RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Mode 1 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11199246-mode-1-a.html)

bob mann 08-19-2012 07:06 PM

Mode 1

Is there any old mode ( 1) flyers out there any more. For those that dont know. Throttle,Ailerons right stick and Rudder,Elevator left stick..

EloyM 08-19-2012 09:57 PM

RE: Mode 1

Of course there are Mode One flyers still around - some quite famous ones like myself and Quique Somenzini!!!

We've all heard it: Mode Two is the way you fly real airplanes, which is like comparing apples to cucumbers!

vasek 08-19-2012 10:04 PM

I wish I had learned mode 1 instead of mode 2 ! With Mode 1 you can hand-launch much easier...

dirtybird 08-20-2012 05:44 AM

All of the mode 1 fliers I have known have died.

bob mann 08-20-2012 09:29 AM

Mode 1 flyers were smooth flyers you know, you dont have to cross control . I havewatched many a mode 2 flyer they seemed to input one control and then the other. some times it harder to bring one stick into the corner fighting spring tensions.

vasek 08-20-2012 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

All of the mode 1 fliers I have known have died.
like that's of any help LOL

STUKA BARRY 08-20-2012 04:54 PM

There are two mode1 flyers in my club, one is an instructor, talk about ambidextrous.

Joe Nagy 08-20-2012 08:50 PM

My Bro Steve in Ontario, Canada, and myself are Mode 1ers. Got our 1st Radios in early '70, wanted Single Sticks, but, our Instructer/Radio Source was a former Reed Flyers, and insisted that we get Mode 1 sets, stating that when flying you needed to separate Aileron from Elevator control and have them on separate sticks, sooooo......40+ years later we are still on Mode 1, SS sets are very few now and mode 2 seems to prevail.

Joe Nagy.

buz2au 08-21-2012 01:14 AM

I think most guys in Australia fly mode 1, in my local club of about 230 members you could count the number of mode 2 fliers on one hand, and the rest of us aren’t dead yet....lol

carrellh 08-22-2012 06:28 AM

I know four, and all of them are very much alive.
The other 50 to 75 who have come through our club use mode 2, and I am all alone as a mode 3 user.
I will never believe any mode has an advantage over the others.
The one that works for me is "the best" for me.
The one that works for Bob is "the best" for Bob.

DGM 08-22-2012 01:27 PM

I have flown Mode I since 1967 when I bought a second hand Logic-Trol 5 channel proportional unit. The advantage to mode one is you do not have any aileron/ elevator mix caused by both controls being on the same stick. Really advantageous when flying inverted as you can put you thumb UNDER the elevator stick and can push it only the right way giving down elevator on the stick but "up" for an inverted plane. It is also realatively easy for a mode I flyer to fly mode II. Remove your left hand from the left hand stick and you have to control the elevator/ailerons with you right hand.

DGM 08-22-2012 01:33 PM

PS. as far as Mode II like flying a "real" plane , most light planes are flown with the left hand controlling the elevator and the ailerons. The right hand runs the throttle, mixture, trims, etc. (Unless you are flying a "stick" plane like a PT-17 or J-3 Cub, etc.

Sport_Pilot 09-04-2012 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: DGM

PS. as far as Mode II like flying a "real" plane , most light planes are flown with the left hand controlling the elevator and the ailerons. The right hand runs the throttle, mixture, trims, etc. (Unless you are flying a "stick" plane like a PT-17 or J-3 Cub, etc.

I have said as much before. As for a J3 Cub you hold the stick with your right hand and throttle with your left, but for side to side stick planes you use your left hand on the stick and right on the throttle. There is little confusion when flying and switching from type to typebecause of the huge resistance of the elevator compared to the aileron. Most making that claim have never flown a full sized aircraft.

dirtybird 09-04-2012 08:41 AM

Mode 2 works better if you use a tray. If you hold your tx in your hands your thumb does not travel perpendicular to the side of the TX. So if you pull left aileron you get some up elevator. If you pull rt aileron you get down elevator.
I bought a multiplex transmitter simply because it is the only transmitter you can rotate the stick axis so it matches the path your thumb makes.

carlgrover 09-06-2012 07:42 AM

We've got probably no more than 2 mode I guys in our club. They were flying that way 25 years ago when I joined.

copelab 09-06-2012 12:49 PM

When I bought my first radio back in 75 it was mode 2. Most of the people available to instruct at that time were mode 1. After many attempts of fly,crash,rebuild I finally switched to mode 1 so I could get some help. Over the years most of the mode 1 fliers disappeared but I stayed on mode 1. I really cannot comment on which mode is the best but the only problem I have is when it comes time to buy a new radio. I think all radios should be mode switchable by the owner.
Bob

Ralph White 09-06-2012 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My son and I both fly Mode 1. I started back in the late 60's with a Logitrol 5 channel. My son started about 4 years ago. He flys Mode 1 because I taught him. We can and do fly each others planes, but nobody else in our club can fly our planes as they are all Mode 2.

Ralph White

bob mann 09-07-2012 10:12 PM

I have never seen a bad mode 1 flyer,but have seen many mode 2, food for thought.

vasek 09-07-2012 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

My son and I both fly Mode 1. I started back in the late 60's with a Logitrol 5 channel. My son started about 4 years ago. He flys Mode 1 because I taught him. We can and do fly each others planes, but nobody else in our club can fly our planes as they are all Mode 2.

Ralph White

I have the same scenario but in reverse, nobody can can fly my planes as I am mode 2 in Europe. Everybody that I know flies mode 1 here.

JRO 09-08-2012 04:54 AM

I started flying in the early 80's and my instructor was a mode 1 flyer. We have only one other flyer in our club that is mode 1 that I know of. In my opinion both mode 1 and mode 2 have there advantages and disadvantages. I have tried both modes and mode 1 works best for me.

Bozarth 09-09-2012 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: vasek

I wish I had learned mode 1 instead of mode 2 ! With Mode 1 you can hand-launch much easier...
Unless you are left handed like me - Mode 2 is good for me!

georbeckha 09-10-2012 03:00 AM

Back in New Zealand when I learnt to fly the majority wher on Mode 1 (I'd have to say probably 95 - 98% flew Mode 1) I had to learn on Mode 1.
Now here in Michigan, I am the only mode 1 flyer that I know of. It is what I learned on and I have no desire o change and have to go back to a trainer to re-learn how to fly!

George

corch 09-10-2012 09:09 AM

Lots of Mode 1 in West Michigan. Couple guys have the technique for "re-engineering" mode 2 txs into mode 1 in about 10 minutes....including soldering work, at the field, :)

Helps to know who your fellow mode 1'ers are, especially when you get the bug in your eye.