RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   New to RC world... where do I start? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11670647-new-rc-world-where-do-i-start.html)

JReagle79 10-10-2019 08:40 AM

New to RC world... where do I start?

So I recently just discovered the world of RC and I want in. I am looking for a place to start. I want to build one myself (based on my background in electronics) and just don't don't know where to start... I don't wanna drop the money on a kit.... I would like to start a project vehicle. Is this realistic or should I just go with a kit? Looking for advise... Thanks

donnyman 10-10-2019 08:54 AM

Go with a small kit to get familiar with the situation then decide. A trip to your local model field (if one is available) can save you a lot of grief.

JReagle79 10-10-2019 10:28 AM

Thanks, I found a few hobby shops near by I can check out.

fliers1 10-10-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JReagle79 (Post 12555763)
So I recently just discovered the world of RC and I want in. I am looking for a place to start. I want to build one myself (based on my background in electronics) and just don't don't know where to start... I don't wanna drop the money on a kit.... I would like to start a project vehicle. Is this realistic or should I just go with a kit? Looking for advise... Thanks

You are talking about RC airplanes aren't you?

jester_s1 10-11-2019 03:51 AM

What do you actually want to do?
If it's airplanes, the cheapest way is to start with a foam ready to fly airplane and get some skills before moving forward.
If it's cars, factory built or commercial kits (like from Team Associated) are pretty standard.
If it's robots, there is a huge tinkering community with building information and projects to do.

JReagle79 10-12-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JReagle79 (Post 12555763)

Originally Posted by fliers1 (Post 12555803)
You are talking about RC airplanes aren't you?

No cars actually. I wasn't specific. My fault.

JReagle79 10-12-2019 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jester_s1 (Post 12555929)
What do you actually want to do?
If it's airplanes, the cheapest way is to start with a foam ready to fly airplane and get some skills before moving forward.
If it's cars, factory built or commercial kits (like from Team Associated) are pretty standard.
If it's robots, there is a huge tinkering community with building information and projects to do.

I am into cars/trucks. I think I'm going to get a Traxxas Rustler electric (1/10) and then modify it. I would like to get into racing. We'll see.

AllModesR/C 10-12-2019 12:40 PM

Welcome to the RC hobby.

jester_s1 10-13-2019 05:08 AM

The Rustler is a great place to start. But there aren't many race leagues for stadium trucks anymore. Of course, everybody needs a durable basher, and a Rustler is hard to beat for that.
When you feel that you have some driving skills and are ready to start racing, go to the local track and see what others are running. That lets you get into equipment that more experienced drivers can help you with.