RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   How long do you stay at the field flying? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/4624273-how-long-do-you-stay-field-flying.html)

tailskid 08-14-2006 11:24 PM

How long do you stay at the field flying?

On a 'typical' day of flying, how long do you fly before you go home....assuming you still have your plane in one piece :) Most working folk can only fly on weekends, but some manage to fly during the week....so if you say you are going 'flying'...how long will you be at the field?

Jus wonder'n.....

Jerry

Dan767 08-14-2006 11:58 PM

RE: How long do you stay at the field flying?

When I go, I make sure everything is done at home so that I can "stay the day". I was at the field today from 11am to 5:15pm. Had a great time.

robflyer82 08-15-2006 12:13 AM

It varies for me but most of the time I'm there for 2-3 hours. A lot of it depends on if I have trouble starting my engine and getting it to run well. I ussually stay longer to fix any problems before ending for the day. There are a couple people who fly on the same channel as me so if they are there, my flights are spaced out rather than refuel and fly again.

Rob

redfox435cat 08-15-2006 02:14 AM

well our feild is only open from 9-1 so I'm there 8:30 to noon usually. Once upon a time without the restrictions I stay 6-7 hours

Tripower455 08-15-2006 07:45 AM

I usually get there at 10:oo am or so, and stay until it starts raining, which is around 12:00.... I actually stayed until after 3:00 a few weeks ago, because it didn't rain!

I can't wait for winter........ well, maybe not. Now, I get 2 hours of solid flying in, usually by myself. Once winter starts, it gets crowded.....

japan3d 08-15-2006 08:19 AM

I fly from 8am till sunset, then put the plane under the canopy, then go to the mother-in-laws house saturday night, then back at the the field sunday morning at 8am and again fly till sunset.

RCKen 08-15-2006 08:29 AM

Here in Oklahoma it usually get's pretty hot by noon or 1 in the afternoon (100°+) so I try to get flying in and done before it gets too awful hot. I will be at the field around 7 am and will usually leave 12 pm - 1pm, saturday and sunday. During spring and fall when it doesn't get so hot I may stay longer than that.

Ken

P-51B 08-15-2006 08:53 AM

Not long enough.

Deadeye 08-15-2006 10:15 AM

In the winter, it's 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon usually. In the summer, especially late June and early July, I head out at 6 or 7 and leave at dark whcih is as late as 10 PM.

LonestarMan 08-15-2006 10:30 AM

Well since I've found a new place to fly,I could fly all day till dark which is around 8:30 p.m.; but I usually get out there around 4:00 p.m.

love those warbirds 08-15-2006 11:24 AM

if I could say how long at the "park", 1-2 hours.:D

Clipclop 08-15-2006 06:53 PM

Are you asking about flying times before or after the divorce?

tailskid 08-15-2006 07:02 PM

Yes I am......:)

mscic-RCU 08-16-2006 12:21 PM

As long as I think I can stay without the wife getting mad!!!

MNFLYER 08-16-2006 12:26 PM

Everyone at our field flies basically until no one else is flying, or when it goes over to hanger talk.

50+AirYears 08-16-2006 07:07 PM

Usually 3 to 5 hours, although when I get a chance to get there on a vacation day, sometimes 8 or 9 hours.

BasinBum 08-16-2006 10:47 PM

I usually plan on 3 or 4 hours but our field is like a vortex and everytime I get ready to leave something sucks me back in. I always end up staying at least 5 hours much to my wifes chagrin. I'll be all packed up and then someone gets ready to maiden a new plane or someone shows up that I havn't seen in a while. There is always so much action at our field that it's hard to leave most of the time.

rslstft 08-16-2006 11:00 PM

I don't get much opportunity to fly, so when I do, I go for the whole day. Usually take at least 3 planes on 2 different frequencies just in case. Usually stay so late, I put nav and landing lights on one of my Cubs so I can fly after the sun sets just to get that one last flight in!!!

Russ

bkdavy 08-17-2006 08:04 AM

We're lucky enough to have a field close by, so I can throw a plane in the car, go fly, and be home in 1-1.5 hours. Invariably, I get sucked into the "vortex" if there is someone else there, and end up staying an extra hour. My average stay is 2-4 hours. To my wife's displeasure, it happens 2-3 times a week during the summer months when I'm not travelling. I also the club trainer, so Wednesday nights I'm there from 4:30-8:00, but I don't get to fly my own planes, so it doesn't count!

Brad

Jim_McIntyre 08-17-2006 09:07 AM

Having a full time job, young kids and a new home, there just is no 'typical' day.

I might get out for a couple hours one weekend, or I might get a full day. A couple times a year I'm lucky enough to attend a full weekend event and fly sunup to sundown for 2 or 3 days in a row. When I'm preparing for a competition, almost every free moment is spent flying until the event (I have a very understanding wife).[8D]

Winter (Nov - March) is building season but I do sneak the occasional fix with park flyers in the back yard or some indoor heli in the garage or some local group in a gymn.

japan3d 08-20-2006 07:04 AM

I must be lucky, my wife goes with me everytime I go to the field.

MadMonkey 08-21-2006 04:40 PM

I don't even have a plane yet (been out of the hobby for about 5 years, just now getting back in) and I'm usually out about 3 times a week for about 3-4 hours at a time. I hate to think what's going to happen once I actually start flying :D

I have a perfect setup... I work graveyard shift, so I have my days completely open. I'm not married and I don't even have a girlfriend (unless you count my car. She gets her attention at night) so I don't have anybody nagging me to come home. My job pays well so I have money for the hobby. I live about 10 minutes from the field, which is a beautiful grass strip. The only problem is that my car is a Mazda Miata, so I may have a problem with transportation unless I buy a minivan [:'(] Oh well... it'll be worth it!!!!

tailskid 08-21-2006 05:19 PM

"I have a perfect setup... I work graveyard shift, so I have my days completely open. I'm not married and I don't even have a girlfriend (unless you count my car. She gets her attention at night) so I don't have anybody nagging me to come home."

Color me GREEN with envy......

donhef 08-23-2006 08:00 AM

As long as the housework and yardwork is done, my Better Half will kick me out early in the morning and tell me to "have fun" as long as I want on the weekend. But flying during the week is another thing. Work is to far away and we can't fly after 6pm.

50+AirYears 08-23-2006 08:29 AM

During the workweek, about a 9 minute drive to the field, up to 40 minutes of flying almost anything I might have with me, 9 minutes back to work with maybe a quick stop at a drive-through for a burger or one of our vending machines for lunch. Our field used to be only 4 minutes away, but then a developer moved in after finding some loopholes in the wetlands preservation laws. We were lucky to find a useable field for a seamless transition.