RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   How Do You Feel About Training When You Want To Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/209270-how-do-you-feel-about-training-when-you-want-fly.html)

Cyclic Hardover 07-27-2002 02:21 AM

How Do You Feel About Training When You Want To Fly

This always sparks debate. Most of you guys criticize me for not help the new guy. I help, I give parts, I fix, I run to save planes when they start yelling. I just don't train. Now things may be different at your "private field" and your own club members. Ours is a very nice big city owned field. Most new guys get training from the store they bought from but sometimes instructors to not show and such.
* Training day is Saturdays, most new guys go with this. Some don't. I got into this hobby for my own gratification, fun, relaxing away from the house bonding thing. A few weeks ago I brought out a buddy box for my friend to use in training this guy. Next thing i know, my friend said i would be happy to help if he is not their and on a Sunday to boot.
*I am now skipping Sundays for a while. Trainers and Trainees always have problems. We all went through it and if I let myself get sucked in, I would spend all damn day on everyones plane but my own! When I was trained, I played the game, showed up when i was suppose to with stuff ready to go.
* Our local store tells each buyer, bring the plane back for us to check befor you fly. Do they? Heck no, It is much better to bring out the entire mess to the field and con somebody into wasting a couple hours on it.
I'm sorry but the majority of people who come out for training are in dire need of class in "ethics."

Elwood 07-27-2002 11:27 AM

Who trained you? Oh, and if there was never any training, would you have a field to fly at? I doubt it.

DavidAgar 07-27-2002 01:35 PM

Training

I have been into RC for well over 30 years with the last 15 or so years as an instructor. I love being an instructor for a matrix of reasons. The first being that I am able to meet new folks and become friends with them. Being an instructor also allows me the chance to fly different planes with different radios as well. I think the biggest thrill I can get out of being an instructor is watching my student progress. As for helping out my students with their planes and radios and loaning them nuts and bolts and what not's, I do that for any one at the field any way and the group that I fly with will do the same for me. It just seems to be a part of the comradiory at the field. I am a self taught RC flyer and back when I started, I would have gone miles to find myself an instructor, cause I broke many planes learning. Maybe that is why I enjoy instructing so much.

MAJSteve 07-27-2002 07:43 PM

I help set up beginners at the field a lot. Most of the time they're not ready to fly them the first time, but after they're fixed, I give my opinion as to whether they're airworthy. If they're not and the beginner wants to fly anyway, I have someone else come over and check them out. Sometimes a 2nd opinion is enough to convince them.

If one of the senior flyers I trust is around, I have them do the first flight. If not, I'll do it myself. I have the senior flyers check out my planes on their first flights too. Then after the plane is trimmed, I'll let the student fly it on a buddy cord.

Do I instruct? I have and I enjoy it, but I always make sure its one flight for me, then one flight for them, then one for me etc.

Cyclic Hardover 07-27-2002 09:08 PM

There is also a self proclaimed instructor. He is a fair pilot but has managed to crash and burn every decent plane he's had right up to several 120 size to include the new Hangar 9 Edge 540. He has no discipline himself. He does not believe in a pattern. He just goes where he pleases and students learn all of his bad habits.
There was a guy today running his engine right behind the pilot boxes. We have a designated run up area for problem or breaking in engines. We finally told him to go use it. He honestly did not think that running the engine for 20 minutes was prolonged engine running.

RCPilot100 07-27-2002 10:50 PM

I have been instructing newbies for 15+ years - they do take time that I could be flying myself, but then I think about when I am flying with some of the big names you read about and how they take their time to teach me things, I figure it all evens out. And, for the most part, you generally get to meet some real nice people that you never would have - but like everything else, you do run into the occasional jerk. You have to take the good with the bad.

Dan

Mike Bell 07-29-2002 08:32 PM

I believe everyone at our field will help. Some with parts and suggestions and others with the training process.
As far as training goes, I have trained a few and loved it but the next one has to make a promise to stay involved with the sport after a solo.
The last 5 I have spent my time, some of my stuff and in several cases my fuel on have vanished shortly after soloing :mad:.
Kinda feels like a waste!
Mike