RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Has RCM folded? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/3130359-has-rcm-folded.html)

spaceworm 12-18-2010 07:42 AM

RE: Has RCM folded?

Seems like gliders were the way to go. I have a Thermic 72 that I have not yet built, maybe I should have, back in the day I got it (1953).:D

Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas to One and All.

Sincerely, Richard

Iflyglow 12-18-2010 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Thanks... that looks like a beautiful bird... would be worthy of a Scale effort if folks could get past the pink color. I got this when I googled Sue Parrish

Sue Parrish - Gone West
Legendary warbird and former WASP pilot Sue Parrish has passed away at age 87. Sue was probably best known for being one of the founders of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo Museum and for flying her bright pink P-40 Warhawk at numerous airshows through the 70's, 80'sm and into the 1990's.

In another comment regarding the color of the finish, I found ''she answered that it was based on an actual aircraft that served in North Africa that had weathered to a bright pink colour under the intense sun and heat of the desert and that many P-40's in Allied service had their paint schemes go the same way with time.''

Thanks for bringing that up.

Bob

It used to be at the EAA convention quite a bit.:)

N1EDM 12-18-2010 12:56 PM

I had never heard of Sue Parrish until this thread. I do remember reading a thread about WASP's in Air and Space Smithsonian a few years ago. They were very brave ladies. We think of them as only ferrying planes, but in reality they were taking the planes on their first real shakedown flight and had to deal with in-flight failures, etc., and in some cases, sabotage.

Near the end of the war when they were disbanded, they were just ignored and never given proper credit for their role.

Bob

bruce88123 12-20-2010 05:18 AM

Disbanded but some that were KIA are remembered http://wwii-women-pilots.org/WAKIA/38KIA.html many of these women are college graduates as were many of the men that were KIA overseas. The "greatest generation" truly was. My father flew in Europe and fortunately made it back or I wouldn't be here. My mother built ships in a shipyard as a welder during the war. Nearly everyone did something towards the war effort even if it was just to suffer from the shortages of everything or the loss of a loved one.

N1EDM 12-20-2010 05:48 PM

Thanks for that, Bruce. And thanks for the link as well... Yup, my dad was in Europe and my mom worked in Washington DC during the war...

Bob

Joystick TX 12-27-2010 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

And another: 'Tis the season, football that is!:D

Best regards to all for a happy Holiday Season.

Sincerely, Richard
I should have kept that issue. Go Cowboys?

thunderbolt-RCU 01-20-2011 11:28 PM

Any new covers for the new year? Brian

N1EDM 01-22-2011 05:51 AM

I found one (and there may be more). The photos won't upload right now (that's a first, for me) but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your post. I'll try again in a while.

I see that you had a successful WOTR - Congratulations.

Bob

N1EDM 01-22-2011 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Brian,

I'll have to check my stash a little bit more. There must be one or two down there, but in the mean time you can see the word 'grace' all over this magazine cover. Very nice form, wouldn't you say?

I see that you had a very successful event last Season... Congrats..

Bob

tailskid 01-22-2011 09:57 AM

Nice!

meanrc 01-22-2011 11:50 AM

What cover do you want I have them all.

Jk

N1EDM 01-22-2011 12:39 PM

Anything with a pretty girl, in good taste, and in very high resolution that hasn't already been uploaded. We're a fussy bunch here...

Bob

meanrc 01-22-2011 03:04 PM

This is going to taka little time to go through all 66 pages, but I'll get'r done

Have a good un everone

Jk

N1EDM 01-22-2011 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Enjoy your presual through those 66 pages. I'm sure that there will be many a memory in there.

In the mean time, did I ever tell you guys about when I was racing Formula 1? I was on the US Team for years and years, even though several other countries were bidding for my services as well. But, Ah, I couldn't turn my back on the good old US of A. I was National Champeen for several years, and World Runner Up.

Let me show you a picture of my Pit Crew. You could say that she was my, um, Incentive. The plane was fast, and she was faster!

Bob

N1EDM 01-23-2011 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
..and even though Spring is not exactly "right around the corner", I thought that I would give you something to look forward to - of course, it's Float Flying!!

Bob

Mr. Canadian 01-24-2011 03:55 AM

does anyone here have a 2002-2003 issue with a blue and yellow stearman looking biplane on the cover?

DStone 01-24-2011 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the August 2002 issue

N1EDM 01-24-2011 06:13 PM

I think that's Doc Matthew's granddaughter holding it up...

Bob

Mr. Canadian 01-24-2011 06:43 PM

Thank You! I've been dieing trying to find that biplane. Seeing it back in 2002 is what got me into this hobby in the first place :)

N1EDM 01-25-2011 05:38 PM

I see that the plans are on the RCM Website under Big Old Bipe as plan PL-1314 . Are you going to build one?

Bob

EloyM 01-25-2011 11:01 PM

For N1EDM! I think you have your covers mixed up - though you do have good taste.
The one you posted was taken in Costa Rica, the pit crew shown is named Rosiris Valverde,
the plane belonged to Lyle Larson.

How do I know all that? My photography!!! Eloy Marez

N1EDM 01-26-2011 05:14 PM

Heck, Eloy, I knew that... but I never suspected that I'd get busted by the photographer!!!

So, you don't think that anyone is going to buy my story about being an FAI World Champion, huh??? :D :)

Bob

p.s., I also wish I had half your talent for some of those cover photos that you took... maybe even a third of your talent and I'd be happy...

Seriously, you and Max Mills really had the eye for some really tastefully done cover art... thanks for all your contributions...

frieshoo 01-27-2011 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

..and even though Spring is not exactly ''right around the corner'', I thought that I would give you something to look forward to - of course, it's Float Flying!!

Bob

Nice Floats!

EloyM 01-27-2011 03:39 PM

N1EDM. Hate to tell you, but you missed something better than being FAI World Champ: Pit Crew Rosiris
was with us in the Costa Rica booth at Toledo the year after I took the photo - 1997.
The CR Fun Fly is no more, the organizer got tired of all the work. It took place 20 years, I went
to No 2 through 20. Super place, and the lovelies were so nice to me - helped me with my Spanish! Eloy

N1EDM 01-27-2011 04:31 PM

Glad that you liked it Frieshoo

And Eloy, I have to hand it to you for that cover photo... she looked like you had her make the Perfect Pose... very cute and classy. And yes, I would have loved an opportunity like that to improve my Spanish.

Now I'm jealous!! :)

Bob