RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Well, a drone pilot has really done it now (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11587722-well-drone-pilot-has-really-done-now.html)

Mpizpilot 10-02-2013 01:42 PM

Well, a fpv/quadpilot has really done it now

Someone was flying a DJI phantom over midtown NYC and after running it into a couple buildings, hit another and it crashed on a sidewalk almost hitting a pedestrian. I work in this part of the city all the time, this has to be one of the stupidest moves yet. Get ready for some real fireworks.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ors&id=9270668

1320Fastback 10-02-2013 04:44 PM

Just another nail in the coffin...
Don't think the FAA is watching what we all do.

Rob2160 10-02-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot (Post 11629453)
Someone was flying a DJI phantom over midtown NYC and after running it into a couple buildings, hit another and it crashed on a sidewalk almost hitting a pedestrian. I work in this part of the city all the time, this has to be one of the stupidest moves yet. Get ready for some real fireworks.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ors&id=9270668

Yes, I agree with you, a very stupid thing to do and nothing good will come out of it.

Watching the actual footage from the Quad's Camera, the operator is clearly inexperienced. There are numerous times he loses orientation and wrong thumbs it.

Stupidity aside, I was impressed that the quad survived so many collisions and appears to remain flyable.

Interesting what the NYPD / FAA will do.

collector1231 10-02-2013 05:32 PM

I think it is THE nail in the coffin. Get ready for all sorts of hate, due to idiots like these people.

init4fun 10-02-2013 05:47 PM

A very stupid thing to do , no doubt about it . I do think that since no one was hurt , the news won't have much to sensationalize over it , and the incident will fade quickly . Heck , NO disrespect intended , but the guy who killed himself last month ended up being on the TV news here for exactly one day ! And we're not talking some distant incident here , I live in one of the states that boarders NY (The state where the fatal RC heli accident happened) . Right now the media is too wrapped up in what the dolts in DC are doing to give much traction to a story of an errant toy that had no gruesome injuries to report ...

scale only 4 me 10-03-2013 04:06 AM

Unfortunately it just one my thing,, 20 some years ago some idiot flew a plane into the goodyear blimp,, on purpose,,, there's not stopping or fixing stupid. The only way to have any effect is to penalize the individual,,, but we'll probably never hear what happens on that end

And surely do ever expect the media to be anything less that sensationalize everything,, all they care about is selling advertising spots and ratings,, they stopped being Journalists a long time ago.

Ron Olson 10-03-2013 05:48 AM

By using the word "Drone" in the stories makes it appear that it was something to do with the military, not some idiot flying a quadcopter off from his balcony. The media has to hype it while they can. On AOL there were a lot of replies from responsible R/Cer's that also condoned what this genius did.

topspin 10-03-2013 05:59 AM

Totally irresponsible act, only an idiot would fly an RC model over a heavily populated area. Lets just hope the backlash is not too bad.

Hokie Flyer 10-03-2013 07:30 AM

scale only 4 me 10-03-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Olson (Post 11629877)
By using the word "Drone" in the stories makes it appear that it was something to do with the military, not some idiot flying a quadcopter off from his balcony. The media has to hype it while they can. On AOL there were a lot of replies from responsible R/Cer's that also condoned what this genius did.

Typo? Condoned or Condemned?? if the condoned itthey are not responsible RCers IMO

rgburrill 10-03-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 11629993)
Typo? Condoned or Condemned?? if the condoned itthey are not responsible RCers IMO

You got that right. No responsible RCer could condone this stupidity.

757jonp 10-03-2013 10:38 AM

I wouldn't think it'd take to long to track these guys down. There they are, right on the video, and a nice clear shot of where they launched it from. Almost as good as putting your name, address and phone number on the thing.

I'd send in a FCC tactical hit squad to take em out...... book 'em Danno!

757jonp 10-03-2013 10:41 AM

FCC??? Meant to say FAA!! Oh Hell, send in the FCC too while you're at it!

lopflyers 10-03-2013 11:50 AM

I don't think it is a problem for us. It's terrible, he shouldn't be doing that anyways but it is completely obvious he is not one of us.
He is a terrible pilot

JollyPopper 10-03-2013 11:54 AM

Yeah, one of those things that begins with "F".

mike31 10-03-2013 04:01 PM

They will want to ban quads next!

Mpizpilot 10-03-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Olson (Post 11629877)

Your 100% correct! I changed the title of the post.

baldowl 10-04-2013 06:18 AM

Idiots...stupid..."genius"? You people are WAY too kind! I know that space is a premium in NYC, but Central Park can't be THAT far away, and there are open areas there. Come on people, use your head! Don't do anything that you will have to beat yourself up for later!

PLANE JIM 10-04-2013 02:47 PM

I just saw the video on the national news-He filmed himself before takeoff-they will have no problem tracking this guy down-although he had some amazing footage

Altered1 10-04-2013 05:37 PM

Same thing happened here in Australia on Wednesday. Sydney is hosting the Australian Navy Fleet review, and has a member of the Royal family attending... so security level is a little higher than normal, and some idiot flies into the sydney harbour bridge.

Dont bother watching the video in the link - no footage of the craft.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mystery-dr...004-2uzks.html