RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Sullivan Dynatron problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11669861-sullivan-dynatron-problems.html)

rllpilot 09-20-2019 01:48 PM

Sullivan Dynatron problems

I have a dynatron starter that has worked in the past but today when I tried to use it there was no results. I have it set up as a 24v series unit. When I reattached the starter to one batt. it turned over ok. I checked both Batt. All ok. but when I put the batt. in series and hook up the starter it will not work. Is there something I'm not considering? I was hoping to have it ready for Tomorrow but it doesn't look like it will happen. Your thoughts are appreciated. Needless to day, I've also ordered a new unit.

init4fun 09-20-2019 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by rllpilot (Post 12551589)
I have a dynatron starter that has worked in the past but today when I tried to use it there was no results. I have it set up as a 24v series unit. When I reattached the starter to one batt. it turned over ok. I checked both Batt. All ok. but when I put the batt. in series and hook up the starter it will not work. Is there something I'm not considering? I was hoping to have it ready for Tomorrow but it doesn't look like it will happen. Your thoughts are appreciated. Needless to day, I've also ordered a new unit.

;) I know this sounds simplistic , but , since you said when hooked up to one battery it works , I gotta ask ; Are you 101 % certain the batteries are hooked up in series properly ? As in , the + of one battery is hooked up to the - of the other , leaving you with one + and one - on each battery to hook the starter to ?

I have no other guesses to resolve the situation you describe .....

ETpilot 09-21-2019 01:23 AM

As init4fun says check the wiring connections to make sure they are correct. After batteries are connected but not attached to the starter do a voltage test to make sure you are getting 24 volts. Finally, do a load test on the batteries to make sure they are good. A battery may read good voltage during a test but fail when under a load.

tedsander 09-24-2019 06:20 AM

As others noted, most likely a battery problem, since it works with one. Does it work with the other?
Note that, at lease with some older models, the pressure switch can fail - it's just two pieces of sheet metal held apart by foam rubber. Squeeze and they make contact. It is easy to take it apart to inspect. Not your issue, but there was a frequent problem in at least early models, that the 24v would actually weld the plates together, resulting in "always on". Perhaps yours has the opposite - damage to the plates resulting in poor contact. But I'd suspect the battery first.....

rllpilot 09-24-2019 09:17 AM

Response to dynatron problem

Originally Posted by tedsander (Post 12552322)
As others noted, most likely a battery problem, since it works with one. Does it work with the other?
Note that, at lease with some older models, the pressure switch can fail - it's just two pieces of sheet metal held apart by foam rubber. Squeeze and they make contact. It is easy to take it apart to inspect. Not your issue, but there was a frequent problem in at least early models, that the 24v would actually weld the plates together, resulting in "always on". Perhaps yours has the opposite - damage to the plates resulting in poor contact. But I'd suspect the battery first.....

Thanks all for the suggestions. I suspicion it is the batt. Will try two new ones. Also, I did have trouble with the switch at first. But it works fine in 12v mode for either batt. But when I put a meter on them in series, ( YES I checked the wiring several times.) the meter shows 22.8 v. Thanks again for your help.