RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   C-17 lands at small GA airport in Tampa by mistake (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11166043-c-17-lands-small-ga-airport-tampa-mistake.html)

pa_28r_200 07-23-2012 11:34 AM

C-17 lands at small GA airport in Tampa by mistake

A little off topic...

The landing (3250 foot runway 22 at TPF, Macdill Is 11500)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6n29Ie2f7w

The departure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi58Ds3Krgw

DavidAgar 07-23-2012 11:59 AM

RE: C-17 lands at small GA airport in Tampa by mistake

That is an amazing airplane. Thanks for the footage, Dave

pa_28r_200 07-23-2012 12:21 PM

When they backed up, the tail was literally up over the end of the runway at the seawall of Seddon channel...that's water spraying when he spools up....word was there was a 4 star general on board when the pilot made his.....um..."diversion"

flyinwalenda 07-23-2012 03:11 PM

Nice water and sand blast job ! Wonder how much damage that did?
Also wonder if the pilot is still flying ?

pa_28r_200 07-23-2012 03:57 PM

No damage to speAk of, i was the guy in the blue shirt and black hat hat at the end of the takeoff run..we where just of the taxiway, and yes we got covered in dirt but it was still pretty damn cool....

I have feeling he'll be driving a desk soon.

robert waldo 07-23-2012 08:43 PM

Almost looks like it was done on a bet. Hope there not to hard on him. These airline pilots can't even keep it on a 7,000 foot runway.

eddieC 07-23-2012 09:40 PM

For all the training it costs us taxpayers, it was a real bonehead move. Pretty much a career-ender, I'll bet.

larrysogla 07-23-2012 10:20 PM

Probably just dropping off the 4 star general closer to his destination at the local area.............it is no big deal for a very lightly loaded(very little fuel left on board and no heavy cargo) C17 to make it on a 3,500 foot paved runway........it is designed to do that all day on a dirt runway. This are the best of the best present day military transport designed to deliver main battle tanks very close to the front battle line on dirt strips bulldozed out of scrub land. A 3,500 foot paved runway is a piece of cake...............a milk run, a pizza delivery with GPS to bring the pizza driver to the front door. 'Nuff said. Larry.

eddieC 07-23-2012 10:55 PM

it is no big deal  
It is when it's not the designated destination. Or you could talk to the Board of Inquiry on the crew's behalf....[8D]

larrysogla 07-24-2012 04:39 AM

It is the designated stop over if the pilot filed a flight plan and the 4 star general approved it. 'Nuff said. Larry.

topspin 07-24-2012 06:04 AM

Unless there was an emergency the pilot and crew got a royal ***** chewing by their commander. Aside from that, the C-17 is a beautiful plane. The C-17 is unconventional in that it has fighter type stick control and a heads up dispaly that rivals that of the F-15.

eddieC 07-24-2012 07:20 AM

It is the designated stop over if the pilot filed a flight <font color="#000000">plan</font>  
Again, that wasn't the case here.   :eek:

They may have damaged the runway also, haven't heard for sure.

ira d 07-24-2012 01:39 PM

Just seems strange somthing like this can happen in this day of technology when the GPS in your car will alert you if miss your turn by a few feet.

larrysogla 07-24-2012 10:57 PM

I doubt that C17 damaged the paved runway because the C17 is designed to spread the weight over many square foot of ground pressure.........hence the ability to land and offload main battle tanks that weigh 70 tons(140,000 lbs.) with full fuel and ammo and the tank is ready to fight as soon as it is driven off the C17 rear ramp...........this combat delivery of main battle tanks is done close to the front battle line in bulldozed scrub land without the wheels bogging down in the dirt. A regular airliner will get bogged down in dirt runways due to the high ground pressure as the airliners are designed for paved runways. With modern Navigation/Electronics I doubt that C17 landed on the wrong airport..........considering the General Aviation runway was only 3,250 ft. long and the military field at McDill is 11,500 feet.............big difference.............I still am hazarding a guess that the 4 star general wanted dropped off in the local area...............rank has it's privileges. 'Nuff said. Larry.

eddieC 07-25-2012 05:08 AM

I doubt that C17 landed on the wrong airport  
 Doubt all you want, the crew messed up, that's why this made national headlines. There was no '4-star-general' on board, no 'RHIP', they are assessing the runway condition (C-130's &amp; 727's can also land on gravel/non-paved runways but can still damage surfacess that aren't built for them), plz spend a little time investigating. The C-17 is no lightweight.  Having trained hundreds of pilots in 30+ years, I can tell you people mess up.

'Nuff said?    :)

SrTelemaster150 07-25-2012 06:30 AM

I wonder why the landing video was "removed"?

eddieC 07-25-2012 07:11 AM

Found one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6n29Ie2f7w

pa_28r_200 07-25-2012 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: larrysogla

I doubt that C17 damaged the paved runway because the C17 is designed to spread the weight over many square foot of ground pressure.........hence the ability to land and offload main battle tanks that weigh 70 tons(140,000 lbs.) with full fuel and ammo and the tank is ready to fight as soon as it is driven off the C17 rear ramp...........this combat delivery of main battle tanks is done close to the front battle line in bulldozed scrub land without the wheels bogging down in the dirt. A regular airliner will get bogged down in dirt runways due to the high ground pressure as the airliners are designed for paved runways. With modern Navigation/Electronics I doubt that C17 landed on the wrong airport..........considering the General Aviation runway was only 3,250 ft. long and the military field at McDill is 11,500 feet.............big difference.............I still am hazarding a guess that the 4 star general wanted dropped off in the local area...............rank has it's privileges. 'Nuff said. Larry.

Nah, i doubt that the general would want to be dropped of there...it's only a twelve minute ride by car from Macdill to Davis Island the political ramifications ( notice all the flashing lights and cameras ?) would have gotten his arse chewed by that guy in the white house, what's his name again?? I forget....

I think Tampa approach handed him off to Macdill, Macdill tower said "report field in sight", he did...the cleared him for a visual on 22 and he did.....the wrong 22....They where on a 17 hour flight from Asia somewhere and i think it was just an honest mistake. Also, the fact that the AMW dispatched a critical intervention team would indicate that as well....

There was no damage to the runway....

topspin 07-25-2012 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: pa_28r_200

ORIGINAL: larrysogla

Nah, i doubt that the general would want to be dropped of there...it's only a twelve minute ride by car from Macdill to Davis Island the political ramifications ( notice all the flashing lights and cameras ?) would have gotten his arse chewed by that guy in the white house, what's his name again?? I forget....

I think Tampa approach handed him off to Macdill, Macdill tower said ''report field in sight'', he did...the cleared him for a visual on 22 and he did.....the wrong 22....They where on a 17 hour flight from Asia somewhere and i think it was just an honest mistake. Also, the fact that the AMW dispatched a critical intervention team would indicate that as well....

There was no damage to the runway....

That is a very reasoned explanation and probably close to exactly what happened. I have seen guys land at the wrong field before having made similar mistakes. Still, I bet the wing commander had something to say about it since they have to do a survey of what happened and why. The Air Force is very serious about mistakes, even seemingly innocuous ones like this.

sweatybetty 07-25-2012 08:15 PM

actually, if the pilot can do what he did, then the $$ was worth it. my 2 cents http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

ORIGINAL: eddieC

For all the training it costs us taxpayers, it was a real bonehead move. Pretty much a career-ender, I'll bet.

ira d 07-25-2012 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: sweatybetty

actually, if the pilot can do what he did, then the $$ was worth it. my 2 cents http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I have seen the C-17 perform at air shows when empty it can land and take off on very short runways.

eddieC 07-25-2012 09:43 PM

I have seen the C-17 perform at air shows when empty it can land and take off on very short runways.  
Umm,,,. ok, physics. What good is an empty cargo plane?  [:o] 

I'd be more impressed if they flew in such a way as to not make the evening news. 

I operate turbine equipment, and try not to abuse it by making 'maximum effort' operations. Uses up brakes, thrust reversers (or props), tires, engines, adds stress to structures, and adds unnecessary costs to the operation. 

To imply this was somehow a demonstration of good airmanship iis counterintuitive. They were very tired perhaps, but certainly very lucky.

SrTelemaster150 07-26-2012 07:06 AM

I'll bet his bung hole pucked up & bit a hole in his shorts when he saw the end of that runway coming up in his windscreen. [:-]

flyinwalenda 07-26-2012 09:30 AM

What news article stated a General was on board?

pa_28r_200 07-26-2012 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

What news article stated a General was on board?
The line guys at TPF observed him exiting the aircraft.