RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   What size of RC planes do you like? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11201037-what-size-rc-planes-do-you-like.html)

flycatch 08-22-2012 07:36 AM

RE: What size of RC planes do you like?

Bottom line, do you want something that resembles it full scale counterpart and fly accordingly. Or do you want a gnat that flys like a fly.

Microz 08-22-2012 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Bottom line, do you want something that resembles it full scale counterpart and fly accordingly. Or do you want a gnat that flys like a fly.
Well thats why you need to know how to fly a micro...i can make mine fly very scale actually.
<br type="_moz" />

slee 08-22-2012 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great topic. I build and fly and prefer larger scale models. I am into WW1 scale building. I have 3 1/3 scale ww1 planes and several 1/4 scale models. But-I also have the e-flight DR1, Spad and a small foam Sopwith Pup. It's nice to have the option of flying both small electrics and large scale. Again, I prefer the larger scale models, but there certainly is a place for the small models as well.

Microz 08-22-2012 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: slee

Great topic. I build and fly and prefer larger scale models. I am into WW1 scale building. I have 3 1/3 scale ww1 planes and several 1/4 scale models. But-I also have the e-flight DR1, Spad and a small foam Sopwith Pup. It's nice to have the option of flying both small electrics and large scale. Again, I prefer the larger scale models, but there certainly is a place for the small models as well.

Wow those are some nice looking bipes you got there! Yeah I'm primairly into the micro stuff, but i guess having those two "larger" planes I have is a good thing since when i feel like flying something a little bigger, i can just take one of them out and fly them.
<br type="_moz" />

Luchnia 08-22-2012 08:39 AM

Nice hangar.

I fly from 40 glow to 50cc gas and out of all of the planes I have my favorite size are the 30cc gassers. They fit the bill perfectly for me. Easy to setup, economical, easy to see, good stability in wind, and not bad for hauling either. I get two of those in my van plus two glows if I want. The larger 50cc planes are a bit more time consuming and really don't offer up all that much additional for me.

For something just to grab and fly I think the 40 to 90 size glows are fun as well. For fun fly events I only fly the smaller glow planes as I don't have much investment there.

Microz 08-22-2012 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Nice hangar.

I fly from 40 glow to 50cc gas and out of all of the planes I have my favorite size are the 30cc gassers. They fit the bill perfectly for me. Easy to setup, economical, easy to see, good stability in wind, and not bad for hauling either. I get two of those in my van plus two glows if I want. The larger 50cc planes are a bit more time consuming and really don't offer up all that much additional for me.

For something just to grab and fly I think the 40 to 90 size glows are fun as well. For fun fly events I only fly the smaller glow planes as I don't have much investment there.
Thats amazing how you can fit 4 of those big planes (bigger than mine anyway) in there...how do you do that?!?!? Seems many of you on here can fit a good amount of big planes into your vehicle.

Heres a picture of my fleet by the way. :) :) :) :)

Flyzone Sensei

Ember 2 (I need to rebuild that)

Micro T-28 (being rebuilt today when the parts come in)

Hobbyzone Champ

Parkzone P47

<br type="_moz" />

rgburrill 08-22-2012 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Lamoilleriver

.46 size, easy enough to fit two planes in a car and store several around the house.
You got it. Easy to transport several, easy to put together at the field, don't take a lot of fuel, still handle the wind well, easy on the pocektbook, etc.

Next is 60 size only becuase my eyes are going and they are easier to see at a distance. I really have no desire to spend thousands of dollars on ONE giant scale plane. And the little ones (even those 30-46 inch buggers) get tossed aroudn way too much.

[email protected] 08-22-2012 08:59 AM

MY PICK UP BED IS 5 FT LONG>> I LAY THE BODIES IN FIRST THROW A BLANKET OVER THEM LAY THE WINGS ON TOP CLOSE THE TOP AND OFF TO THE FIELD>> MY FLIGHT BOX HELPS THE BLANKETS DOWN

zx32tt 08-22-2012 09:00 AM

I fly mostly 30% to 40% gassers. However, the plane I have had the longest, with the most flights is an OMP Edge 540 profile, with a Irvine .53 glo. The larger planes are more fun for me, especially if its windy at all.

raptureboy 08-22-2012 09:11 AM

WOW. Who said anything about bashing anyones planes. Sounds more like your doing the bashing. The op is just getting an idea of what others are flying and what their preference is. Me I fly all of them including heli's. My GS planes really take no more time to get ready to fly than my 40size.

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I fly 60 size planes. It takes about 3 minutes to attach a wing, and about 30 mins for everyone to walk around it saying wow, what a nice plane. Then I fly it for about 12-15 minutes, while the spectators say wow, look at that thing fly. Wow, look at that roll, that knife edge, the loop. Then I land and refuel while people stand around looking at the engine, asking questions and getting involved. Then I fly it again and again.

Never heard anyone say that about a micro airplane.

You see, it's easy to bash someone else's plane and why yours is better. But the true spirit of this hobby is doing what you like doing. Being your own person and doing what you enjoy. I have flown about every type of plane and love doing it. I love building and designing planes.

Expand your horizon's and embrace everyone's idea of what they expect from their hobby.

Let's go fly and have some fun.

Frank

hsukaria 08-22-2012 09:31 AM

The really small micros are great for flying indoors. But I don't have access to any indoor flying facilities.

Most of my planes are in the .40 c.i. size. I have 2 new ones in the .60-.90 size, have flown only one of them so far. Noticeably easier to see and fly in winds than the .40. I also have a couple of park flyers (electric) that I can only fly on calm days. And one giant gasser (38cc)that I fly on extra windy days, awesome flying machine.

I use an old minivan with the seats removed. I may build a rack from PVC pipes someday to stuff more planes in it.

As time progresses, I plan on reducing the number of planes I own and keep only the bigger ones and a couple of electric park flyers. It is really more fun to have a few planes that are in excellent shape than to have many in less-than good shape.

They each have pros and cons.

Microz 08-22-2012 10:13 AM

oneaew- Ah okay i see. I don't have a pick up, but i guess it would be much easier if i did.<div></div><div>zx32tt- I've seen some 30% and 40% gassers at the field with smoke systems installed, and man is it awesome!!!</div><div></div><div>raptureboy- I've never tried helis before...are they fun to fly?</div><div></div><div>hsukaria- Yes I don't have any indoor areas either, but I've been able to deal with winds at the most of 5mph with my micros. That gasser must have no problem getting through wind!!!! I agree with you about the amount of planes...although, its very easy to keep all my micros in good shape since its so cheap to replace parts, its no big deal. Thats why i only have two larger planes...it would be kind of expensive for me personally to have more than that.</div>

dreamwever 08-22-2012 11:38 AM

Hey guys and gals i fly a little of everything from micro cubs to 3o% 540s to a 144 in j-3  electric glow gas love them all dose not matter what just go have fun

DGM 08-22-2012 01:13 PM

Hi, I guess I have a little bit of everything. A 90 inch P-38 (electric), a 90 inch J-3 (Saito 120), an 80 inch electric B-17, Two P-51s (one 63 inch electric and one 80 inch- ST2500) and a 22inch F-35 ( rolls faster than you can count) In fact I have 9 or ten electrics and only 3 Glow powereed flying right now. I like the bigger ones (60 inch and up) best as the fly realistically and handle the wind well, easy to see too. Yes, I have a pick up with an 8 foot bed.

fly24-7 08-22-2012 01:35 PM

I generally fly 40-60 sized glow planes with my biggest being my 1/4 scale RV-4. Which, at 70" WS and an OS 75AX engine, isn't all that big. I've tried some larger gas stuff, but it's not for me.

thepamster 08-22-2012 01:49 PM

I like large gas planes, 1.20 and up.They are easier to see and fly better.
With the exception of biplanes with flying wires large planes do not take 30 minutes to assemble as Jolly Popper said. Two wing bolts and maybe two canopy screws. Maybe five minutes tops.
I currently am flying my 1.20 Stinger with a 80" wing and a Zenoah G38 gas engine and I transport it in my Toyota Celica. Yep, Celica. There is only enough room in there for me and the plane but thats ok.

llindsey1965 08-22-2012 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i fly 80cc and 150 cc gas , i have a large pick up with a 6 x 12 trailer get the picture now !!!!!! we can afford the hobby

KaP2011 08-22-2012 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: slee

I agree with slee, I like and prefer to fly larger planes but there are times when I just want to throw a small plane in the car and go fly. My smallest plane is a 43" Cessna 180 and my largest is a 1/4 scale Spacewalker, though I prefer the .60 size and my favorite when I get it finished will be my US 60.

Granpooba 08-22-2012 02:28 PM

.45 through 1.60, with throwing in an electric now and then. :D

fredmcl2 08-22-2012 02:56 PM

The ones I like are the giant Edges, Extras, and Yaks, 100cc-size and above.

The ones I actually fly are Edges (1), Extras (1), and Yaks (2) in the 50cc class, wing spans 82 to 89 inches. Just bought a H-9 33% Edge and a DA 100 to go in it, so I'm headed toward flying the bigger ones as my skills improve.

I am currently selling or giving away my smaller planes, as I don't fly them much any more. I have a pickup with a cap on the back to get my planes to the field.

I don't understand the comment about the 30-minute set up on big planes. On go the wings, fuel it, start it, and fly it. I usually fly 3 times each plane when I go to the field, the same as I did for my smaller nitros.

Microz 08-22-2012 03:19 PM

Man im probably the only micro flyer around here! :D Oh well. :D So since all of you fly larger planes, do you guys have to spend a good bit of money to keep them up and running?

Luchnia 08-22-2012 03:24 PM

I have actually gotten 5 planes in my Chevy Impala before, however I normally put four in there. You learn how to pack things ;)

I would put two in the trunk, one flat on the back seat, two leaning up against the back seat, and one leaning up against the passenger seat. I would then put two wings across the top of the seats, one wing in the middle where the console is and if I had two piece wings I would put them in the trunk with the two planes and field box.

Guys would be amazed that I could put that many planes in the car. The thing is you could only go so big on the planes. My biggest was a 60-90 AW Extra 260, Revolver 70 (could not take the AW Extra and Revolver together - only one long ways across back seat unless I only took four planes), H9 Pulse, H9 Twist, Alpha 40, Revolver 59, and so-on.

I had it down to a science in the Impala :D Normally though, I would take 3 to 4 planes each weekend when driving the car. I can get a 50cc gasser, two 30cc gassers, and a glow or two if need be in my van, but I normally only take three planes. Usually I take one glow, and two gassers these days.

Luchnia 08-22-2012 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Microz

Man im probably the only micro flyer around here! :D Oh well. :D So since all of you fly larger planes, do you guys have to spend a good bit of money to keep them up and running?
Money? Are you kidding? You need a bank to fly RC [X(]

All jokes aside, it isn't too bad once you get your entire fleet setup. The gassers are dirt cheap to operate - it is the up front cost that choke you. Later on after some years, re-covering, re-hinging, battery replacement, and so forth can take a bit of time and some costs. If you are frugal you can pinch dollars some by going to swap meets, finding used items on RCU, etc.

Microz 08-22-2012 03:51 PM

Whoa...5 planes in an Impala...NICE!!! :D Yeah I noticed that with gassers the upfront price is pretty high. Glow is more expensive in the long run im going to guess? I'm an electric only person, and electric isn't too bad...except for the fact that you need more than one battery...thats where it gets expensive.

OliverJacob 08-22-2012 04:45 PM

Well, there a place for every size. The smallest is a 1/2 a ME 109 and the biggest is a 1/3 scale Pitts.
So I pick the plane a feel like flying that day. If I feel like flying scale, I take a big plane and for some sport flying
a 40 or 60 size Extra or the Uproar.
Also I have 3 to 4 planes with me on a flying day - they fit nicely in a Trailblazer.
Biplanes sure take some time to put together, but my 1/4 scale Cap 232 take just a minute, just plug the servos in and attach the one piece wing with 2 screws.