RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Thread Types and Sizes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11594485-thread-types-sizes.html)

hookedonrc 02-08-2014 03:54 PM

Thread Types and Sizes

Anyone out there know of a site I can go to to learn about sizes and types of threads? I have a tap and die set and want to cut threads on a 4-40 rod. In the set, I have a #4 die and am wondering if this is what I need? And it wouldn't hurt to learn a little of this confusing part of our hobby.

Hawkeye 02-08-2014 07:38 PM

Hooked,
The 4-40 threads on our pushrods are not cut by a die, they are rolled. The difference is that rolled threads start with a smaller diameter rod.
I found this reference that gives a basic primer on reading a thread size, in case you need that info: http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Screw-Thread-Callout

hookedonrc 02-09-2014 06:24 AM

Thanks Hawkeye, that is what I am looking for. The comment you made about the threads being cut rather than rolled is something I heard before. I am trying to put threads on a 4-40 rod for the push pull end of a choke lever. Since it is the end that you grasp, it sounds that the best way to add a small end is to use good epoxy rather than try to create a screw on handle.

Rodney 02-09-2014 10:06 AM

Just Google "thread size tables" and you will get many sources giving you the information you need.

hookedonrc 02-09-2014 11:32 AM

Thanks Rodney, I had already done that. The site with explanations that Hawkeye provided, was the written part I needed to complete what I was looking for.

since this is a choke lever, I have decided, to take a wheel collar, flatten one side to make a better place for the collar screw to sit, and loctite it in place. If I ever need to remove the rod, this will make it easier.

RCKen 02-09-2014 02:07 PM

Hooked,
I've always used pre-threaded rods from Dubro for my choke rods. As the others have said, threading your own rods is almost impossible because the rods you get are have the threads pressed into them.

We still need to get together and fly sometime. Didn't you have a Hog Bipe at one time. Do you still have it?? what are you working on flying now??? maybe you can come down and fly with us here in Lawton, or I can come up and fly with you in Tulsa. Do you fly with the Glue Dobbers??? I covered their Warbird event the year before last. Was a pretty good event and enjoyed being up there, was a really good group of guys there.

Ken

hookedonrc 02-09-2014 02:58 PM

Hey Ken yeah, I tried the fully threaded rod. Problem was that I didn't get the exit hole in the fuse side lined up real well. The threads were dragging heavily so I replaced it with a smooth rod with threads on only one end. That end Is on the ball link end, so I need something I can remove if I ever have to remove it.
And, yes, I had the hog bipe and it was about that time I lost all interest in flying. Mostly due to health issues at that time. I sold all of my stuff and we took up sailing. I came back last year after 5 yrs away and started building up my plane count again. I have several Parkflyers, an Escapade which is my only glow fueled one left. I am working on a Pulse 125 with a DLE20, and still in the box an Aeroworks Cessna 195.
We do need to get together to fly, maybe sometime this Summer. I do not fly at Gluedobbers and am a member of American Turf Flyers, but I do like to attend some of the Dobbers events as well as T.R.A.M.P.s at Muskogee.

RCKen 02-09-2014 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by hookedonrc (Post 11732778)
Hey Ken yeah, I tried the fully threaded rod. Problem was that I didn't get the exit hole in the fuse side lined up real well. The threads were dragging heavily so I replaced it with a smooth rod with threads on only one end. That end Is on the ball link end, so I need something I can remove if I ever have to remove it.
And, yes, I had the hog bipe and it was about that time I lost all interest in flying. Mostly due to health issues at that time. I sold all of my stuff and we took up sailing. I came back last year after 5 yrs away and started building up my plane count again. I have several Parkflyers, an Escapade which is my only glow fueled one left. I am working on a Pulse 125 with a DLE20, and still in the box an Aeroworks Cessna 195.
We do need to get together to fly, maybe sometime this Summer. I do not fly at Gluedobbers and am a member of American Turf Flyers, but I do like to attend some of the Dobbers events as well as T.R.A.M.P.s at Muskogee.

We'll see what we can do this summer and get together and get some flying done!!!!!!

Ken