RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Has RCM folded? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/3130359-has-rcm-folded.html)

tailskid 09-05-2005 03:54 PM

RE: Has RCM folded?

The "Owner", if I remember correctly was not Dick Kidd (who died about a year ago) but Don Dewey, who pass on a couple of years ago. But maybe the rumor has some merit, maybe not.....we may never know!

Jerry

N1EDM 09-05-2005 04:04 PM

Didn't that other magazine have something to do with home aquariums? Not sure if that's true or not.

Bob

Red Scholefield 09-05-2005 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I heard a rumor at my LHS, again this is a RUMOR I have no way to substantiate it:

One of the the guys at the LHS said that the owner of RCM died last fall. He said that he owned two magazines, and the other had been sold. The theory had to do with settling the estate...the old Death Tax and all.

Again, that is just a rumor I heard at one of my LHS. If anyone can substantiate, or blast it out of the water, please do.

Dick Kidd, the technical editor died last fall. The owner, Don Dewey died a number of years ago (over 10) and turned the magazine (for reasons unknown) over to Ms. Pat Crews who was not a modeler or knew much about modeling from any first hand experience.

N1EDM 09-05-2005 05:03 PM

Hi Red,
Not to be arguementative, but Don Dewey died in 2000 (I think that the February or March issue carried the news of his death).

From my recollections, Pat Crews has been with the magazine since close to its inception. At the very least, she's been around for at least 20 years that I know of, and probably more.

Bob

Bipe Flyer 09-05-2005 05:17 PM

I've got the January 1968 issue in front of me right now and it has Patricia Crews as Managing Editor.

In a more recent issue it has "Founder: Don Dewey 1933-2000".

tailskid 09-05-2005 05:27 PM

Don Dewey's 'other' hobby was fish....so he started another mag dealing with that. At the time he was suffering from one of those phobias - the type that don't like to be outside their house or something like that.....

Jerry

Hossfly 09-05-2005 05:40 PM

DON DEWEY Sept. 30, 1933-Feb. 27, 2000.

Don was into aquariums and fish. Somewhere about 10-12 years ago, he turned over RCM management to Crews. IMO, she was not the best for working with. At a time about 10 years ago when I subscribed to all magazines in US having to do with any form of model airplanes, plus 3 foreign magazines, Pat Crews in her obstinate basically foolish business methods, caused me to not resubscribe to RCM. She changed an ad. and charged me twice the posted rate without even advising me that she intended to do so. She refused to do differently or make her error good.
Flying Models made a small error with that ad and ran it over without any problem from them. I still subscribe to FM.

N1EDM 09-05-2005 06:56 PM

Hi Hossfly, Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but this isn't a thread about the personalities at RCM.

I think that we're all just trying to figure out if/how/when it will be published again...

Sorry that you had those troubles, though.

Bob

tailskid 09-05-2005 07:04 PM

I guess I'm supposed to get the 'pink slip' letter later this week:( That ought to be proof enough. I know they are returning all my unpublished columns, articles and product reviews....

Jerry

Red Scholefield 09-05-2005 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Hi Red,
Not to be arguementative, but Don Dewey died in 2000 (I think that the February or March issue carried the news of his death).

From my recollections, Pat Crews has been with the magazine since close to its inception. At the very least, she's been around for at least 20 years that I know of, and probably more.

Bob
You are right. My recollection goes back to working for RCM in their Toledo booth around 90-95 and Ms Crews was the person in charge of the magazine, I never had the pleasure of meeting Don Dewey during that period

Charles J DeVito
Ravenheart Enterprises
rhe1 at gte_net

>It is with great saddness that I pass along the news that Don Dewey, editor
of
>FAMA and RCM magazines, passed away Sunday February 27, 2000, from a heart
>attack.
>
>In lieu of flowers, Don's wife Sally has asked that donations be made to a
>charity. Three of Don's favorite charities are: Feed The Children, P.O. Box
>36, Oklahoma City, OK 73101; Christian Appalachian Project, 322 Crab
>Orchard Rd, Lancaster, KY 40446; Doris Day Animal League, 227 Massachusetts
Ave
>NE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 2000
>

jettstarblue 09-06-2005 06:12 AM

Good grief! Can't we let this thread fold too?

N1EDM 09-06-2005 06:55 AM

Hahahaha.... I suppose you could always unsubscribe......

Bob

mvigod 09-06-2005 11:30 AM

If this does turn out to be the case which it seems likely based on what I'm hearing above then any unemployed writers who are looking for an outlet can feel free to contact me to publish their pieces which never made it in and possibly future work as well.

jettstarblue 09-06-2005 02:46 PM

Hahahaha.... I suppose you could always unsubscribe......

Bob
I never had a subscription....Oh you mean to this thread.... heh heh, uh yeah, good idea.;)

Hossfly 09-06-2005 03:28 PM

Hi Hossfly, Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but this isn't a thread about the personalities at RCM.

//snip//
Bob

Touche! you are correct. Just my offering why I no longer stay abreast of what's happening at RCM.

Sorry to see it go. Sure loved those "Covers" way back in the '70s and early '80s. ;)

Red Scholefield 09-06-2005 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Sorry to see it go. Sure loved those "Covers" way back in the '70s and early '80s. ;)
Which we reverently referred to as Dick's Delicious Dolls.

I recall a rather humorous episode in that regard at one of the Toledo shows.

It was our custom to hand out sample copies of RCM. I handed one to a !QUOT!lady!QUOT! with husband (Milktoast Melvin) on a leash and she went into a tirade about how ****ty the cover was, picturing two brides with an airplane model. She looked exactly like what you would expect the local leader of NOW to look like with the build of a Russian peasant.

Laddie Mikulasko happened to be working in the RCM booth. Laddie had used his very attractive twin daughters on many RCM covers since the were babies. I told the NOW witch to tell her dislike to Laddie as he was the father of the brides. She huffed and stormed off not seeing Melvin trying to stuff a copy of the magazine into his shirt.

GrnBrt 09-06-2005 04:29 PM

to funny Red, to funny!!!!!!!![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

pikebishop 09-06-2005 04:47 PM

my wife renewed my subscription in april and I got may june then nothing. e mails have gotten no reply. I guess they ripped me off. I had noticed the declineing content especially the lean toward arf reviews but I still liked looking at all the new stuff coming out etc. pity that they stopped with all the technical stuff and the hands on articals. I actually found them eaducational as well as interesting.

DGM 09-06-2005 06:42 PM

I called RCM a couple of weeks ago and was advised they are negotiating with a new printer and next issue should be out in NOV or DEC 05. The lady I talked too was very nice and said everybodys subscription will be extended for the number of issues missed. At least that is what I was told in August 05.

Red Scholefield 09-06-2005 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: DGM

I called RCM a couple of weeks ago and was advised they are negotiating with a new printer and next issue should be out in NOV or DEC 05. The lady I talked too was very nice and said everybodys subscription will be extended for the number of issues missed. At least that is what I was told in August 05.
Then why don't they post such on their web site, or have someone in their organization - any of a number of their Contributing Editors post the real story here? RCM is going out in a style that fits the Editor-in-Chief. "I could give a crap about modeling - I'm out of here - sorry suckers."

Now if anyone sees an issue of RCM by the end of the year, please let me know and I'll post a public apology.

N1EDM 09-06-2005 09:25 PM

For the record, guys...

Way back when, when the covers were more, ahem, sexist (hey, sex sells anything)

RCM used to stand for Really Cute Models :-D

Don had it right, didn't he??? Everyone has a favorite cover...

Bob

sebo 09-06-2005 10:17 PM

I finally decided to subscribe in January.
Got a couple of mags but didn't even notice that I wasn't getting it any more. Never even missed it.
I had been buying it off the magazine racks for years.
No sooner I try to save a few bucks by subscribing, whammo.
I'm sorry, guys, it's all my fault.
It seems that RCM learned a few tricks from the guy who sold Wingbags!
What's this world coming to?

Allie33 09-06-2005 11:04 PM

YES.

The covers by Max Mills were EXCEPTIONAL.

AW

damifino 09-07-2005 07:58 PM

The shrinking numbers of builders and ever expanding numbers of 'buyers' is probably the main reason for the decline of a great magazine. My LHS has been in business for many, many years. They keep, on the shelves, well over a hundred ARFS, kits, and electrics and all the parts, materials and accessories one can ever imagine. I asked just this week if they were going to have another GP Super Skybolt kit or CG Super Chipmunk kit on the shelves anytime soon. The reply was, "No, ARF's are where the industry is at now and we'll just stock a few Sig kits and maybe a Cub kit or two. Nobody builds kits anymore. We'll be glad to order anything you want." So, what is left for the mags to write about that is gonna pay the bills? It takes 'x' number of people to put a rag together no matter how many advertisers it has. They have to make a living. Yes, you can fill it up with ARF ads, but what the h*ll are you gonna write about? How to beef up lousy glue joints. How about - 'Crappy Landing Gear And 10 Great Ways To Happier Landings? Maybe this would be a good read- 'My ARF Or Yours? How To Identify Your Plane In A Crowd'. And whose gonna buy it? There are about enough ARFs introduced in a year to support maybe one and a half magazines so, sadly, one favorite mag looks like it MAY be sinking. Just like classic rock'n'roll and cool cars-, they don't make 'em anymore. And they don't make modelers like they used to either.

P-51B 09-07-2005 08:18 PM

For the record, guys...

Way back when, when the covers were more, ahem, sexist (hey, sex sells anything)

Bob

Wierd, I used to get alot of the old RCM with good looking ladies on them, some were even in bikinis, I never found a sexist one...;)