RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   How Should I Fix? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/4631-how-should-i-fix.html)

Rc Aro Planes 07-16-2002 09:27 AM

How Should I Fix?

I took the futaba acrostar out for it's first flight and it dead sticked about 50ft in the air.. Lets say there wasn't a lot of air speed and it chrashed looks like I can fix It. Should I remove all the covering and gule the broken parts? Or should I replace the parts by cutting new ones? What would be the diffrence? Sorry if this is a dumb qustion but it is my first repair attempt.

thanks

FHHuber 07-16-2002 10:06 AM

How Should I Fix?

It depends on the extent of the damage....

E-mail me a few digital pictures if you can, and I can probably give advice on the repair.

I'm glad tohear you took my advice, held the plane and are re-evaluating it. ;)

Rc Aro Planes 07-16-2002 10:10 AM

How Should I Fix?

I I think it will be alot easry than I thought. I need you e-mail address or I can post them on the net and give you the link. let me know what is best for you.

FHHuber 07-16-2002 03:31 PM

How Should I Fix?

I'll have to add my e-mail to my signature.... :rolleyes:

[email protected]

E-mail or posting will work... doesn't matter. ;)

Rc Aro Planes 07-16-2002 08:31 PM

How Should I Fix?

Sent the pics already Thanks for your help!!

FHHuber 07-16-2002 10:53 PM

How Should I Fix?

The pics show a fuselage basicly snapped cleanly at the CG (high point of the airfoil) with plastic cockpit section popped off, and a smashed canopy.

I could see a ding in a wingtip... but not clearly. It wasn't bad though...

A simple fitting back together, and doubling over the broken lite ply with 1/16 aircraft ply, (possibly overkill... but it WILL hold.) fixes the main strctural damage.

the ABS plastic repairs... bandage the inside with light fiberglass cloth and use PVC cements for fixing the surface. Unfortunately... gotta paint to hide the repairs.

Replacement canopy should be cut from a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle (size is right where I'm not sure which will fit better...)

Overall... the plane looked to be in fairly decent shape... If the structure had been stronger, I bet it would have bounced and not broken. there's no sign of a really hard impact... aside from the busted canopy... and old canopies are often brittle.

Rc Aro Planes 07-17-2002 03:32 PM

How Should I Fix?

The covering is not Monokote. It is foam with a plastic shell. Any Idea what it is or how to fix it?

FHHuber 07-17-2002 10:25 PM

How Should I Fix?

OUCH... that is nearly impossible to do neatly... that patch is going to show. :(

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! If there's any oil there.. it'll crack open again.

Yellow (or white) glue mixed with corn starch t form a paste. brush it into the crack. Extend a bit on the sides... then sand smooth after letting it dry for 24 hours. CAREFUL... don't sand into the foam AT ALL!

Then you have to find a "styrofoam friendly" fuelproof paint, or cover the repair with Monokote trim sheet. (the contact adhesive stuff, NO HEAT! ) The trim sheet would add a little strength to the repair... You will still have to seal the edges of the monokote trim with a fuelprof paint if you use that....