RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Where do you get your glow fuel? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11587205-where-do-you-get-your-glow-fuel.html)

hookedonrc 09-22-2013 01:48 PM

Where do you get your glow fuel?

We have only 1 hobby shop left in Tulsa (Hobbytown) that stocks glow fuel. I used to get mine mixed by one shop owner that is no longer open. While I can get it at Hobbtown, I am trying to avoid their prices. I am looking for a source that can supply 15% something like Cool Power and ship it to me. Tower will ship it in 4 gallon shipments, plus $9.99 shipping. This brings the cost to $23.75 per gallon, which is more than I used to pay, but acceptable.

Anyone out that knows of a better deal?....or source?

Before any of you do the math, I just realized I did not include the hazardous material charges if shipped by Tower. So the $23.75 is not the true amount. Adding in the hazmat charges it brings the total to $122.48, or $30.62 per gallon.....which is now unacceptable

STUKA BARRY 09-22-2013 03:10 PM

I'm not much help as I gave up glow fuel in the 80's for giant gasoline engines, but I do remember flying Ritches Brew somewhere out of Texas that was cheap.

hookedonrc 09-22-2013 04:05 PM

I have to admit, I am flying only 1 at this time, but is a 40 size (OS46, Escapade) and I still like engine sound. Until we get gas engines that small and reliable I will still use glow.

bob62 09-22-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY (Post 11621722)
I'm not much help as I gave up glow fuel in the 80's for giant gasoline engines, but I do remember flying Ritches Brew somewhere out of Texas that was cheap.

He is in Houston, Tx

eddieC 09-22-2013 04:48 PM

Look for Ritch's or Cooper, both reasonably priced. I've seen $30+ for CP 15% at LHS, and $36 for 25% car fuel.

We order in bulk and pick it up at the Toledo show from the above vendors, less than $17/gal for15%. They do custom blends at little to no increase. Try doing a 2-case bulk order at your LHS for a reduced price, or go in with a club for greater savings.

hookedonrc 09-22-2013 05:28 PM

We do get to Dallas periodically and I have considered picking up a case while there. The club idea is a good one, but it has been discussed in the one I belong to, didn't go any
further.

RCKen 09-22-2013 06:01 PM

How often do you go to/though The City?? Mike's on North May is where I buy my glow fuel from. I try to buy a case or two at the beginning of the summer and then pick more if/when I need it. His prices are very reasonable and usually better than most.

Our club is considering doing a bulk purchase of fuel as well. We did this a few years back and it was pretty well received by all the members. Everybody ordered what they thought they would need, plus the club purchased fuel as well above and beyond what the members bought. We did to have it on hand to use as raffle prizes at our monthly meetings. We also made the fuel the club purchased available to the members to buy if they needed fuel. We let members buy from the club for $20/gallon.

hope this helps

Ken

hookedonrc 09-22-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks Ken, we used to go through OKC a lot when our son went to OU. After he graduated that went way down, well that is until we gave up our football season tickets. However, it is only a two hour drive and we haven't been to Bricktown for a few years now.

aspeed 09-23-2013 07:25 AM

I always mixed my own for decades, until I saw Ritches Brew (and another brand as well) at the Toledo show. It was $12 a gallon, this year it went up to $13 for 10% with your choice of oils, castor mix or whatever. It isn't worth mixing it any more as small batches of methanol here are quite pricy, like $10 a gallon plus $8 for oil. Maybe someone in your state could order a few cases for the club. Usually someone will go to Toledo from every club. I would guess there are other large shows where the bigger manufacturers show up too, like Perry etc.

bchapman 09-23-2013 07:29 AM

I'm in the same boat, so to speak as far as fuel goes. I know that Hobby Town charges more than others for fuel for sure. I saw a gallon of Byron 15% fuel at a pattern competition a year or so ago, that a guy from Texas had brought with him, and it had a price sticker of $14.99, so I know money can still be made even at that price. HT sells Byron 10% for I think $21.99/gal, which is quite a bit higher. I asked the guy if it was a sale or anything and he said that it was the regular price that he normally pays.

Although I feel that we're getting over charged, $21.99 a gallon isn't too bad considering that you can't save anything buying online.

Hobby Town does support my club, offering cost+ type pricing on prizes for our fly-ins and such, so I guess I take that into account when I look at the price. That, and if they're gone, we'll have to pay $30/gal. on the internet and that definitely won't be good!

JPMacG 09-23-2013 07:47 AM

Check with your local clubs. Some clubs do a group purchase - they have several pallets of fuel delivered. Also, some clubs buy fuel by the drum and split it up into gallons. We get 15% fuel for about $15 per gallon by picking it up at the S&W factory.

Airplanes400 09-23-2013 08:14 AM

In the last year, four hobby shops in my area (a 15 mile radius) closed.

I was smart enough to buy about 30 gallons of fuel a year ago for $14 each. I still have almost half of the glow fuel it left. So, I'm doing OK so far. But I'll be screwed about a year from now.

To make the fuel I have last even longer, I mostly fly my planes that have .50 sized two-stroke engines, or a 4-stroke engine, and sometimes fly planes with a .61 engine. I've sold all my .91 engines because they suck fuel the fastest. I've also put a .61 engine in a .91 plane, which worked great ... didn't notice anything other than a slightly slower airspeed and slower acceleration.

bchapman 09-23-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPMacG (Post 11622231)
Check with your local clubs. Some clubs do a group purchase - they have several pallets of fuel delivered. Also, some clubs buy fuel by the drum and split it up into gallons. We get 15% fuel for about $15 per gallon by picking it up at the S&W factory.

That's a good idea. I'm not to crazy about the 55 gal drum though. Seems like it'd be too heavy and the fuel would likely get contaminated with moisture since we'd be having to put it into used containers. Plus it we didn't use all the fuel, the volume taken up by the fuel we used would have to be replaced with moisture laden air.

I'd like to see if could get a bunch of members from our area together and approach the owner of Hobby Town about making a bulk fuel purchase. Maybe if we were buying, say 50 gallons or more the price would be better.

Brian

MTK 09-23-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookedonrc (Post 11621686)
We have only 1 hobby shop left in Tulsa (Hobbytown) that stocks glow fuel. I used to get mine mixed by one shop owner that is no longer open. While I can get it at Hobbtown, I am trying to avoid their prices. I am looking for a source that can supply 15% something like Cool Power and ship it to me. Tower will ship it in 4 gallon shipments, plus $9.99 shipping. This brings the cost to $23.75 per gallon, which is more than I used to pay, but acceptable.

Anyone out that knows of a better deal?....or source?

Before any of you do the math, I just realized I did not include the hazardous material charges if shipped by Tower. So the $23.75 is not the true amount. Adding in the hazmat charges it brings the total to $122.48, or $30.62 per gallon.....which is now unacceptable

They offer Super Specials for Club Members that help with free shipping and credits to final prices. But even with those, glow fuel is still quite expensive. Its a good thing that 40's use only 8 ozs at a time or about 15-16 flights per gallon.

You might give Ron Van Putte at Shalimar Hobbies a call. He can often get Cool Power for less, but it's been about 5 years since I needed glow fule

One thing you might think about....Evolution has a 10cc gassie available. It puts out a little more power than a 40 glow but it should be usable in most 40 glow apps...... And a gallon of gasoline will last about 30 flights running this size. If you ever decide to jump up in size to 90 size, there are several good 20cc gassies available that should be drop in fits into 90 glow apps.

I made the switch to smaller gas in 2009, and haven't looked back. Smaller for me means 30cc class...Have found gas powerplants to be much more reliable, easier starting, running and maintaining, with no rebuilds required and no rust (bearings, piston rings, plugs, etc)......

raptureboy 09-23-2013 09:14 AM

Try here. http://splube.com/otherapplications.html our club buys a drum every year and sells it to members for $12 gal. We are fortunate enough to be close enough to pick it up ourselves. Gas engines now are down to .10 even by the gallon though it's still cheaper.

raptureboy 09-23-2013 09:19 AM

You really don't get enough moisture to worry about. We have every one bring their own containers and what ever is left over we put into smaller gas cans and store in our shed.we'd be having to put it into used containers. Plus it we didn't use all the fuel, the volume taken up by the fuel we used would have to be replaced with moisture laden air.

I'd like to see if could get a bunch of members from our area together and approach the owner of Hobby Town about making a bulk fuel purchase. Maybe if we were buying, say 50 gallons or more the price would be better.

Brian[/QUOTE]

hookedonrc 09-23-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTK (Post 11622283)
One thing you might think about....Evolution has a 10cc gassie available. It puts out a little more power than a 40 glow but it should be usable in most 40 glow apps...... And a gallon of gasoline will last about 30 flights running this size. If you ever decide to jump up in size to 90 size, there are several good 20cc gassies available that should be drop in fits into 90 glow apps.

I made the switch to smaller gas in 2009, and haven't looked back. Smaller for me means 30cc class...Have found gas powerplants to be much more reliable, easier starting, running and maintaining, with no rebuilds required and no rust (bearings, piston rings, plugs, etc)......

I think I must be doing the same as you have in the long run. I have an Ultra Stick Lite with a G-26, Pulse 125 and a DLE 20 on the shelf my next build, and I have a DLE30 ready for another one. Also considering trying out the EV10 CC using the Meridian it is advertised with. If I find out the EV10 works as a replacement for a 46 sized motor, I may have my OS46 AX bronzed and hang it on the wall. I also have 4 electrics that I fly, so with only 1 glow left, it could very well be my last.....

toolmaker7341 09-23-2013 11:11 AM

You could buy a NV 40G (formerly Norvell) it runs on gas and Klotz Benol with glow no ignition mix your own for about $6-$7 a gal. There is a thread about it here try "NV Engines" I bought 1 just to see if it was true. It works and idles great turns a 10-7 @ 13,000 rpm not to shabby.

kochj 09-23-2013 11:46 AM

I too have often wondered about a place that has good prices...

There is a brand that has fairly low rates....just can't remember....
But don't want to mess the engine up for a few dollars saved either.

gridley 09-23-2013 01:30 PM

Out of a can.

bullseye000 09-23-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gridley (Post 11622525)
Out of a can.

Hmmm... what a sterling wit. I'll also recommend Ritch's Brew. I shopped all the fuel vendors one year at Toledo and Ritch's had the best lubrication package and price for my money. If your married to a brand YMMV. Try contacting them maybe they will sell direct.

geeter 09-23-2013 02:25 PM

the cost of glow fuel has always been high. the fuel itself i buy is 19.00 a gallon at hobbytown. not bad. ups tacks on almost 25.00 a case hazmat. good for them........ripoffs. it use to be 4.00 a case ten years ago. they charge that because they can. the only other option is to mix it yourself. not worth it to me, but maybe some people. the norvel .40 size gas engine is good......but again benol oil is 9.00 a pint. plus the gas 3.50 a gallon soooooooo 1 pint of benol or castor doesn't even make a gallon....it makes amout 98 oz of mixed gas oil. that's 3/4 of a gallon in my book. it's still cheaper and the engine uses very little gas, about 5 oz of mix will fly about 15-20 minutes they claim. this is where the savings come into play. the motor is 160.00. i would buy a .60 or .90 if they ever make one...............RON

049flyer 09-23-2013 02:55 PM

Make a once a year trip to Mike's in Dallas and STOCK UP!

Another option is to fly smaller planes. I have been flying .15 sized planes and smaller for years. A gallon of fuel lasts a LONG time when you fly smaller planes. Plus glow engines can be had for peanuts as people move towards electrics and gas. The golden days of glow are not yet over!

vertical grimmace 09-23-2013 03:25 PM

I do not understand why glow is so expensive. It does not seem the components add up to what they charge. Too bad we could not just have engines designed to fly on FAI like in Europe. Then nitro methane would not be needed. All that needs to be done is a compression increase. Like the Rossi's.

Availability of glow fuel, if anything else will be the reason why so many switch to gas. Kind of a shame as I love my glow engines. I have only flown one glow engine for the past 3 years though, and it is on a trainer plane. All I fly is gas, and all of my current and future builds will be gas as well. At least as long as we have automobiles, we will not have to worry about gas going away. Unless they all get converted to electric I suppose!

hookedonrc 09-23-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 049flyer (Post 11622591)
Make a once a year trip to Mike's in Dallas and STOCK UP!

Another option is to fly smaller planes. I have been flying .15 sized planes and smaller for years. A gallon of fuel lasts a LONG time when you fly smaller planes. Plus glow engines can be had for peanuts as people move towards electrics and gas. The golden days of glow are not yet over!

lol.....I already have Mike's on my list of places to stop by. We usually make a 3 or 4 day trip to Dallas at least once a year. We might make it on Thanksgiving weekend, but haven't made up our minds yet. Smaller planes won't work that well for me, since I am already having a hard time seeing the 40 sizes.