RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Users of Hobby King Covering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11590797-users-hobby-king-covering.html)

PLANE JIM 11-29-2013 09:00 PM

Users of Hobby King Covering

I would like to know your own experience in using HK covering-thanks

Oh I almost forgot to mention please do not post if you have not used it-thanks

dirtybird 11-30-2013 03:38 PM

I plan to use it all the time now. I have covered three planes with it now and I find it superior to other coverings I have used. It has a much higher shrink rate than Monocoat.And its 1/2the price.
Its being stocked in the HK USA warehouse.
The only problemI have found it it will leave a white line around a patch if you are not careful

PLANE JIM 11-30-2013 03:58 PM

I appreciate the information-went to three hobby shops found one roll of Ultracoat (I needed four)-I think I will place in order with HK once again-thanks

blvdbuzzard 11-30-2013 05:00 PM

There is a good thread on the China coat covering in the kit building section. To me, it is tougher then the econo coat, stretches better then monocote, low heat, goes on and shrinks well. If you touch the iron so it is glue side to glue side, no way to pull it apart. It sticks well too. I was getting it from Hobby partz, but they are out of stock on all but (2) colors., sky blue and blue/black.

Buzz.

RAMFlyer 11-30-2013 05:56 PM

+1 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...chinakote.html

countilaw 11-30-2013 06:16 PM

I've never used China Coat, but....... I may try it sometime.

Hey Jim--- GOTCHA !! !

Frank

PLANE JIM 11-30-2013 08:54 PM

I saw in the HK website you can get a 5 meter roll for $10.00 or so-that is hell of a lot cheaper-I attempted to buy from LHS but I should have known better-one roll available and I need four!!!

Their answer was "We can order it" and I am thinking --SO CAN I AND SAVE!!!

PLANE JIM 11-30-2013 09:07 PM

Hello Frank-Happy Thanksgiving-I am tired of paying $16.00 for a roll of covering any other ideas?

topspin 12-01-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM (Post 11674469)
I saw in the HK website you can get a 5 meter roll for $10.00 or so-that is hell of a lot cheaper-I attempted to buy from LHS but I should have known better-one roll available and I need four!!!

Their answer was "We can order it" and I am thinking --SO CAN I AND SAVE!!!

While I have never used it i have never heard anyone say anything bad about it either. I have to assume it's decent covering.

JollyPopper 12-01-2013 10:19 AM

Can it be had anywhere other than HK?

Roo Man 12-01-2013 02:04 PM

Checkout Value Hobby

I don't know if it is the same type covering, but you should checkout the covering at Value Hobby. They are located near Chicago. They sell a roll that is right at 16' long by 25" wide for 12.99. They claim it is similar to Ultra coat.

There standard shipping is $3.99.

I have 2 rolls on order.

Gary

dirtybird 12-01-2013 05:26 PM

The size suggests it is China coat.
If it is you can get the same stuff from HK USA warehouse for $9 + shipping

Roo Man 12-01-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 11674999)
The size suggests it is China coat.
If it is you can get the same stuff from HK USA warehouse for $9 + shipping

Thanks, I was unaware that HK carried covering material.

Thanks,

Gary

Roo Man 12-01-2013 07:00 PM

I guess I won't be buying from HK. Freight quote for 2 rolls was over $16.00 from the USA whse. Value Hobby ships for $3.99 per order.

Gary

dirtybird 12-02-2013 11:39 AM

Are you sure you were at the USA warehouse?
I got a 1/10 rc car shipped for !2.50.

Roo Man 12-02-2013 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 11675575)
Are you sure you were at the USA warehouse?
I got a 1/10 rc car shipped for !2.50.

Based on buying from US whse and using the HK freight chart her are total costs per roll including frt from both HK and Value Hobby...

1 roll HK $16.45
VAL $16.98
3 rolls HK $14.05
Val $ 14.32
4 rolls HK $16.30
Val $13.98

The more you buy from Value, the lower the total cost per roll. I prefer to do business with US businesses and ones that I have good customer service from.

Gary

countilaw 12-02-2013 08:37 PM

I have not tried this yet, but I did go to the dollar store and picked some up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJm8d6Ek94

It looks pretty cheap.

Frank

RCKen 12-02-2013 08:54 PM

Ok guys, let's get the thread back on track here. The OP asked for experiences of people that have used the covering, not cost of shipping or other things. If you don't have anything to add on the topic then please refrain from posting here. Any further off topic posts will be removed.

Thanks for your cooperation

Ken

Flypaper 2 12-03-2013 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This old Byron Christen Eagle is covered with this stuff. Good thing it takes low heat as this 18 lb plane is all foam. :D As said above, goes on much like Ultracote. If you stay away from the edges with the iron after it's applied, it won't pull away and leave that white strip. Found that out the hard way. After a year it's still reasonably tight.

Gord.

Roo Man 12-06-2013 02:56 PM

I received my 2 rolls of covering from Value Hobby. Theirs is called Neucover but I tend to think it's the same as sold by HK.

I tested on wing tip, where I always have problems.

Observations:
* The only little problem I had was getting the backing off but finally figured it out.
* It went on just fine at 250 degrees F
* Used iron and heat gun to stretch around the wing tip. Best tip I ever did.
* The white line at edge of covering after heavy stretching appears to be adhesive as I was able to remove quite easily with acetone.
* This appears to be a winner.

I will also try the HK version when next needing covering.

Gary

PLANE JIM 12-08-2013 04:21 PM

I received the covering yesterday from the USA Warehouse (four day delivery time)-It looks to be ok-I will try it out this week and let everyone know

countilaw 12-08-2013 04:57 PM

A good and simple way to remove the backing is to take an Acto Knife and using the point, ***** the covering, not the backing, in the corner and lift the covering from the backing. Just STAB, the covering with the point and lift. Another method is to apply a little tape to the backing and use it to pull the backing away from the covering material. Although I have never used HK covering, it works well with Monokote, ultracoat and others.

Flypaper 2 12-08-2013 05:06 PM

I think it was already mentioned back there somewhere, but I scratch down at a corner with a ballpoint on the backing side and it will curl up.

PLANE JIM 12-14-2013 08:49 PM

Tried out the HK covering today-it applies easily like Ultracoat and shrink rate about the same-I could not really tell the difference except in my wallet!!!
Time will tell in these hot summers at the flying field