RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   NOT screwed by Hobbyking. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11593070-not-screwed-hobbyking.html)

bogbeagle 01-13-2014 02:17 AM

NOT screwed by Hobbyking.

A good news story.

I had a package go missing in transit.

Hobby King investigated. They emailed on many occasions, keeping me abreast of the situation.

They reimbursed me the cost of the goods.

Yes, it took a while ... about 6 weeks ... for resolution.

Neither party got ripped-off.

THE END

Oh yeah, I'm placing a new order with them.

topspin 01-13-2014 07:26 AM

How nice.

Nother good news story. I placed an order with Amazon for a DVD player and a sound bar for my daughter in San Diego, got free two day shipping. They sent it to her old address by mistake so I called them on the phone.

They said, " No probem we will send another one out today". I asked what about the one that went to the wrong address? They said, " We will take care of that, you don't need to do anything else".

She got it one day later. That's what I call customer service.

Another good news story. I ordered two motors, prop adaptors, propellers, and two ESC's from HURC last monday. Two dollar shipping and the order showed up on Wednesday, three days. Can't beat that.

So tell me again why six weeks to get a refund is so good? I bet if the Bank took your money and didn't pay you any interest you would find another bank and yet you are perfectly OK with Hobby King keeping your money for six weeks.

And how do you even know the package was lost in transit, do you know how rare that is in this age of computer and barcode tracking systems? They use that as an excuse because they never shipped your stuff. If they did you would have had a working tracking number that said where it was. In that case it would only take them 24 hours to find it and get you a refund if they were an honest company.

By the way before you ask, I knew the Amazon package went to the wrong address because UPS sent me notice of delivery that included the address. They know where stuff is at all times. Hobby King actually screwed you and your still smiling. Go ahead and waste your money with them.

The End.

flyinwalenda 01-13-2014 07:43 AM

Even a broken clock is right twice a day .
How did they reimburse you ?
Store credit I'll bet, so you can gamble with them again.!

Jim Schwagle 01-13-2014 07:47 AM

We've all got stories. I had a shipment sent through UPS and it just disappeared. Yes, the wonderful tracking number told me the last place it was at, then never delivered. The outfit I purchased from (Central Hobbies) immediately sent a replacement without finding out where it was and I never did get the package, nor, according to Central Hobbies, did they ever find it. I have ordered many, many items through Hobby King, and, every time, but one got what was ordered. In that one case they sent the wrong electric motor and I just assumed it was a mistake in packing, as the motor sent was more expensive than the one I ordered. If you have any experience with Hobby King you know that nothing happens fast, and that is just the way it is if you do business with them. I order, then know I will have to wait. ( I always use standard shipping, not expedited). I don't bash them, I know what to expect and I get it.

bogbeagle 01-13-2014 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda (Post 11709392)

!

I see. Something goes wrong and "it's malicious" ... something goes right and "it's chance".

I was offered Paypal or credit and I chose credit.

The transaction involved a 3rd-party courier ... and I chose the cheapest option.

Frankly, I don't see what more could have been done by Hobbyking. They had fulfilled their part of the bargain ... it was the carrier who was at fault.

Hobbyking investigated and re-imbursed me. What more could you ask?

topspin 01-13-2014 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Schwagle (Post 11709398)
We've all got stories. I had a shipment sent through UPS and it just disappeared. Yes, the wonderful tracking number told me the last place it was at, then never delivered. The outfit I purchased from (Central Hobbies) immediately sent a replacement without finding out where it was and I never did get the package, nor, according to Central Hobbies, did they ever find it. I have ordered many, many items through Hobby King, and, every time, but one got what was ordered. In that one case they sent the wrong electric motor and I just assumed it was a mistake in packing, as the motor sent was more expensive than the one I ordered. If you have any experience with Hobby King you know that nothing happens fast, and that is just the way it is if you do business with them. I order, then know I will have to wait. ( I always use standard shipping, not expedited). I don't bash them, I know what to expect and I get it.

Well they stuck it to me twice, the first time was peanuts but the second time they swiped eighty five bucks from me. So yes, I don't care for them at all and they won't get the chance to rip me off again.. I also like to let others know about the similarity between ordering from them and playing a slot machine in hopes that fellow RC enthusiats won't get ripped off by them. There are just too many good companies out there with great prices and honest business policies to bother with the Hobby Pirates of Hong Kong.

flyinwalenda 01-13-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bogbeagle (Post 11709407)
I see. Something goes wrong and "it's malicious" ... something goes right and "it's chance".

I was offered Paypal or credit and I chose credit.

The transaction involved a 3rd-party courier ... and I chose the cheapest option.

Frankly, I don't see what more could have been done by Hobbyking. They had fulfilled their part of the bargain ... it was the carrier who was at fault.

Hobbyking investigated and re-imbursed me. What more could you ask?

Actually if something goes right with a HK problem it would be miraculous ! :)
As far as "what more could you ask for"? Read the second post . Resolutions to issues within several days not months.
As stated there are plenty of companies dealing in RC products who get it (customer service)right on a daily basis...not once in a while. Glad it worked out for you but you are in the minority.

init4fun 01-13-2014 11:27 AM

:rolleyes: Meh , This post notwithstanding , I've mostly given up on responding to HK troll posts that are only posted to stir up trouble . Anyone with any internet sense knows to research before they buy , and a simple search of HK's name , especially with places such as the BBB , will certainly deter the informed away from spending their greenbacks there . All one needs to do is to compare HK's BBB rating with , , , Oh , , lets say , HH's BBB rating for example , and the choice becomes crystal clear , with no chat forum BS shilling of the kinds one might find in threads that look a lot like this one ....

:cool: Happy Flying (and shopping) everyone ....

Jim Schwagle 01-13-2014 11:31 AM

I would be very unhappy with a loss of $85 also, but that said...I have never ordered anything expensive, I think my most expensive order was for several items that totaled about $150. My experience has been good. I wouldn't hesitate to order again, as I do about 4-6 times per year, now mostly, but not always from their US warehouse. There are a number of good web retailers available now in the US and I do order from them too (Tower, Central Hobbies and Chief Aircraft are my favorites). I've never had a problem that HK needed to resolve and I can see that it is indeed problematic, if it occurs. They're far away, not in the US and if unresolved, you're left with little recourse. I think you would be more effective with a calmer tone, or at least different wording and more explanation as to how it happened. The vehemence and venom of the posts tends to make some people ignore it as I know there are some on the web who have problems that no one else seems to, and they are constantly shouting about that evil seller. It poisons it for those with real problems.

PLANE JIM 01-13-2014 02:34 PM

HOBBYKING RULES-Hopefully they will buy all the other suppliers that have been overcharging for years for the same China produced goods!!!!

flyinwalenda 01-13-2014 02:53 PM

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46928...qlt=80&pid=1.7

Tony Iannucelli 01-13-2014 03:29 PM

I've racked up 117 orders with Hobby King. Two minor issues, resolved quickly. Best record time was 8-9 days from Hong Kong, 3-4 days from Washington, USA. I'm in Florida. Most orders take 2-3 weeks with me from China when I ship the least expensive way. I've had great luck with about 40 batteries so far. I'm a 'premier' member, which means a lot of orders I guess.
I'm currently waiting for two software items from Amazon. It's been five days already. I'm a 'prime' member. Shipping is slow because of the cold weather in a lot of places. Amazon is up the street compared to Hong Kong, so the stuff ought to get here faster. Looking for my first 'quad delivery!'
Tower Hobbies, 4-6 days, even big boxes. Free shipping, because I'm in the Tower Club. Love those guys.
Love Horizon too even though shipping seems a bit high.
Value Hobby, 3 days for a foamie. $8 shipping, worth it.
Hobby Lobby, 3-4 days, same with Hobby People on the west coast. Good products too. From China of course, through them.
We are really fortunate to have all these suppliers.
The LHS just went out of business, (again, different guy). No way to support him. He just didn't have the inventory and everything was retail.
I'd suggest going with who you like and not trashing anyone because they happen to like the supplier they use. I've never had bad luck with any of them, but I certainly understand you'd have hard feelings if you lost some money. Two or three orders isn't much of a sample, but hey, I get it.

warningshot 01-13-2014 05:42 PM

I made a HK order on 1/09/2014 and received it this morning at 1130AM. HK shipped it on 1/10/2014. They seem to be improveing.

topspin 01-13-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli (Post 11709792)
I've racked up 117 orders with Hobby King. Two minor issues, resolved quickly. Best record time was 8-9 days from Hong Kong, 3-4 days from Washington, USA. I'm in Florida. Most orders take 2-3 weeks with me from China when I ship the least expensive way. I've had great luck with about 40 batteries so far. I'm a 'premier' member, which means a lot of orders I guess.
I'm currently waiting for two software items from Amazon. It's been five days already. I'm a 'prime' member. Shipping is slow because of the cold weather in a lot of places. Amazon is up the street compared to Hong Kong, so the stuff ought to get here faster. Looking for my first 'quad delivery!'
Tower Hobbies, 4-6 days, even big boxes. Free shipping, because I'm in the Tower Club. Love those guys.
Love Horizon too even though shipping seems a bit high.
Value Hobby, 3 days for a foamie. $8 shipping, worth it.
Hobby Lobby, 3-4 days, same with Hobby People on the west coast. Good products too. From China of course, through them.
We are really fortunate to have all these suppliers.
The LHS just went out of business, (again, different guy). No way to support him. He just didn't have the inventory and everything was retail.
I'd suggest going with who you like and not trashing anyone because they happen to like the supplier they use. I've never had bad luck with any of them, but I certainly understand you'd have hard feelings if you lost some money. Two or three orders isn't much of a sample, but hey, I get it.

So that's what, about 30 orders a year over a 4 year period? Wow, that's a lot considering you say you also order from other hobby dealers. I used four years because before 2009 HK was on Ebay and we all know how that went. They were so bad that Anthony got kicked off of Ebay and you really have to have a bad rep to manage that. So I assume you are a dealer? Or that you are a compulsive shopper cause that is an awful lot of orders.

rcguy59 01-13-2014 07:35 PM

I now have about 50 orders from HK. Every one delivered intact until the U.S.A. warehouse opened. That was when I discovered that I can drive to their warehouse in 8 minutes on my lunch hour and pick up my order after placing it the previous evening. Look Ma, no shipping! My experience with HK has been good so far, but how long my luck holds is anyone's guess. We're talking about HK, after all. Yes, HK's reputation stinks and yes, they pretty well earned it. But they are getting better all the time and seem to learn from their mistakes, albeit slowly. If you don't want to deal with them, then don't. For me at least, it doesn't feel like a crapshoot anymore when I place an order. Flamesuit on.

oil_can_harry 01-13-2014 08:19 PM

I ordered a solid red Mach 2 from airborne models. Got the plane with no problem. I have built over 10 Mach 2's with no issues. Put the red plane together and had a main wing that was warped 1 1/8" inches. The elevator bed was warped the opposite direction 3/4 of an inch. I sent an email to airborne models explaining what I had found. They sent me an email back in less than 45 minutes. The guy apologized for the warped plane and sent me another plane free of charge and freight. I received it 2 days later . I received another email from airborne and asked if the plane made it and asked if it was okay. Can't beat that for service !!!!!

blhollo2 01-14-2014 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda (Post 11709392)
How did they reimburse you ?
Store credit I'll bet, so you can gamble with them again.!

Another troll on RCU..:rolleyes:

happycamper 01-14-2014 05:23 AM

you have a small perspective of this hobby if you think 30 orders a year is a lot. I know people with double that. I have 200 from sellers in 5 years,mostly ebay and only 3 with hobbyking what's the big deal how many orders a person has? its not your money so why get bent out of shape about it.

Tony Iannucelli 01-14-2014 05:41 AM

Not calling anyone out, but R/C is my hobby -- my only hobby. Here's a summary taken from the HK web page. No, I'm not a dealer nor do I work for Hobby King. I do my hobby everyday because I'm retired and live in Florida. I have about a 20 nitro powered 60-90 size planes, five helicopters, and 24 electrics. Latest is the Hadron from Tower. I've got a bunch of 3-4 cell EDF jets. I fly a minimum of twice a week, and in the summer mornings, I fly almost every day. We fly near my home... so close I use a golf cart to get there ... and I'm in the Manatee R/C Flyers, arguably the friendliest club in Florida with about 150 members. The club field is 6 miles away. I know 117 orders seem like a lot, but we have guys with over 200 orders. Buying from Hobby King has been a pleasure for me. My dollar goes a long way with them. I use mostly 40-45C batteries and have had great luck with them. Many of my orders are for batteries and accessories. But I have a Hobby King P-38, several Stingers, and several other planes. Some of my stuff is on modelairplanenews.com if you're interested. Sorry to sound like a braggart .... I'm not, just giving facts to respond to someone suggesting I'm not truthful.

Welcome back! Anthony
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD] http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...209:27:12%20PM [/TD]
[TD] Anthony Iannucelli (Savannah Flyer)
Customer Type: Platinum Member (EliteClub)
Orders: 117 CHECK
Your Wish List has items
Account settings & tools
Warranty Codes

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

topspin 01-14-2014 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rcguy59 (Post 11710076)
I now have about 50 orders from HK. Every one delivered intact until the U.S.A. warehouse opened. That was when I discovered that I can drive to their warehouse in 8 minutes on my lunch hour and pick up my order after placing it the previous evening. Look Ma, no shipping! My experience with HK has been good so far, but how long my luck holds is anyone's guess. We're talking about HK, after all. Yes, HK's reputation stinks and yes, they pretty well earned it. But they are getting better all the time and seem to learn from their mistakes, albeit slowly. If you don't want to deal with them, then don't. For me at least, it doesn't feel like a crapshoot anymore when I place an order. Flamesuit on.

Do me a favor and please post a picture of the Hobby King warehouse so we can see what it looks like. No flames, I promise.

topspin 01-14-2014 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli (Post 11710282)
Not calling anyone out, but R/C is my hobby -- my only hobby. Here's a summary taken from the HK web page. No, I'm not a dealer nor do I work for Hobby King. I do my hobby everyday because I'm retired and live in Florida. I have about a 20 nitro powered 60-90 size planes, five helicopters, and 24 electrics. Latest is the Hadron from Tower. I've got a bunch of 3-4 cell EDF jets. I fly a minimum of twice a week, and in the summer mornings, I fly almost every day. We fly near my home... so close I use a golf cart to get there ... and I'm in the Manatee R/C Flyers, arguably the friendliest club in Florida with about 150 members. The club field is 6 miles away. I know 117 orders seem like a lot, but we have guys with over 200 orders. Buying from Hobby King has been a pleasure for me. My dollar goes a long way with them. I use mostly 40-45C batteries and have had great luck with them. Many of my orders are for batteries and accessories. But I have a Hobby King P-38, several Stingers, and several other planes. Some of my stuff is on modelairplanenews.com if you're interested. Sorry to sound like a braggart .... I'm not, just giving facts to respond to someone suggesting I'm not truthful.

Welcome back! Anthony
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD] http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...209:27:12%20PM
[/TD]
[TD] Anthony Iannucelli (Savannah Flyer)
Customer Type: Platinum Member (EliteClub)
Orders: 117 CHECK
Your Wish List has items
Account settings & tools
Warranty Codes

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

It's cool Tony. I'm also retired, I retired at 55 and have been retired for seven years and love it. I have 22 planes littering my basement not counting the three that are unbuilt. Not nearly as many as you but still enough to make my wife ask me when I plan to get rid of some of that stuff.:D By the way I lived in Melbourne for 10 years from 1975 to 1985 so I know the area pretty well. I prefer dryer climates these days so we will probably move back to Southern California in the near future while we are still young enough to move.

I do have other hobbies like building cars and target shooting so I suppose if I didn't do those things I would have maybe 50 orders for RC stuff a year. As it is I have so much RC stuff now that if I ordered any more it would be overkill. I do tend to maximize my orders so I usually get everything I will need to completely assemble and cover the plane or planes that I plan to build plus any other stuff I need. One thing I have found from all of these diverse hobbies is that when it comes to customers service Hobby King is the exception. They can take your money in a nano-second but if you have a problem they will take months to return it or not at all, and they just don't care, that is why I can't recommend them to anyone. I'm glad you have had such great service from them but that does very little to inspire the legions of of us who have had terrible service from them.

I was going to start a thread entitled I got great service from Horizon Hobby but then I realized it just wouldn't be the same since everyone gets great service from Horizon.

Come to think of it the fact that someone had to start a thread telling everyone that they didn't get shafted by Hobby King says a lot. Kind of like starting a thread about how you ran across the freeway blindfolded and didn't get run over.:D:rolleyes:

stoneenforcer 01-14-2014 08:00 AM

I too like long walks on the beach and pina colada's. .... you know the song if your retired. ;)

HK isn't as bad as banana but still a hassle if real service is ever needed to resolve a problem. They are way to inconsistent to deserve an inch of credit! So, here we have one customer who did get "credit " after 6 weeks and a couple others with numerous orders but mention nothing of needing real service. I've only got about 20 orders with them and MOST have shipped and arrived just fine. I did receive a bad batch of lipo's once and got screwed by HK. No help at all and I had to eat it! As long as the package gets from A to B and arrives intact and as ordered, PAID FOR ect... then there is NO real testament to service here since all they have to do is box it and put it in the hands of a carrier. Its only when a real issue arises requiring technical customer service ( human brain ) that HK typically fails. Just because one guy praises them for getting a credit, doesn't make up for the other million who haven't.

Im an HK customer, not a troll. I got my latest HK purchase in the mail yesterday, Dynam Dynamic S. Its missing screws and a busted leading edge on a wing half. Do you thing for one second, Im calling HK for and expecting to receive customer service as most any distributor would provide ??? LMAO if you do! If this plane came from tower, horizon or one of the other REPUTABLE distributors in the US, it would be a quick simple call to handle, with a short time frame to resolve. Luckily I have a very nice shop with plenty of extras to fix these small issues.

bogbeagle 01-14-2014 08:20 AM

Lots of people claim that Tower, Horizon, etc are "reputable" ... but, then they go and buy stuff from HobbyKing.

Where is your loyalty to those "reputable" dealers?

If they are so good, I'd have thought that you'd use them exclusively.

Thomas B 01-14-2014 08:32 AM

I have the best part of 100 orders from HK. All delivered on time, complete and without defect...except for one 3 cell 5000 lipo. Two cells arrived at 1.6 and the third was at 5volts. I opened a issue/topic online with their customer service. They asked me to send a photo of the battery with cell voltages shown for each cell. I did so and about two weeks later I was credited the cost of the battery. Ordered a replacement pack with a few other things shortly thereafter and the new battery was perfect.

Your mileage my vary, but I am pretty happy with them.

cloudancer03 01-14-2014 01:21 PM

a miracle something actually went right! But truly those of you getting resolution.wonderful but you are very much the minorty.i spent months trying to get a battery purchase resolved and in the sorry I got screwd. Now just last week I bought a robart meter from horizon and it didnt work.called the next day and immediately sent a new one.resolved in a matter of days.try that with hk no freaking way .nada.your just interested in cheap stuff and dont care who sells it the end.