RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   old timers look here must be 50+ years only (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only.html)

Telemaster Sales UK 08-13-2017 10:51 PM

Agreed Pope, it was the most un-ready Almost Ready To Fly model I've ever assembled! I had to replace the undercarriage, engine mount and wheels with something of better quality but with an Irvine 46 up front it was quite aerobatic and throttled back I could use it as a trainer. Must stop prevaricating and get off to work on the new house.

donnyman 08-14-2017 07:00 AM

Well at least some of us are putting in some air time, between the heat and honeydo's I haven't accomplished much, the heat will be above 100 F another week or so say's the weatherman

Hey joe I had the oppurtunity some twenty years ago to purchase a cub for under 3500 bucks but I wanted to fly it before the purchase, so with the cash in my pocket I commence to climb aboard, It was not to be, no way I could force my frame into the bird. shocked and disappointed I thought I was some sort of freak. my primary concern turned to fear as I thought of getting out of that thing if something went wrong.

Was going to purchase a D-18 for 11,000 until I found out the wing spar had a major modification requirement. Owning a full scale plane never worked out for me though I tried many times, something always went wrong.:confused:

Joe Fisher 08-14-2017 07:37 AM

Hi Donny, I had the 5 lower vertebra fused in 2010 and I just don't bend like i did. When I taught students I would joke, when you can get in the airplane gracefully you are ready to solo. For me it has always been a 1 hour at a time airplane. I like to do take off's and landings,I do that with R/C too.

ETpilot 08-15-2017 03:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=donnyman; the heat will be above 100 F another week or so say's the weatherman
:[/QUOTE]

Yep, it is hot in Texas. I can attest to that. I was out splitting firewood yesterday. Way behind on splitting wood. It was brutal. I've made up my mind I'm going to weld up a portable sun shield this winter. I have the design in my head. I'll have 3 uses for it; mainly keep it by the RC runway I have, tow it to my firewood splitting area when needed and tow it wherever if I have an equipment breakdown and have to make repairs in the field. 10x10x10. Always good to work in the shade.

FlyerInOKC 08-15-2017 05:13 AM

We have temperatures predicted for in the low to mid 90s with the humidity being higher than the temperature. You could tell how bad the humidity is this morning windows and structures bathed in moister like it had rained but there was no rain last night.

donnyman 08-15-2017 12:36 PM

Well JOE at least you have a legitimate reason for a tight fit, I am just too big! I concur with the t.offs and landings, I used to wait for cross wind days to fly just for the added excitement.

ETpilot
Cutting firewood in this weather? just don't seem right. I have a tubular steel shelter I'll let you have, it could provide shade but you gotta come and get it before the junkman. it brakes down real easy.

beepee 08-15-2017 12:47 PM

Yeah Donny, feelin' the heat here in Houston too. I did get some airtime today though. Sometimes you just have to say enough-is-enough and go flying despite the heat.

I know Manor, even know how to pronounce it. Learned that after my daughter and son-in-law bought a house there. Had it wrong for years driving through while my kids went to UT.

Drink plenty of water out there!

Bedford

donnyman 08-15-2017 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by beepee (Post 12360391)
Yeah Donny, feelin' the heat here in Houston too. I did get some airtime today though. Sometimes you just have to say enough-is-enough and go flying despite the heat.

I know Manor, even know how to pronounce it. Learned that after my daughter and son-in-law bought a house there. Had it wrong for years driving through while my kids went to UT.

Drink plenty of water out there!

Bedford

I would like to put my bird in the air but between the heat and trying to undestand what the heck my new radio is doing I just ain't makin it.
Manor is under going fast changes the growth here is scary, if you haven't been here in a while you will be surprised at the changes, I live here and can't believe it.

I used to work with a fellow named Bedford I am sure it's not you he has past away but you may have been related.
gotta get back to the garage my car window is acting the fool. it's 98 degrees, in there right now.

donnyman 08-15-2017 03:45 PM

The temperature exceed 100 degrees before I left the garage at 5 pm. over 35 days of 100+ degree weather.

My car window failed because they used some sort of plastic gumballs in the motor gearing and they all failed. the motor looked just like the ones used in the steps of my motor home (they failed too)

ETpilot 08-16-2017 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=donnyman;

ETpilot
Cutting firewood in this weather? just don't seem right. I have a tubular steel shelter I'll let you have, it could provide shade but you gotta come and get it before the junkman. it brakes down real easy.[/QUOTE]

I agree, working firewood in this heat is insane. I work out in this weather just about everyday. I've acclimated to Texas weather. But it is getting harder as I get older. Thanks for the offer on the steel shelter. You are a bit far away. Plus I think a welded frame is better suited for what I have in mind. Thanks anyway.

FlyerInOKC 08-16-2017 05:35 AM

I got lucky this weekend when I went to Kansas to help my son work on his house. The humidity was up by the temperature was only in the 80s. I still sweated like a storm-trooper hanging guttering all day and putting up drywall in a small stuffy upstairs room. It's a typical 1910 farm house, not a level floor or a plum and square wall in the whole place! I developed a whole new hatred for partially gabled walls in bedrooms. My daughter in-law helped she is becoming quite the Do It Yourslefer, far better than my son. She has been watching This Old House too for pointers.

Telemaster Sales UK 08-16-2017 08:45 AM

While you're sweating in the Texan heat just remember that Australia, winter is coming to an end. Where is The Pope when you need him?

the pope 08-16-2017 12:59 PM

Right here tele freezing his nuts off . Temps in the 16* C range and rain . Still we can fly all year round so getting rained out now and again is no biggie . I might do some modeling today like I have been going to do for ages . I just got a 50cc wot 4 and a 360 laser twin is in the mail .Then again the TV looks good . Been watching the " the walking dead " series again . I can't get enough of that show . This will make it 13 times I've watched it .How tragic is that ? Also got " fear the walking dead " which isn't as good but what can u do . l love a good horror or scfi film . The latest alien film was pretty good . Went to the picture's with the daughter last night . Saw " atomic blonde " . Best movie I've seen for ages . Cheers

FlyerInOKC 08-16-2017 01:12 PM

I remember when I was a kid and saw Hitchcock's The Birds the first time, scared the carp out me. I was so disappointed when I saw it again a few years back. Now the only thing scaring me is elections.

the pope 08-16-2017 01:28 PM

Remember "the blob" ? I saw that when I was too young . I use to lie awake looking at the air vents in the wall just to be safe ! I know what u mean about old movies being duds years later . I think it was " cabin fever " I watched that scared the crap out of me but it was laughable years later . The remake I liked . Cheers

FlyerInOKC 08-17-2017 07:30 AM

Did you ever see Allan Quarterman aka 9 Millions Years to Earth? That was a good one!

ETpilot 08-17-2017 01:54 PM

I had to make a trip to the dump today. Rain was coming so I wanted to get going fast. I went outside and this wind front hit me. It dropped the temperature down to 75 degrees almost immediately. It felt so good. A sign that winter is getting closer. Temperature slowly went up into the mid eighties with lower humidity. Some rain throughout the day.

It was a feel good day. But it is Love Bug season. The front end of my new RAV4 was coated. I spent the afternoon getting those nasty bugs off the car. Some spots I had to clean 4 times. I made a scarf cut on some weed eater line to get the bugs out of really tight spots. So RAV4 is on Restriction to the garage for a while. I will use my Jeep Grand Cherokee, airplane transporter, for trips that come up, or my farm truck. Nasty bugs.

I had planned to run in a new OS 55AX today but ran out of time. Maybe I can do it tomorrow.

acdii 08-17-2017 03:37 PM

I have been wanting to get a YS 63 running but the Skeeters are so bad that just walking from the house to the mailbox and you get swarmed. Rain up here has been horrible! I still have not been able to fix the water line to the barn, it is still under water.

the pope 08-17-2017 09:04 PM

Just to rub it in and brag some . My 1st package of the laser 360 twin arrived . That thing looks a beast . Even the prop hub scares me a little bit . It comes in 2 packages with the mufflers engine mount yet to arrive . Cheaper to ship that way . Im glad the engine came 1st otherwise I would be like a mad dog with a bone waiting for the postman . He would come to fear me worse than a pit bull ! Now excuse me while I go rub it against my unmentionables .

Telemaster Sales UK 08-17-2017 09:47 PM

I was given a partly-built 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel some years ago. It's on the bottom of my build list but if I ever get round to flying it a Laser 360 will certainly be my engine of choice. Who knows, they may even have a petrol version by then. What are you going to put it into Pope?

the pope 08-17-2017 10:44 PM

Hi there Tele , I knew u wouldnt be able to help yourself when I mentioned the laser .
In the laser thread I mentioned that short term It will most likely go in a 50cc wot4 . Later on and maybe a lot of wishful thinking a ford fliver 1/2 scale . Off hand I think its 130 inches . I have the plan for the 1/3 scale one . I have emailed the plan man about doing a 2piece wing and if the bigger plan one had it and he said no and that the 1/3 version is just scaled up version of the 1/2 scale one ( which I thought might be the case ) . So I will get that plan enlarged locally and do my own wing mod. BUT dont hold your brath . I just wish to fly one twin on anything before the grim reaper comes a knockin . Imagine that twin on a ugly stik . Now that would be the ducks guts . Its really too nice to cover up in a cowl so even if its on the wot4 I most likely will leave the cowl off . I like the engines on show in my planes . I like engines more than the planes .

acdii 08-18-2017 05:27 AM

I have a Gemini 120, so I know what you mean. It was on a 10-300 Ultimate bipe, but the throttle screw loosened and it went down after throttling back after takeoff. Carb completely closed.

FlyerInOKC 08-18-2017 06:08 AM

Did the Bipe survive the loss of power and land OK?

acdii 08-18-2017 06:50 AM

Flew like a brick, right into the ground. It had a strong tail wind so it basically had zero lift at that point. Had it quit while into the wind I might have been able to float it in, but with the wind right on its tail, it just dropped like a rock. Crunch was there, don't know if he saw it though.

FlyerInOKC 08-18-2017 07:21 AM

OUCH! My mine complaint about this hobby is I acquire projects faster than I can build them. In the past year I have picked up two kits and one set of plans and a short kit. Meanwhile I'm on the same two projects I was building last year. I wish I could retire and spend my time building and flying my airplanes!