RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Paved Runway Cost (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/195669-paved-runway-cost.html)

mulligan 07-14-2002 09:16 PM

Paved Runway Cost

Our club will soon consider a paved runway.

Looking for some feedback on typical costs paid for actual runway paving costs (not including permits, engineering, etc.)

A square footage number would be great, but actual cost/runway size case point data would also be great.

FYI, our contemplated runway would be about 400' x 50'

Thanks,
George

BingoFlyer 07-14-2002 10:38 PM

Paved Runway Cost

mulligan,

Contact the Ocala Flying Model Club in Ocala, FL they just installed a asphalt runway and would have cost. They lost their old field and moved to the new field last fall (official opening was this spring) I think it is one of the best sites in FL. I'm in Michigan now or I would have a contact person for you but the AMA can help you.

Shangri-La 07-14-2002 11:52 PM

Paved Runway Cost

Mulligan,
What is the name of your club, and where is it located? I fly at RCACF in Apopka. We have a paved runway. I will check with the board as to what the costs were.

YNOT 07-15-2002 12:10 AM

Runway

We installed a 350X30 and the cost was $17,000. We already had paved taxiways to our old tarpaper runway.

We were quoted up to $30,000.00. We shopped around and found a guy who liked airplanes and he is who we worked the deal with.

The best investment we have made in the club. We did take out a loan for the runway. One of the club members loaned the money to the club, that worked out well.

ramcharger 07-15-2002 12:49 PM

Paved Runway Cost

A 600 ft by 45 ft asphalt runway with approaches and a good size pit area cost $25,000 in 2001.

MAJSteve 07-15-2002 01:16 PM

Paved Runway Cost

Our club put in a field. We rough graded it ourselves and the contractor did the final grading (and did a great job). Our strip is 70 x 600 and has two 100x10 ft taxiways included in the price.

We got ours for $.85 a sq ft, and this was the lowest bid. The next bid was $1.10 a sq ft. Concrete was $1.30 a sq.ft.

We added a 30 x 216 concrete slab for a pit area with a separate contractor and that cost us $8,000.

mulligan 07-15-2002 01:57 PM

Paved Runway Cost

Thanks for the info, guys. Morris, I'll find the number for Ocala- thanks.

Shangri-La, I am with Sanford Aero Modelers (SAM) on SR46- about a 115 members, very large, open grass field. PM me if you want further details.

Anyone heard of some kind of alternative material- I've heard (very little) about kevlar carpet or conveyor material. What material is this exactly and what company makes it?

- George

TopShelf 07-15-2002 03:27 PM

Paved Runway Cost

George,

I am aware of two different alternative materials. One is called Petro-Mat which I believe is the material used under roadways. If you look at road contruction sites, you will see it laying around. I think if you go to the AMA district 8 web site you can get more information.

The other is conveyor belt material which is what our club has. Our stuff came from a paper mill and is called dryer belt. I believe we got ours for free from either a mill that was closing or their cast offs. It is about 20 feet wide and what we have is of varying lengths so we have kind of a patch work arrangement. Works pretty well and requires little maintenance.