RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Would you expect support from local hobby shop for missing batt & charger? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11356552-would-you-expect-support-local-hobby-shop-missing-batt-charger.html)

PondScum 01-04-2013 04:29 PM

Would you expect support from local hobby shop for missing batt & charger?

I've been thinking about getting back into R/C for a while (ex-wife sold/gave away all of it in violation of court order while she had possession of house ) and earlier today I purchased a 2wd Slash RTR from a local hobby shop, thinking I should try to support them.

The package was missing the battery and charger. The box appeared to have the factory shrink wrap and tape, and there was no evidence of the box ever being opened before. I called the LHS and they claimed they couldn't do anything and I would have to call Traxxas.

I'm very pleased with the support I received from Traxxas, but not happy at all with the support from the LHS. Am I wrong to think that the LHS could have done more to support me? They could have just given me another box off the shelf (after checking the contents) and handled the problem with Traxxas for me. Do they have this policy because too many people have tried to take advantage of it and scam free parts? The guy I talked to at Traxxas sort of suggested the small hobby stores didn't have the resources to ferret out scammers so it was best if they handled these kinds of problems. I understand that, but that will be my first and last purchase the the LHS in this town.

red head 01-04-2013 04:33 PM

RE: Would you expect support from local hobby shop for missing batt & charger?

That's pretty normal policy and has been for a lot of years . ENJOY !!! RED

vicman 01-04-2013 04:34 PM

It might be a case of them not having replacements in house other than to break the seal on a new one. That wouldn't work out too good for the next guy either.
You most likely got the quickest service on the path you are on.

Fly RC II 01-04-2013 04:38 PM

Yes, standard process.

PondScum 01-04-2013 04:39 PM

Ok, I'll just consider myself unlucky, and perhaps have them check the contents of the box before leaving the store next time.

ira d 01-04-2013 07:52 PM

I can see both sides of the issue but would feel a lot better about a store that is willing to step up and take responsibility for what they sale, anyway
it's good you got taking care of.

countilaw 01-04-2013 08:33 PM

I know with Traxxas, that the boxes are factory sealed and they do maintain the responsibility for the product. And the cost of the battery and charger would have probably cost more than the profit the hobby shop made on the car. Where the hobby shop makes a profit is on the parts, not the car/truck.

Traxxas does have an excellent warrantee program though.

Frank

DadsToysBG 01-05-2013 07:58 AM

I own a LHS and a quick call to Traxxas by me would have solved the problem. You would have gotten your battery and charger and I would have gotten credit for fixing it for you. Dennis

JollyPopper 01-05-2013 11:33 AM

That could very well be the standard procecure for a case like this but it's vey short sighted. The hobby shop loses. It seems Trassas was more than happy to supply the missing parts to the customer and I am sure they would have done the same for the hobby shop. In that case, nobody loses. The only difference is that the hobby shop would have a truck sitting in stock for a few days that could not be sold because it was missing a battery and charger. But they would have kept a customer who probably would have recommended the hobby shop to his friends. It seems Dennis at Dads Toys has this figured out. It ain't rocket science.

ira d 01-05-2013 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

That could very well be the standard procecure for a case like this but it's vey short sighted. The hobby shop loses. It seems Trassas was more than happy to supply the missing parts to the customer and I am sure they would have done the same for the hobby shop. In that case, nobody loses. The only difference is that the hobby shop would have a truck sitting in stock for a few days that could not be sold because it was missing a battery and charger. But they would have kept a customer who probably would have recommended the hobby shop to his friends. It seems Dennis at Dads Toys has this figured out. It ain't rocket science.
+1

PondScum 01-07-2013 01:55 AM

OMG, I AM A RETARD!!!

I had the battery and charger the whole time.

I hadn't taken the body off the truck, but I peeked under it and I didn't see a battery installed, so I assumed the battery and charger fit into cut-outs in the styrofoam packaging and were missing. After that I didn't bother to take the body off the truck or open the bag with the instructions until now (two days later).

The battery was in the truck the whole time, I just couldn't see it under the hold-down plate. And that tiny cardboard box in the plastic bag with the instructions, that I thought was too small to contain the charger, well, you guessed it.

This is one of those cases where if someone had just assumed I was an idiot, and asked a really dumb question like "Did you look inside the truck?", it would have solved my problem right then.

So embarrassed. Just sent an email to Traxxas telling them to not send the replacement parts as I was JUST TOO STUPID TO REALIZE I HAD THEM THE WHOLE TIME.

My wife will get a good laugh when I tell her this story in the morning.

carrellh 01-07-2013 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: PondScum
OMG, I AM A RETARD!!!
I had the battery and charger the whole time.
So embarrassed. Just sent an email to Traxxas telling them to not send the replacement parts as I was JUST TOO STUPID TO REALIZE I HAD THEM THE WHOLE TIME.
My wife will get a good laugh when I tell her this story in the morning.
I am glad to know I am not the only one who has done stuff like this. UPS hid an Amazon package behind a shrub and I thought it was stolen or delivered to the wrong house. Amazon took care of me no questions asked, and I found the original box the next day. I emailed them and they sent an UPS label for me to send it back. I'm sure they were laughing at me but they were very nice through the whole process.

josonalico 01-07-2013 05:31 PM

they were very nice through the whole process. <span class="info"></span>
http://www.dvxs.info/1a8.jpg

JollyPopper 01-07-2013 06:27 PM

Well, all that did was make the OP look a bit foolish. It doesn't change the hobby shop's failure to perform. The fact of the matter is that they refused to take care of a customer when that customer thought he had a problem. And the best indicator of how they will perform in the future is to look at how they performed in the past.

PondScum, maybe you should check with that hobby shop They might want that battery and charger since they evidently do not have one in stock in case a customer needs one.:eek: