RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Has RCM folded? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/3130359-has-rcm-folded.html)

BigSkyRCFlyer 07-05-2005 04:17 PM

RE: Has RCM folded?

I think RCM will be missed, if it ever does go away. Glad to hear from rc crewser-;) I hope the future is bright, and brings back this great mag to its former glory. RCM has been monumental in the RC community, I think we all have fond memories of it. Let's hope for the best. I too would like to see more articles on Gas, Glow, Kits, repair, construction, some ARF's, and a few Park'ies. LOL

Our club has an extensive collection of RCM, MAN, and MA dating back to the 60's, 70's through today. It is fun to look at all the old issues, I have learned more from them, than the current issue, that's for sure! :)

LSP972 07-05-2005 08:16 PM

<<..learned more from the back issues than the current ones...>>

That's the point of this thread, I think...:D

Prop Nut, I've subscribed to RCR several times; but at renewal time, I've always found some reason not to. I remember once it was due to the majority of coverage that year being giant scale, which is of no interest to me. I did usually enjoy Gordon'e editorials, though.

I've been underwhelmed with RCM for a few years now, but always coughed up the renewal fee because, like BigSky said, RCM is well... RCM. An icon of the hobby, so to speak. And, to be honest, if "they" hadn't screwed up my renewal date, I'd probably have ponied up the bucks again this November. Heck, if I had gotten the June issue like the girl said I would, I'd have sent them a check for the renewal.

After replying to this thread earlier this morning, I thought about calling again to see what their explanation of no magazine received would be. But the girl was quite adamant that my subscription had indeed expired- and was a bit of a smart-ass about it when I questioned her- when we spoke the first time. Funny how the date suddenly changed after 17 years, eh? This being a matter of principle, I know if I called back I would push the issue. No sense in getting aggravated again...:eek:

Hircflyer 07-05-2005 08:40 PM

Steve, I had a simuliar experience with them regarding the renewal date, after over 20 years of expiring on my birthday (wife always bought for me) I missed several issues and the experation date had changed by several months. They said they would send me the missed issues but never did. Never sent a renewal notice either.

I finally gave up on them.

scottrc 07-06-2005 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: BigSkyRCer

I think RCM will be missed, if it ever does go away. Glad to hear from rc crewser-;) I hope the future is bright, and brings back this great mag to its former glory. RCM has been monumental in the RC community, I think we all have fond memories of it. Let's hope for the best. I too would like to see more articles on Gas, Glow, Kits, repair, construction, some ARF's, and a few Park'ies. LOL

Our club has an extensive collection of RCM, MAN, and MA dating back to the 60's, 70's through today. It is fun to look at all the old issues, I have learned more from them, than the current issue, that's for sure! :)
I too have a collection that dates back to 1966. Those issues are a golden wealth of information. I learned a lot from the engine and electronics articles that seemed to have never been replaced after the authors passed on.

I think, however, that the magazine may be obsolete now that we have the Internet. I can come here or look into the many other websites and obtain information on just about anything related to RC. So why bother paying $5.99 for a catalog why I can use the Internet for a lot less.

Scott

catboater 07-06-2005 05:50 PM

Well, I called to find out where my May, June and July issues were today. They had no explanation why I had not received my May and June issues but they would send them right out. The July issue isn't even finished yet and it's already July 6th. It looks like they are really going down.
Bummer[&o]

LSP972 07-06-2005 07:00 PM

Well, at least your subscription didn't magically expire.;)

I got another renewal notice- this one handwritten- in the mail today. Still no June issue. Think I'll call tomorrow and 'splain why they have lost this customer, and perhaps they might want to take a look at this thread to see that I'm not alone.

Joe Ortiz 07-06-2005 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Well, at least your subscription didn't magically expire.;)

I got another renewal notice- this one handwritten- in the mail today. Still no June issue. Think I'll call tomorrow and 'splain why they have lost this customer, and perhaps they might want to take a look at this thread to see that I'm not alone.

That's going to hurt, but if the magazine wan't to survive and regain there customer base back, they will need to do some quick changes for sure.

Joe

Red B. 07-07-2005 04:04 AM

Does anybody know what will happen to the RCM plans? The plans directory lists hundreds of plans that is part of our R/C aircraft heritage.
I do hope that the plans will be available in the future even if the magazine folds.

/Red B.

tailskid 07-07-2005 07:06 PM

Geee.....I hope things are O.K. at RCM!!!!

Jerry

Joe Ortiz 07-07-2005 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Red B.

Does anybody know what will happen to the RCM plans? The plans directory lists hundreds of plans that is part of our R/C aircraft heritage.
I do hope that the plans will be available in the future even if the magazine folds.

/Red B.

I hear ya, I have the same concerns. I hope somebody from RCM is reading this.

Joe

tailskid 07-07-2005 11:13 PM

Just called RCM tonight and everything seems 'as normal'.....

Jerry

Gremlin Castle 07-08-2005 04:34 PM

Is it more "normal" than the old Model Builder magazine? Remember when they published their 25th anniversary magazine and folded with no notice after that one hit the stands? Or, even better, how about the famous Scale RC Modeler debacle? RC Modeler is has reached the point where they are like the punchline from the old straight razor joke which was something like "oh yeh, just shake yo head". They were dead along time back and just would not admit it.

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Just called RCM tonight and everything seems 'as normal'.....

Jerry

Red Scholefield 07-08-2005 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: rc crewser

Heck no they have not folded! They are having some internal restructuring and production and printing matters are slowing things up. Be ready for big news and big things from RCM in the near future.
Someone buy it? Pat Crews never had an original idea nor would she use any submitted. RCM ran on the momentum that Don Dewey gave it and the steady hand of Dick Kidd as Technical Editor. Now you see the results as both of these fine modelers have left us.

IronCross 07-08-2005 08:06 PM

Still haven't received my July issue... This is sad.. I can remember RCM being thee Magazine years ago.. Hard to believe a magazine can go from top to out of business like this... Sad

jessiej 07-08-2005 10:39 PM

Other than the AMA mag, I now subscribe only to Flying Models. Untill a few years ago I got all of them, but it seemed as though they became all ARF, etc. at the expense of anything I found of interest. I suppose that is where the money is, but if that is the case why is RCM dwindling?

jess

mvigod 07-08-2005 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: jessiej

...but if that is the case why is RCM dwindling?

jess
The trend in recent years is that more people are spending time online getting information. Not just this hobby but everywhere. The hours spent online typically dwarf time spent reading print these days. Think of how much each of you spend online each day and week compared to how much you read in print now? Now roll the clock back 5 years and think about the difference. Magazines and newspapers are all declining as a trend toward online continues. Advertisers realize this and as a result Google has a legitimate and justified market cap of 85 billion which is more than disney or time warner! This ain't the internet bubble anymore. This is the real deal.

That said I don't think newspapers or magazines will go away anytime soon. That isn't going to happen but the decline will continue for a few years as the web continues to gain additional "mass". Some newspapers or magazines will go away or be bought and consolidation may occur. In this hobby just for air alone you have MAN, Fly RC, RC Report, RCM, Flying Models, QF and probably 5 others I can't even think of right now. There is only so much room and with the trend of people going online it becomes considerably more difficult for any print entity to thrive in. In just 3 years RCU has tacked on almost 180,000 registered user here and we add 6000+ every single month consistently. These are the people that continually come online to find accurate and timely information.

The web itself is a killer application in many respects and one does not need to look to far to see where it can shine and at the same time potentially douse the flame of another.

mars 07-09-2005 06:34 PM

I have to disagree with the last post by rcadmin. I spend tons of hours reading my mags front to back then back to front. It would be impossible to measure hours reading a mag or book, as they dont have timer on them. :) Of course maybe Im one of the few.

However the subscription price on Fly RC might have something to do with it. Mine was $19.95 for a year. Bye Bye RCM, hello Fly RC.

I still think the AMA mag is da best. More tech info and great write ups.

Red Scholefield 07-09-2005 07:10 PM

I agree, Fly R/C is kicking butt. But it is edited by a seasoned modeler, Tom Atwood, who has extensive magazine experience. How about that - plans inserted! Got to build the Twinkle (Sept 05 issue) Expect RCM to follow perhaps.

AgCat1982 07-10-2005 04:30 AM

I happen to love the new high tech stuff, battery powered "toys" , etc.!!! The kind of power available from batteries today is amazing and getting better! I don't have to worry about making people mad at me about the noise!:D

I like them all!!!!:)

Dsegal 07-10-2005 08:02 AM

> I don't have to worry about making people mad at me about the noise!:D <

Dean Pappas, the Flying Models columnist, has had neighbors call out the cops when he was flying a glider!

Taildragger 07-10-2005 09:09 AM

I have no problem with RCM folding. R/C Report is THE best R/C magazine hands down. As long as I get it I'll survive.

blw 07-10-2005 10:54 PM

I'm also sick of the toy planes, etc in RCM. However, MAN seems the worst to me. I just don't buy RCM, RC Flyer, or MAN any more. I didn't buy 3-D Flyer until recently and I glad I finally gave it a chance. Not much content is about 3D flying. I think the last editors comment admitted that the name is misleading. Most is pattern related with good stuff on trimming, setups, etc. George Hicks does the monthly aerodynamics column. Chip Hyde, Jason Shulman, and others do monthly columns on building, trimming, etc.....all the stuff you don't find in the other 3 toy/ARF mags.

IronCross 07-11-2005 07:03 AM

Ya, I tried RC Flyer but am not renuewing that either... They push Vmar which destroys there credibility as far as I am concerned.. Also way to much electric stuff which is not my thing...

zx32tt 07-13-2005 08:31 AM

I think RCU and other internet formums will likley kill most if not all the model magazines. Most if not all information provided in the magazines is available at no cost on the internet. If you want opinions on a particular new model, engine, etc., RCU has forums that cover it all. The information is up to date, for the most part. Kit and ARF reviews, tend to be a bit biased IMO, since no one wants to bite the hand that feeds them. If you want the real story, read the build threads, and then believe about 50%. Just my $.02
Z

Red Scholefield 07-13-2005 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Red B.

/Red B.

This could be a problem, maybe they could be bought by the AMA like the John Pond Collection. I understand also that Bill Northrup's Plans Service will have a good chance of going to the AMA some day. There might be a slight problem however with RCM since there is no love lost between them and the AMA. I goes back to when the AMA started publishing their own magazine. RCM retaliated by providing space to the Sport Flyers Association to recruit members. PC would probably rather burn the collection that let it fall into AMA's hands.