RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   garage launch slowstick 12am (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11246666-garage-launch-slowstick-12am.html)

brandon429 10-14-2012 08:31 AM

RE: garage launch slowstick 12am

Matt at least you hit one of two points thanks.

What about google earth, and what i can see in your back yard with it

If flying to the side of people is safe to you then we are at an impasse. How many people did i fly over as you say?
I respect the lines you've drawn between to the side of and directly over, its a fair opinion.
Was a pz vapor ok in your opinion to fly over your house, without a camera?

mr_matt 10-14-2012 08:59 AM

Here is what you seem to be missing. It is the perception.

Guy flies FPV all around the statue of liberty in NYC. Common man thinks "if that is not illegal it ought to be."

Same thing here. Common sense. A lot of people are not going to like you flying over their house and when they legally put a stop to it, I probably won't be able to fly in my yard at all.

I personally don't care about Google earth one way or the other. Me, I like to fly toy airplanes so I will stick to that. But if I was seriously invested in fpv I would definitely take the public's concern about privacy seriously. It would be a huge nationwide battle to stop Google, but in any particular locale it might take one or two local beaurocrats 2 minutes to make model airplanes illegal to fly anywhere outside of your driveway.

If you are truly not a troll then think about the consequences of your actions. If you are a troll shame on me for wasting so much time fruitlessly typing.

brandon429 10-14-2012 09:17 AM

My view is flying to the side of people is dangerous and what I do isn't, we disagree, and that makes nobody a troll. But these are at least sensible disagreements compared to ridiculous ones that comprise the bulk of the thread.

In the very least you defined your stance away from the initial groupthink crowd as primarily against the camera, but swayed by weight and what you deem 'toy' planes as ok to fly from a house. By your standards there is an acceptable weight to fly over houses and I'm above it. Autonomous, non cam flight is okay as long as its a retrofitted toy. We started out by thinking all flights over houses was bad. Everyone has this same tradeoff level, but they won't stay on point. Its easy to give up on privacy expectations because google earth is such a big company, much easier to shift focus to what an individual does in low res I expect more of that line of thought to come

on_your_six 10-14-2012 09:23 AM

You said that everything was legal... I just pointed out an aspect ... call sign that was not.. desperately searching for a rule???? I don't think so... I am a ham... I happen to know that rule by heart because I have to comply with every transmission.

Weight is not the only consideration... the speed is also important... the kinetic energy of a 1/2 pound plane hitting something at 60mph is considerable. Yes I agree, most small foamies will not cause much damage.

Obviously, we can't tell you anything... the laws are lagging the technology in this area, so just because a law does not exist specifically prohibiting your actions does not, by default make it legal. If nothing else, you should want to keep from inflaming the issue before rules are issued next July by keeping your videos off the internet and providing evidence against the things we enjoy.

You say that your call sign is on the propeller... in all the frames I looked at, I could not determine the call sign. I guess that is good for you.

Just because you can, does not mean you should. Signing off.

topspin 10-14-2012 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: brandon429

On your six, see what i mean? Desperately trying to find something illegal.

Two questions Sherlock:

Does my vid look edited to you in any way?

What is the length of the video? What is the interval time between callsign xmission?

Keep thinking!

I like how you said don't talk about ham and then use it as an argument.

Name one time where you saw my propeller not spinning, in this edit.

Guess what's written on back of propeller?
Facing the camera? A little code that tells you where i live so you can come steal all my stereo equipment

I'm so actually not required to put that in a YouTube video.
Another assumption gone down the drain, you must be having beers with the no spotter guy. Let me guess, you think park flying during the day is safer because you were told it was?

So please tell us what frequencies you use for;

1. Control of the plane and,
2. for the video link.

Nowhere in your video did you identify using an amateur callsign. The rule is at the end of transmission regardless of length, but I want to hear how you justify it cause I can't see any way you operated within the rules.

brandon429 10-14-2012 09:38 AM

Topspin out of fear of looking further uninformed please read page 3 again for that exact point. You didn't watch the vid, freqs were the opening scroll, omg

Move from one point to another when the original doesn't stick eh six

since you made a big leap on the callsign thing, what leap might we be making now that's already been covered...legality is only debatable to the uninformed, you can harp on that more if you want you just won't be right.

You have the same weight issues as Matt. You would allow an fpv toy plane in your neighborhood, but you don't think a slowstick is a toy and I do.

brandon429 10-14-2012 09:43 AM

So topspin, I have to upload a non edited version to YouTube? What if I show you what I want you to see, and leave you making huge leaps for all the rest? We couldn't get you to watch a full 4mins, ten would lose you totally.

Wanted to feature takeoff and landing mainly. I never have to post callsign on YouTube. List your take on google earth and why you think park flying with people around the perimeter fine, there is nothing left to discuss of the supposed non issue of ham that's really quite an issue in hindsight huh? Glad I called that one page one, got it out of the way early only to be told it doesn't matter then fervently revisited on page 4
There's no predictability here or anything.
Each of you has weight restrictions, not house flying restrictions, you will end up self assessing pretty soon but only after a lot more not staying on point

bogbeagle 10-14-2012 09:58 AM

"Can-do" attitude ... it's what made America great.

Oh, wait ...

countilaw 10-14-2012 10:20 AM

Friends, countrymen and fellow hobbyist, A wise man once said, " An can't win an arguement with an idiot." Once he has a mind set, he will always be right in his own mind and there is nothing you can say to change it.

My grand dad always said, "An idiot only argues with himself." http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gif

Now I don't know if either of these apply here, but it's starting to look that way.

Frank http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ades_smile.gif

brandon429 10-14-2012 10:30 AM

The guy who thinks using google earth makes someone a peeping tom? Yes you sound sane. Troll, anyone who posts here without discussing google earth, how you justify park flying with people in the park, and what size range you will allow over your house with or without cam is using my thread to spout ridiculous anti fpv views. That's trolling, I set the direction of discussion but you don't have to adhere, you can make side arguments all day long.

Matt discussed it, we arrived at his real view, you are distracting.

Cue next poster not on topic.

mr_matt 10-14-2012 10:35 AM

You are all over the place, for someone who keeps droning on about staying on point.

I don't think flying over someone else's house is EVER OK at ANY weight. If I said something to the contrary I don't remember doing it.

So the safe way to enjoy model airplanes is tell everyone to stay indoors then fly over their house? Is that what you really think?

chris923 10-14-2012 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

You are all over the place, for someone who keeps droning on about staying on point.

I don't think flying over someone else's house is EVER OK at ANY weight. If I said something to the contrary I don't remember doing it.

So the safe way to enjoy model airplanes is tell everyone to stay indoors then fly over their house? Is that what you really think?

+1

brandon429 10-14-2012 10:36 AM

Why is a pz vapor not ok over houses, with no cam? Chris you just posted without stating your take on three issues, this is called group trolling.

Matt is still on point, initially he said yes to toy planes now we're revising. Unless he strictly flies them at AMA sanctioned fields out of town. If you do it from your yard, you are a double standard, weight issue guy, but not against house flying

Matt, for the 50the time I think AMA compliant park flyers are double standard non thinkers, that's where I stand. For them to think their plane can't veer off sideways is stupid. I fly when nobody is out, zero, that's the difference its been well covered.

Three points for each poster to review before opining:
1 how does google earth factor in to privacy comparisons
2 how you justify park flying with people at the park
3 what size toy plane you'd allow on your block, over and around your house, with or without cam. Matt won't actually delve into this, just flip flop a little.Be specific, why no plantraco 2gm ultra lights, no cam?
Keep trolling by not discussing these recurring themes.

To say you wouldn't allow a kid to fly his vapor on a calm evening all over the block is evidence of saying anything to avoid revising a standard you thought you held, that can be embarrassing.

When someone sets a poll, or asks me to review three topics before posting I do. But when discussing anti urban fpv, basic post respect is out the window in favor of initially lies, then subtle peeling of the onion to reveal double standards.

Caption the three issues and reply, then insert opinion whoever posts next

Matt we know you are clear about the park flying part, its been proven safe to you, good. The only parts not explained was your reasoning on the vapor or where you actually fly

JollyPopper 10-14-2012 11:53 AM

Not taking sides here because I don't care one way or another, but I have read this whole thread and my impression is that the OP is basing his whole argument on his belief that what he did is technically legal and he will persist on doing it and defending it no matter how many folks disagree. So my question is: is this an activity the he really enjoys above all other aspects of RC flying or is he commiting a questionable act in an effort to rub it in everyone's face who disagree with it. "I'm legal so the heck with all you folks who don't like it."

mr_matt 10-14-2012 12:25 PM

Matt is still on point, initially he said yes to toy planes now we're revising. Unless he strictly flies them at AMA sanctioned fields out of town. If you do it from your yard, you are a double standard, weight issue guy, but not against house flying

I never said "yes" to anything. I fly in in city/federal sanctioned fields or in my driveway or yard. I don't fly over anyone's house. Especially beyond line of site.

Matt, for the 50the time I think AMA compliant park flyers are double standard non thinkers, that's where I stand. For them to think their plane can't veer off sideways is stupid. I fly when nobody is out, zero, that's the difference its been well covered

Who said a plane can't veer off sideways? How does that make it OK to fly over peoples houses? Non sequitur.

Matt won't actually delve into this, just flip flop a little.
I demand that you point out a flip flop immediately, or retract this statement. Do it before you do anything else. I demand it! lol In my book flying over houses is never OK. I don't want you flying over anyone else that can get upset and call the authorities or the FAA (much less post a YouTube video).

Matt we know you are clear about the park flying part, its been proven safe to you, good. The only parts not explained was your reasoning on the vapor or where you actually fly
Flying over people's heads or houses is not good with any model (annoying, unsafe, disrespectful take your pick). I fly in a city park and a federal park. I sometimes fly indoors or in my driveway or in the cul de sac. If I annoy my neighbors I can assume they will try to stop me so I do my best not to annoy my neighbors. Chalk that up to maturity and common sense.

804 10-14-2012 12:29 PM

Why is a pz vapor not ok over houses, with no cam? Chris you just posted without stating your take on three issues, this is called group trolling.

Matt, for the 50the time I think AMA compliant park flyers are double standard non thinkers, that's where I stand. For them to think their plane can't veer off sideways is stupid. I fly when nobody is out, zero, that's the difference its been well covered.

Three points for each poster to review before opining:
1 how does google earth factor in to privacy comparisons
2 how you justify park flying with people at the park
3 what size toy plane you'd allow on your block, over and around your house, with or without cam. Matt won't actually delve into this, just flip flop a little.Be specific, why no plantraco 2gm ultra lights, no cam?
Keep trolling by not discussing these recurring themes.

To say you wouldn't allow a kid to fly his vapor on a calm evening all over the block is evidence of saying anything to avoid revising a standard you thought you held, that can be embarrassing.

When someone sets a poll, or asks me to review three topics before posting I do. But when discussing anti urban fpv, basic post respect is out the window in favor of initially lies, then subtle peeling of the onion to reveal double standards.

Caption the three issues and reply, then insert opinion whoever posts next

1) As far as I know, and I could be wrong, Google Earth users can't park a satellite above my house and surveil me real time like you could with FPV. If one can do that with Google Earth, I don't like
it, don't know what I can do about it, but I certainly don't have to accept one because of the other.

2)You seem to think the AMA's Park Pilot deal makes it legal to fly in any park. NOT SO.
Park flying is subject to local ordinances. AMA has no say in that. AMA insurance may, or may not, cover an incident while illegally flying inj a park. That would be determined by AMA's insurer
after the incident has been adjudicated in court.

3) I don't want any size rc, or free-flight, or fpv aircraft flying around or over my house, unless I'm the one doing it, or I give permission to someone else to do it.

You seem to be concerned with splitting hairs.
Here's one to split.
You say you have the right, as of now, to fly fpv, or presumably, any rc, over your neighbors' homes and property.
How about that neighbor kid that flies his Vapor around your block decides to buy a quadcopter, equips it with fpv, and decides to
fly into your yard while you are having a family picnic, and hovers it in front of you to inspect your cheeseburger?

So split that hair for me.
What is the difference being able to fly over my house surreptitiously in the middle of the night,
and being able to fly right in front of my face in broad daylight?

PLANE JIM 10-14-2012 12:32 PM

Great flight-I think I am going to build one now-this is too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on_your_six 10-14-2012 12:57 PM

It might not be illegal to fly over someone's property... jet's and general aviation GA aircraft do it everyday. Their minimum altitude is 500feet over uninhabited areas, 1000 over inhabited areas. To me, there seems to be a layer of airspace available for small FPV flights... say from 100 to 500 feet. Still those flights would have to be VFR Visual flight rules, and the current FPV equipment would not likely be up to see and avoid standards. I sure don't want a multi-rotor aircraft buzzing my house or party. (think of paparazzi using them to see Kate up close and personal) As many RC aircraft accidents as I have seen, it will be quite some time before they are as safe to fly as GA. There is never going to be a perfectly safe aircraft. I have seen battery fires as the result of crashes... and I am not likely to feel warm and fuzzy about a battery fire on my roof top.

If I were young and did not own a pot to pee in, my attitude would be more reckless. Now, I have more to loose in the case of liability for causing another person damages.

I also choose not to respond to demands to meaningless questions.

asimatt 10-14-2012 01:20 PM

I like drama on RCU. I see a reality TV show in the making!!!!!!!

brandon429 10-14-2012 01:20 PM

804 thanks chiming in on the points.
My stance on the quad fpv its legal and I don't care, I'd laugh and waive and if he crashed it into our dinner we would all laugh, just a difference in families that's all, probably slanted cuz I'm a block flyer lol. The small quads...not reg size, that's too big as I call the split.

Totally respect your opinion on the vapor flights
Any consistent opinion is respectable, if you asked me not to fly over you I wouldn't

If someone minds live video and not stills from a sat, that's fine too. No argument here.

All the scenarios we've read here about cams over your yard are preference for a perfect world. As the one poster, out of fifty misinformed said, there is no expectation of privacy in your yard I'm sorry but its the case in the link I provided

Posited like you wrote, I'd honor your space requests for sure. I'd fly totally around your property line.

brandon429 10-14-2012 01:23 PM

Its very important for us not to intermix our dislike for privacy laws, the exceedingly allowing laws, with someone being within the law, that's happening.

If one property owner asked another to respect airspace not of legality but of decency in preference, I'd honor that. But if you were any kind of park flyer I'd laugh and try to dodge your shotgun from the air it would be fun. you'd have double standards that wouldn't give you the right to expose others to risk and ask for special treatment above your airspace, regardless of what the AMA says.

For my argument regarding AMA sanctioned fields, we weren't meaning places where cities removed that qualification, just compliant parks. That subjects people to risk as a double standard of safety in AMA compliant parks, where people aren't walking about, they can't be struck. No persons were seen in my vid

bogbeagle 10-14-2012 01:36 PM

It might be different in the US ... but here, the minimum height that you can fly above ground is, well, zero.

The 500 foot rule applies only to persons, vessels and structures and is NOT a height. It is a distance ... so, it could be lateral, for instance.

So, there's no legal impediment to your skimming down to the grass in an open field, or to the surface of a lake. You don't need to seek permission to do that. In any case, the 500 foot rule is not applicable to model planes, afaik.

brandon429 10-14-2012 01:42 PM

In the US, there is no altitude restriction on pilot in command civilian setups. Some police themselves to be within the suggested 500 ft of FAA advisory circular 9157. It would seem by extension here the anti camera crew would prefer higher altitude flights vs safer, lower ones.

Glider pilots break advisory rules all the time, but they have no camera, so we don't wreck their threads lol

Luchnia 10-14-2012 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: 804
-grab my 12 gage splattermatic.
804.....I am glad I was not drinking coke or anything when I read those words. I would have spit it everywhere - cracked me up for a minute. I had this image of one of those little RC four wheelers like you see in the movies getting blown to bits by a 12 gauge shotgun! :D

804 10-14-2012 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

It might be different in the US ... but here, the minimum height that you can fly above ground is, well, zero.

The 500 foot rule applies only to persons, vessels and structures and is NOT a height. It is a distance ... so, it could be lateral, for instance.

So, there's no legal impediment to your skimming down to the grass in an open field, or to the surface of a lake. You don't need to seek permission to do that. In any case, the 500 foot rule is not applicable to model planes, afaik.
The rules here, afaik, are the same.
But, of course, we are talking about flying over urban areas.
It would be difficult to fly 500' laterally away from persons and structures, and not be nearly 500' AGL.
I think this a big problem FPV folks face. How to be high enough to be able to avoid being a nuisance to ground dwellers, and
be low enough to not endanger GA.

Just to be clear, I am not anti-FPV. Not interested enough to lay out the cash now, but I never say never.
I just don't like the idea of flying over urban areas. Two other hobbies I enjoy are shooting, and riding dirtbikes.
I think there is a time and place for those, as well as FPV, but populated areas are not the place for any of them.