RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Glow engines that dangerous..?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11639884-glow-engines-dangerous.html)

canardlover 06-24-2017 03:00 AM

Glow engines that dangerous..??

2 Attachment(s)
Howdy, last time I flew to Brazil I had to confirm that I was NOT bringing any glow engine in my luggage. I wonder what rationale makes glow engines to become included in that list of dangerous items..??? I have bought quite a few model engines overseas before and carried them in my luggage but those days are apparently over..Wonder why..??

do335a 06-24-2017 08:37 AM

Who prohibited the glow engines?

Is this going into Brazil or into your home country?

According to that list, perfectly OK to take matches, lighters and other devices which can set the plane on fire into the cabin on your person.

Who dreams up this stuff?

tony0707 06-24-2017 05:00 PM

I would think the fuel with nito might be of more concern than the engine by themselves
Not sure what damage the engine on its own could possibly do

​​​​​​​enjoy

fourstar40 06-24-2017 06:32 PM

Has anyone ever thrown a glow engine you? I have and I'm telling you it hurts like hell!

canardlover 06-25-2017 12:19 PM

Going from Sweden to Brazil.

TomCrump 06-26-2017 03:15 AM

On two separate visits, I have given a Brazilian friend engines to take back to Brazil. He hasn't mentioned any difficulty with getting them into the country.

jollyroger 06-27-2017 06:40 AM

I had no idea that glow engines were classified in the same group as hand grenades! My my. All you glow flyers are dangerous terrorist threats! LOL!
Turn yourselves in immediately to the DHS ! Next stop Gitmo! LOL!
I have consulted the Book of Armaments and there is nothing written about glow engines. There are however, instructions for the Holy Hand Grenade.

do335a 06-27-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jollyroger (Post 12347868)
Turn yourselves in immediately to the DHS ! Next stop Gitmo! LOL!

No, no. You misunderstand.

In answering my question OP said this applies to entering Brazil.

Has nothing to do with Gitmo or your USA DHS.

H5606 06-29-2017 04:29 PM

What is the verdict here?

A recent trip overseas with Lufthansa had a similar list of forbidden items and the O.S. engine picture caught my attention - is it only O.S. engines or all glow engines or anything glow engine related? What if you removed the glow plug? What about four-strokes?

Let's say you wanted to bring a .30-size model helicopter equipped with a glow engine aboard an airline flight to Europe - could it be done? Assembled or unassembled? Could you bring the same heli without the engine? What about an airplane, car, or boat equipped with a similar engine? What about a turbine? How about a DLE 30? How do modeler's participating in world competitions overseas do it?

Just as a matter of course, sometime earlier this century, I was exiting past an airport security area on my way back from a trip and did a "double-take" while passing an x-ray monitor when... something caught my attention! There were few people around and I stopped momentarily to glance at what I thought was a negative/x-ray image of a high-performance model engine and tuned pipe. I couldn't stay long enough to gawk and process the image before a TSA officer came running up and yelled at me to "KEEP MOVING SIR!"

Jeez, what's the big deal about transporting model engines?

thailazer 07-17-2017 01:26 PM

Gee, my Tartan Twin went through with no problems! Glad I had not seen this article before.

proptop 07-17-2017 05:45 PM

A friend and I were discussing this, and he mentioned something about traces of Nitro Methane, or residual elements of the fuel perhaps triggering a "sniffer" that might confuse that with a type of explosive???

IIRC Nitric acid is one residue of glow fuel, after it has been run through an engine...and I think Formaldehyde is a by product of the Methanol?

I wonder if a Glow ("Nitro") engine that has never been run would set off any warning alarms?

canardlover 07-24-2017 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by proptop (Post 12352820)
A friend and I were discussing this, and he mentioned something about traces of Nitro Methane, or residual elements of the fuel perhaps triggering a "sniffer" that might confuse that with a type of explosive???

IIRC Nitric acid is one residue of glow fuel, after it has been run through an engine...and I think Formaldehyde is a by product of the Methanol?

I wonder if a Glow ("Nitro") engine that has never been run would set off any warning alarms?

Thanks proptop, that explanation does make sense...! So we must now clean our engines and wrap them carefully in plastic bags to avoid the "sniffer" detecting them.

Sport_Pilot 07-24-2017 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by proptop (Post 12352820)

OK but horseshoes are also not allowed. What's with that? Or maybe that is a magnet? BTW a sophisticated gas engine can look just like a glow engine. Are they allowed? And what is the problem with recorders? Has people been irritating the passengers by playing them? So why are flutes allowed but not recorders?

proptop 07-25-2017 09:16 AM

They might be talking about tape, or other forms of voice or video recorders...same with lap top computers...
New forms of plastic explosives that can be molded / shaped into various forms / disguises, which might include components of familiar electronic devices?

I ain't no TSA expert here S-P...just going from what I've seen on "the news"...but my friend just sort of said something about residual elements of combusted glow fuel,
and that made me go hmmm...

warningshot 07-25-2017 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12354531)
OK but horseshoes are also not allowed. What's with that? Or maybe that is a magnet? BTW a sophisticated gas engine can look just like a glow engine. Are they allowed? And what is the problem with recorders? Has people been irritating the passengers by playing them? So why are flutes allowed but not recorders?

Where do you get that "recorders" are not allowed?

Sport_Pilot 07-26-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by warningshot (Post 12354905)
Where do you get that "recorders" are not allowed?

They have a pic of a recorder. Actually I see they are allowed if on your person. I don't understand that at all.

Sport_Pilot 07-26-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by proptop (Post 12354808)
They might be talking about tape, or other forms of voice or video recorders...same with lap top computers...
New forms of plastic explosives that can be molded / shaped into various forms / disguises, which might include components of familiar electronic devices?

I ain't no TSA expert here S-P...just going from what I've seen on "the news"...but my friend just sort of said something about residual elements of combusted glow fuel,

No they have a pic of a musical recorder. Sort of like a wooden flute.

Sport_Pilot 07-26-2017 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by proptop (Post 12354808)

Not enough fumes to matter. Are gas engines not allowed? The fumes from gas engines would be more dangerous. Bet someone is getting nitro methane confused with nitro glycerin. Or they assume the fumes are more dangerous because they see that AA nitro funny cars and dragsters use it. But nitro is actually much less flammable than gasoline. It only makes more power because you can run it extremely rich. There is some danger transporting a can of liquid fuel because it can explode when instantly compressed but would only happen in a bad crash. But the left over fuels are relatively harmless.

proptop 07-26-2017 09:57 AM

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-004

proptop 07-26-2017 10:07 AM

Have a look at the link above...and imagine what a Racing Slot car controller looks like to some bored TSA person at the Airport...someone who has to screen hundreds, or thousands of people every day...from what I have seen they are hardly "experts" ...?

From what little I do know, as far as "Sniffers" are concerned (working in the Aircraft Painting Industry) they can be extremely sensitive...as in PPM (Parts Per Million) and I am fairly certain that most TSA people are not experts in all things nitro methane related as you are S-P... :) If the sniffer beeps, you get pulled out of the line.
I wouldn't worry so much about "Recorders" Sport...they probably won't discover yours unless they do a cavity search... ;) JK

warningshot 07-26-2017 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12355072)
They have a pic of a recorder. Actually I see they are allowed if on your person. I don't understand that at all.

That is a picture of an E-Cig.
This is how mis info gets started.

H5606 07-29-2017 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by thailazer (Post 12352752)
Gee, my Tartan Twin went through with no problems! Glad I had not seen this article before.

But isn't the Tartan Twin a gasoline/ignition engine? It certainly doesn't look anything like an O.S. two stroke 'FX series' or any other O.S. single for that matter.

The drawing in the list of dangerous goods sure does look like an O.S. glow engine to me - and it is the FX series to be specific. Does that mean that only O.S. Max 'FX series' engines are forbidden?

Sure does look that way to me - characteristic square head and same three-quarter view drawing typical of O.S. brand drawings in the owner's manuals; take a look at the pics below and compare to image in list of dangerous goods...

Last image is of Tartan twin for contrast.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.y...90&o=4&pid=1.7https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.7...90&o=4&pid=1.7http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...1&d=1498301952https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.p...90&o=4&pid=1.7

TomCrump 07-29-2017 03:17 PM

As I said before. My Brazilian friend has brought back two glow engines, that I gave him. The tartan twin comment reminded my that I gave him a US 41, too.

My friend mentioned no difficulty in getting any of these engines in to Brazil.