to care one bit.</div>
You mean like this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAw_8E_sJWk[/youtube]
<br type="_moz" />

scale only 4 me 07-07-2012 08:00 AM

Amen, Max, the Motorcycle industry had to fight for a year to get dirt bikes for kids legal to sell in the US again after big brother rushed through that anti lead in toys bill outlawing anything with lead sold to kids,, How many kids ever got sick eating a dirtbike?