RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   What Airbrush to Buy? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/204107-what-airbrush-buy.html)

fr8dog 07-22-2002 05:43 PM

What Airbrush to Buy?

Ok I am going to need something to paint my Curtis Robin with and need something to paint my future airplanes with. I was told to go with an airbrush instead of an automotive spray system because of all the overspray with the automotive system and I would have little overspray with an airbrush. I have a good small airbrush compresser with automatic shutoff and all that good stuff. I was told that the Paasche Airbrushes are better then the Badger. When I look at the Paasche website there are so many different models, how do I know what one to get? Which one would you recomend, and I am open to other brands too. All my airplanes are in the 90"+ range and I would like something that is going to last a while and work good and don't really mind spending a good amount on a brush. Thanks everyone.

Tired Old Man 07-22-2002 10:57 PM

What Airbrush to Buy?

fr8dog:

I've have had several airbrushes, including both the Badger and the Paasche. Go with the middle of the road, dual action Paasche. If you keep it clean, it will last forever. Try to get a regular compressor that has a good regulator that you can use with your airbrush. The compressors made specifically for airbrushes aren't worth a hoot. they leak and run very hot.

If the air fittings included with the regulator are too large for use on the airbrush hose, go to an automotive paint store for the correct size fittings. .

Think about getting an automotive detail gun as well. Gravity feed is better than suction feed if you have the choice. The detail gun will cover very large areas comparative to the airbrush. The overspray loss when you are shooting large areas at relatively low pressures is not that big a deal. It's also really nice when the next line you are shooting is still wet, rather than dry as is common when using an airbrush on large areas. This eliminates a lot of flashing when you are using lacquers and enamels.

Silversurfer

RCPilot100 07-22-2002 11:01 PM

What Airbrush to Buy?

For what you are talking about painting, no matter what Paasche you buy, it will take months to spray paint something the size you are talking about. So, to clear a few things up....

There are basically two types of spray painting - the stuff you refer to as the automotive stuff with all types of overspray, and HVLP systems with minimal overspray. I would personally like a good HVLP system, but financial priorities don't allow for it now.

On to the automotive stuff - I have sprayed a 1/3 Spacewalker and Laser with a Badger 400 detail gun. It has an 8 oz paint cup, I use a small 1 hp air compressor with 7.5 gallon tank, and can paint all day with it - as long as I keep refilling the cup. I have several tips and needles for medium to heavy paint.

On the airbrush side, I use a Passche dual action setup - @ $70.00 for it. I use this for stuff like wheel pants, small parts and such.

You can check out http://www.dixieart.com/ for all kinds of info on airbrushing. I sent out for one of their videos and other stuff and was really impressed with what can be done.

Now, I gotta ask a question - even though I do paint some of mine - why? It is a pain in the butt. To match monokote, I buy automotive paints - high prices - and spend too much time making the stuff look good. As much as I can, I try to get away from painting because of the hassle. On the other hand, I am in the process of finishing off my spray booth in the basement. Not too smart, but this is the kind of hassle you get into if you want to really do it up right.

Dan

fr8dog 07-23-2002 12:27 AM

What Airbrush to Buy?

The reason I am painting the current airplane I am on is because I am covering it with the scale s**** fabric, and in the future I am planning on building large scale warbirds and other true to scale airplanes and I think the paint looks more scale then monocote. I also personally like building better then flying.

RCPilot100 07-23-2002 01:33 AM

What Airbrush to Buy?

I like the building also, it is just that painting takes quite a bit of work to do it up right. I am building the spray booth so I can paint any time I need to and not have to wait for good weather outside. Plus, it really gets annoying to lay down a mirror like finish and have a bug land in the paint. Good luck.

Dan

DavidAgar 07-23-2002 11:58 AM

What Airbrush to Buy?

I have an automotive touch up gun that I use for the big stuff. You do get over spray but you can shoot a wing in no time. I have never used any other air brushes than Badger. I have the 450 model that has the 3 different tips that I use for detailing and camo schemes. The one thing that has not been mentioned that I believe is important is to have a moisture trap installed on your air line. I use carbon dixide as my propellant, so I have no noise when I paint and with a 15 lb tank I can paint forever. Good Luck, Dave.

SDCrashmaster 07-23-2002 03:27 PM

What Airbrush to Buy?

I have a touch up gun for general coverage. I have 3 Paashe's. An H-1 that I have had for 25 years that's used all the time...a V-1 dual action that I've had for 15 years that I never use...and an AB 1 that is used for ultra-fine work.
As an illustrator, I recommend Paashe exclusively. Seen the rest? Go get the best. Plus their manu'd in the good ol'...yeah you guessed it!

RetUSAF 07-25-2002 09:28 PM

What Airbrush to Buy?

I second using DixieArt as a souce of airbrushes. Great prices and prompt shipping.

:) I'm now using an Iwata Eclipse, and like it much better than my old Paasche VL (that my son managed to run off with!!). The Eclipse just seems easier to use, adjust and clean. The spray pattern is just "there"....I agree with others above tho, use the airbrush for small areas and detail work.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug