RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Great Planes 5 & 30 minute epoxy crystalizes? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11152942-great-planes-5-30-minute-epoxy-crystalizes.html)

cphdrider 07-12-2012 12:38 PM

Great Planes 5 & 30 minute epoxy crystalizes?

Within the last year, I have had 3 boxes of Great Planes 5 &amp; 30 minute epoxy crystalize for a total of 6 boxes. The epoxy is stored on my work bench in my house and never exposed to extreme heat or cold. Anyone know why this is happening?</p>

acerc 07-12-2012 12:53 PM

RE: Great Planes 5 & 30 minute epoxy crystalizes?

I had some hobbypoxy do that before as well. Not quite sure as to why. Fortunately I only use, hobbypoxy is what I call hobby grade/ brand epoxies, for filler's. Not for anything structural or lasting. Go to System Three's T-88 epoxy and you won't ever have to worry about it. Plus it's ten time's better. And, while your at it,  try their GelMajik and you probably will not use regular epoxy again.

tailskid 07-12-2012 01:09 PM

I have put the epoxy in the microwave for a little bit - but BE WARNED - it will produce some unfriendly vapors to some people......if you don't want to do that put the tubes in some very hot water and see if the crystals will dissolve...2 boxes eh? BUMMER....maybe you could send it back?

Crash-RCU 07-12-2012 04:46 PM

I have never had Bob Smith Industries epoxy do that 5, 15, or 30min. The resin has thicked if left in the cold but never cyrstalize, then just warm a little and it thins out. I have heard of more problems with GP epoxy.

larry@coyotenet 07-12-2012 05:15 PM

Just put it in a bowl of hot water. It will return to normal. I have had this happen several times, never noticed any problem when using it later.
Larry

Charlie P. 07-12-2012 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: larry@coyotenet

Just put it in a bowl of hot water. It will return to normal. I have had this happen several times, never noticed any problem when using it later.
Larry
What Larry says.

Microwaving it can melt the plastic if there is a thin layer on the edge of the bottle. The hot water bath works great.

Honey does the same thng.

slopoke 07-13-2012 05:49 AM

You use honey to repair airplanes???

just poking you

slopoke

Mustangman40 07-13-2012 07:24 AM

Your not alone and it is B'S that GP won't stand behind it!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11150795/tm.htm

DavidAgar 07-13-2012 03:15 PM

I will give credit where credit is due. I had some of the same issue's with some that was not but a few months old. I fussed with Tower and they took it back. I am not sure why I decided to try the Tower stuff as I have never had any issue's with Bob Smith epoxy, some of it years old. I am sticking with Bob Smith. Good Luck, Dave

JPMacG 07-13-2012 03:58 PM

I suspect Tower / Hoobico / Bob Smith and others just repackage epoxy they buy in bulk from suppliers. It may even all be the same stuff.

Mustangman40 07-13-2012 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I suspect Tower / Hoobico / Bob Smith and others just repackage epoxy they buy in bulk from suppliers. It may even all be the same stuff.

I would say that is most likely true, but not with the Bob Smith.. I am done with GP, from here on out...

countilaw 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

I have heard and believe to be true, that Bob Smith repackages epoxy for Hobbico, Great Planes, Tower hobbies and other store brands. Permetex now owns Devcon. I have had epoxy get thick like it's partially set up, but after heated it thins out and works very well.

I have heated 30 min epoxy to make it thin and flow better, but it also causes it to cure much faster.

I have always preferred Devcon Epoxy due to its consistancy, but the cost continues to climb to where the advantages, if any, are miniscule to the cheaper house brand.

Frank

djstar39 07-14-2012 05:54 AM

I'm having the same problem. Thought I was going crazy as this has never happened to me before. I have 5 - 6 bottles of TF30 and it crystalized. Took it with me to a meet a couple weeks ago to show my buddy and left it in the SUV. When I went to show him, it was mostly back to liquid again (heat of being in the car).

I'm now concerned of it's structural integrity... should I toss it and get something else? Hate to have a structural failure in a plane because I used this stuff!

Dave

scale only 4 me 07-14-2012 10:36 AM

read this
http://www.ptm-w.com/index.asp?pgid=200

djstar39 07-14-2012 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

read this
http://www.ptm-w.com/index.asp?pgid=200
Thanks! That's what I was looking for! Just want to be sure it is safe to use.

Dave

Charlee Smith 07-16-2012 04:07 PM

Bob Smith Industries does not make epoxy for anyone else. The epoxies are private labeled for your LHS, but the BSI logo is always on the back. BSI epoxies have an offical guaranteed shelf life of five years, but I have used some that are over ten years old.

countilaw 07-16-2012 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlee Smith

Bob Smith Industries does not make epoxy for anyone else. The epoxies are private labeled for your LHS, but the BSI logo is always on the back. BSI epoxies have an offical guaranteed shelf life of five years, but I have used some that are over ten years old.
I am sorry Charlee, but could you qualify your statement. The first sentence states the BSI DOES NOT make epoxy for anyone else. But in the next sentence you say The epoxies are private lableled for your LHS, but the BSI logo is on the back.
BSI doesn't package epoxy for other companies, why is the BSI logo on the back?

I am missing something here or just don't understand what you are saying.

Frank

Charlee Smith 07-17-2012 02:54 PM

Frank,

If an epoxy is made by BSI, it will always have the BSI logo on the back. We don't make the epoxies for GP, Tower, etc. The raw materials we use are too expensive for us to sell to them at a price they are willing to pay.

Charlee Smith
Bob Smith Industries

tailskid 07-17-2012 03:02 PM

Thank you for that Charlee!

countilaw 07-18-2012 08:53 AM

Thanks Charlee, now I understand what you are saying. I had heard (as I said before) Bob Smith repackaged. Just goes to show you can't believe everything or even some of what you hear. I have used Bob Smith products as far back as the 70's I think, maybe the 80's I think. Ever how long it's been, I know Bob Smith has been around and serving the hobby industry for years. I have always found Bob Smith products to be superb products with no compromise in quality.

Frank

Charlee Smith 07-18-2012 11:28 AM

Thank you for the comments, Frank. Bob produced fiberglass aircraft kits in the 70s and early 80s and has produced adhesives since 1982. I started working with him full time on the glues in 1989.

Charlee

chuckk2 07-18-2012 02:32 PM

All epoxy has a shelf life. It can get a bit strange when it's old, just like us old codgers.

AmishWarlord 07-18-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

The hot water bath works great.

Honey does the same thng.
Thanks Charlie!

I have a big jar of Strawberry Honey that my wife bought last fall and noticed it was all crystalized.

My wife said, "It's bad throw it out"!

I heated it up in the microwave and now it's back to normal.

tailskid 07-18-2012 02:56 PM

I don't believe Honey can go bad.....nature at its best!

AmishWarlord 07-18-2012 03:08 PM

Honey is naturally bad.

It's highly alkaline bee spit that even bacteria can't live in.

Can't get any worse than that.

Well maybe chocolate covered, fried, salted pork fat back.