RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Horizon Hobby and PayPal (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11298531-horizon-hobby-paypal.html)

JollyPopper 11-15-2012 02:52 PM

Horizon Hobby and PayPal

I just ran into an interesting situation. I discovered that Horiaon Hobby and PayPal do not play well together. I was attempting to order a small order via internet using a gift card and paying with PayPal. When I got to the screen where it asked for the gift card number, it accepted the gift card number and then reduced the total by that amount. But when I got to the check out screen, it was back to the original total. I closed down the site and started over and the same thing happened. So I called HH to ask what I was doing wrong. After a lengthy conversation with a very nice representative named Glenn, I happened to mention that I was using PayPal to pay for the order. That changed everything. He assumed I was using a credit card to pay, and profusely apologized and flat out said that HH and PayPal had not worked out a system where any deviation from an order total could be changed. If I had not used a gift card as partial payment, it would have been OK, but PayPal and HH have not worked out any working agreement where a gift card can be used. What we had to do is to cancel the PayPal order and use a credit card in order to use the gift card. Now I have to wait and see if, in fact, the amount does or does not show up in my PayPal account as it has been charged to a Visa credit card. Baffling as hell.

But it is not all bad. Glenn was extremely apoligetic and not only waived the shipping charges, he gave me what amounted to about a 20% discount on the parts. I ended up getting $77.82 worth of parts for $37.92 shipped. So this is great so long as the $77.92 does not show up in my PayPal account. We shall see.

Again, I will say that Glenn was extremely helpful and I believe he would have given me the order free of charge if he could have. He had an really good attitude about it, and I suspect that this attitude comes right from the top level of management at HH. I suspect that HH trains their guys to make the customer happy.

Anyone wish to try something like this with Hobby King?

Bill G 11-17-2012 05:45 AM

RE: Horizon Hobby and PayPal

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I just ran into an interesting situation. I discovered that Horizon Hobby and PayPal do not play well together. I was attempting to order a small order via internet using a gift card and paying with PayPal. When I got to the screen where it asked for the gift card number, it accepted the gift card number and then reduced the total by that amount. But when I got to the check out screen, it was back to the original total. I closed down the site and started over and the same thing happened. So I called HH to ask what I was doing wrong. After a lengthy conversation with a very nice representative named Glenn, I happened to mention that I was using PayPal to pay for the order. That changed everything. He assumed I was using a credit card to pay, and profusely apologized and flat out said that HH and PayPal had not worked out a system where any deviation from an order total could be changed. If I had not used a gift card as partial payment, it would have been OK, but PayPal and HH have not worked out any working agreement where a gift card can be used. What we had to do is to cancel the PayPal order and use a credit card in order to use the gift card. Now I have to wait and see if, in fact, the amount does or does not show up in my PayPal account as it has been charged to a Visa credit card. Baffling as hell.

But it is not all bad. Glenn was extremely apologetic and not only waived the shipping charges, he gave me what amounted to about a 20% discount on the parts. I ended up getting $77.82 worth of parts for $37.92 shipped. So this is great so long as the $77.92 does not show up in my PayPal account. We shall see.

Again, I will say that Glenn was extremely helpful and I believe he would have given me the order free of charge if he could have. He had an really good attitude about it, and I suspect that this attitude comes right from the top level of management at HH. I suspect that HH trains their guys to make the customer happy.

Anyone wish to try something like this with Hobby King?
I would retitle the thread to "Paypal is setup their way only and gift cards don't work". Horizon has no reason to "play" with paypal. They are a reputable company, and shouldn't have to deal with paypal whatsoever. Paypal wants to monopolize, and the last thing a large, decent company like Horizon should do, is to go along with it.

On the last suggestion, the answer is no. This is a gift card scenario with HK reported here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...11&postcount=1

ira d 11-17-2012 10:08 PM

RE: Horizon Hobby and PayPal

Your thread title is fine IMO, However Horizonshould post info on their web site stateing they have a problem with Paypal so the cust will be aware of what they may be
in for if they use Paypal.