RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   RC investment in the someday stash. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/5236997-rc-investment-someday-stash.html)

pumbadog 01-09-2007 01:33 PM

RC investment in the someday stash.

Have any of you long time R/C'rs ever considered how much in dollar value that you have scattered around in the house / build room as far as engines, radios, broken kits, kits yet to be built, misc. stuff. I'm talking stuff that isn't ready to go that you said, "someday I'll install this in________, someday I'll use thes on______, someday I'll fly that _______ again. You know what I mean. I've been out for a while and started in again last year but I have some old stuff in boxes probably $300 in unused engines and misc. parts. I can't imagine what some of you have after seeing pics of some of your shops.

Charlie P. 01-09-2007 01:45 PM

RE: RC investment in the someday stash.

I know ARFs are way cheaper than kits because for every kit I buy twice as much of everything as I'll need, but always run out of at least two items in the build process.

I think what you are referring to is "stuff", and it is not limited to R/C. It applies to fishing, hunting, gardening, etc.

We buy for what we wish we could use and not for what we need.

pumbadog 01-09-2007 02:04 PM

Nope, not talking about building supplies. Just talking kits, radio's, engines, old airplanes, old wrecks, the core parts needed to make a take to the field flying aircraft. like I said, I've seen some of your pics and I know of some of the long time guys at the club that could probably start a small used parts hobby store with some of their forgotton or back burner projects. Probably like I'll be down the road. :D

Edwin 01-09-2007 02:36 PM

QUICK!!! Get the duct tape and tape this guys mouth shut. Somebody's spouse might see this and cause civil unrest for the rest of the world.

In other words, I dont know, I dont want to know, I wouldnt tell if I did know, OR I would lie if I knew.:) I use two bays in my 3 car garage and the way things are organized she'll never figure out what is new in there. The layers of saw dust are good camoflage.
Edwin

khodges 01-09-2007 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Edwin

I use two bays in my 3 car garage and the way things are organized she'll never figure out what is new in there.
Edwin
I feel your pain. I only have a 1 car garage, don't think a car has seen the inside of it in 15 years. The front half my wife keeps piled high with junk that she refuses to throw away, and I refuse to haul to the attic because if I move it, it will be to the landfill. As a result, she can't even find her way to the back half of the garage, which is my workshop. I've got about six 1/4 scale kits that I want to build, but don't have enough room to lay them out, and every time I try, I wind up getting an ARF instead, because I can "customize" it more easily in my limited space. Most all of the accumulated engines (3 gas and 3 glow) were destined for the kits, but will probably end up in the next ARF:) I got cowls and main gear and control rods and receivers and servos and batteries and pilot busts laying all around, and then of course the flying planes.

SDR-Hammer 01-09-2007 03:36 PM

Tough tough question and there are too many variables to even calculate a value or investment if I had to.

What everything cost new, what it’s worth now, how many actual dollars invested and what it would cost to replace are all completely different figures. Some things I bought brand new years ago, and really never used, would barely fetch a penny now. Also like most modelers I horse traded, so to speak, for many of the things I have right now.

bbbair 01-09-2007 04:27 PM

How do you put a price on;

Love,
Sanity,
Peace of Mind,
and
A Totally Insane Devotion to a bunch of guys playing with really neat toys?? :D

Aeromodelling costs,
The joy it brings; Priceless. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

pumbadog 01-09-2007 05:07 PM

In a way, that's what I'm getting at. For those of you that read this that are just visiting the site to see if they want to buy a "toy airplane". Be ware that for some this is a really big bug to be bit by. It's probably worth comparing to people that are into motorsports of various types. They have a workshop and parts scattered around, one day I'll use this in ______. Just like we do. I just wondered if any of you have ever sit back and added up what you've put into this and thought in the beginning that you would ever be bit this hard. Not knocking it at all. I love it as much as the next guy. Just things that make you go hmmmmm.

staggerwing 01-09-2007 05:32 PM

My problem is not only do I get the kit to "build someday" but I also usually get the engine, receiver, servos and covering materials. My better half doesn't even go down in the basement anymore. Been at this for 50 years. Right now if I can complete at least four a year I'm set for the next 20 years. If I don't make it, my kids will probably make some big bucks selling the leftovers on E-bay.

:D

Rich

---------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31

Edwin 01-09-2007 09:02 PM

I was talking to my office mate last week about this. He thinks he spends about $2000 a year on bicycle riding. And that could easily be the cost of just part of a bike, he builds his own. I spend about $1000 to $1200 a year on RC, cause thats my budget. To buy a nice arf usually takes 8 or 10 months of saving. So building makes my money go further, in SOME cases. Got lucky a couple of years ago when I had $800 saved up and a hobby shop closed with 30 to 40% discounts. Spent $700 there. Bought things like hardware, G-62, World Models 1/5 Cub arf and lots of linkage hardware. I'm still working off some of that stuff. I usually dont make the right place right time scenario, but it worked out that time. About half my buget goes to the clubs annual swapmeet. Which just happens to be in a couple of weeks.
Edwin

henryhighwood 01-09-2007 10:47 PM

Thousands, many thousands,,,, I think I will go be quiet by myself for a while now.

DavidAgar 01-10-2007 12:11 AM

I have the solution. Instead of the someday pile, I have a some year pile which makes the value spread out over 365 days instead of just 1 day. It is so much easier to explain to the wife. Good Luck, Dave

jettstarblue 01-10-2007 05:56 AM

You should try restoring motorcycles....twice as much space is filled, twice as much money invested in tools, parts, "somedays" ect.

Edwin 01-10-2007 07:19 AM

Jettstarblue, Dont bum me out now. I just had a 16x20 affordable portable built with the primary purpose to rebuild my motorcycle. Right now its an FLHT. Will be stripping it down to make a street cruiser out of it. My back cant take the long distance touring anymore. I dont want that open engine anywhere near all that saw dust in my garage.
Edwin

Roquewj 01-10-2007 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: pumbadog

Have any of you long time R/C'rs ever considered how much in dollar value that you have scattered around in the house / build room as far as engines, radios, broken kits, kits yet to be built, misc. stuff. I'm talking stuff that isn't ready to go that you said, "someday I'll install this in________, someday I'll use thes on______, someday I'll fly that _______ again. You know what I mean. I've been out for a while and started in again last year but I have some old stuff in boxes probably $300 in unused engines and misc. parts. I can't imagine what some of you have after seeing pics of some of your shops.
Much less than my ex-wife took following divorce. I should have spent more on the hobby . . .

MinnFlyer 01-10-2007 01:13 PM

I don't even want to think about it!

I still have Kraft radios kicking around

And a few Reeds Servos :D

Jim Messer 01-10-2007 08:02 PM

When you are into modeling as long as I have been (70 years), you tend to accumulate lots and lots of stuff. For example, I have ten giant scale airplanes ready to fly - fully equipped - just charge the batteries and go fly. Seven of them are powered by G-62's. The others have Fox 5.8 and DA-100 engines. I also have about 5000 board feet of raw balsa that has a street value of at least ten-thousand dollars. Also, I have over 1000 pieces of excellent grade balsa sheets in every size imaginable. I have over 500 balsa sticks of excellent grade, and about 100 hardwood dowels from 1/8 dia. to 1/2 dia. I have a good supply of fiberglass arrow-shafts - not easy to come by these days. My plywood racks are full. I have enough stuff in the line of packaged hardware on my walls to last me a lifetime, so that trips to the hobby shop are never necessary. I have at least 50 brand new giant scale props, from 16" to 28" sizes. I have at least a dozen old AM receivers, and a half-dozen old FM transmitters. I have about 500 pieces of music wire from 1/64 dia. up to 1/4 dia. I have a large box full of old engines - Ohlssons, Tiger Bunch, Madewell, Hornet, and the like; old single channel radios (Citizenship), old reed radios (Citizenship and Orbit), and a few Bonner Duramite servos used with reed radios.

Since I have moved to Sebring in 1994, I have cut 54 giant scale kits and given them away "FREE" to club members to build. The kits include all the balsa, plywood, and hardwood parts necessary to build the airplane. To date, all 54 airplanes have been completed and flown. That's one way to get rid of some of my inventory, and it sure does create a lot of good-will. Most of the kits are either 1/4 or 1/3 scale. I have given away two really nice 1/4 scale planes - to a couple of up-and coming youngster pilots who at age 15 can out-fly me a hundred times.

I don't know what my inventory is worth, nor do I care. What I do know, is that every time I give either a kit or a completed airplane away, to someone that will make them better enjoy this hobby, the look on their faces as they receive their free gift is priceless.

pumbadog 01-10-2007 09:36 PM

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

bbbair 01-11-2007 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

I don't know what my inventory is worth, nor do I care. What I do know, is that every time I give either a kit or a completed airplane away, to someone that will make them better enjoy this hobby, the look on their faces as they receive their free gift is priceless.
Jim;
Everyone wishes that they had a Grandfather / Friend like you.

Keep the faith and have a great New Year!!

Bruce

Cyclic Hardover 01-11-2007 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I don't even want to think about it!

I still have Kraft radios kicking around

And a few Reeds Servos :D

Thats good, I thought you might have some "Heathkits" laying around.

Rcpilot 01-11-2007 02:00 PM

While I don't have 1/2 of the inventory Jim has, I do have quite a bit of stuff. I started buying hardware and servos to avoid trips to the hobby shop.

I've got boxes and boxes of kits I've been collecting for about 4 or 5 yrs. I am buying kits that I plan to build some day. Some of the kits are just investments. I don't like the plane and I'll never build it. But, when you can pick it up for $150 and I KNOW I could sell it today for $375--why not keep collecting them? I've got a good stash of kits to fall back on someday if times get tough. Either that--or my kids are gona be rich when I die and they sell it all on ebay.

I have brand new JR digital servos just sitting in boxes. Brand new servo extensions and switches and linkages and control horns. All sitting in boxes and on shelves.

Most of the reason why I started collecting so much stuff is that I just got sick and tired of hobby shops never having what I wanted. It sucks to be in the middle of a build and you need a simple 3" Sullivan wheel and a pair of 5/32" axles and some wheel collars. Drive to the LHS--guess what? THEY DON'T HAVE IT!! [:@] So, I buy stuff on ebay in bulk and I buy servos and extensions in bulk. I spend $100 every time I get a chance and just keep collecting. I'm 35 and have been in the hobby for almost 9yrs now. Ask me again in 20yrs how much junk I got.

I actually tried to get out of the hobby about 4 months ago. I moved from a great big house into a little bitty 2 bedroom apartment. It's cheap and I'm supposed to be going back to school to finish a mechanical engineering degree. I sold a bunch of planes. Sold a bunch of old engines. Sold a couple TXs and a bunch of RXs and servos.

Then SANITY (or is it INSANITY) got hold of me and I started buying airplanes again. This hobby is just too much fun to walk away from.

I want to start collecting ARFs, but they take up so much space. I need to buy a big house with an unfinished basement and then I'll work on my ARF collection. [sm=lol.gif]

Don't tell my wife. If she finds out how much fun I'm having, she'll figure out a way to make me quit. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Jim Thomerson 01-11-2007 05:24 PM

I am not an engine collector, but rather an engine accumulator. I have decided to cut my engine stash down to engines I may someday actually put into an airplane.
So from time to time I go out and look through my engines for things to put on ebaY. Generally what happens is that I fondle each and every engine, think of a use for it, and end up with nothing to sell. Now I do put an occasional engine on. The problem is that I don't have all the interesting engines in the world, so I buy one from time to time. Also I buy an occasional bargain for immediate listing. That doesn't count! I have not done a detailed accounting, but I feel that I sell about 10 engines for every 9 I buy, so my stash must be slowly diminishing. :D

Teachu2 01-12-2007 05:23 PM

I have a 16x24' workshop, 10' ceiling FULL of kits, ARFs, planes, motors, tools, wood......and I've done major selloffs several times. I've pretty much quit flying, but I can't stand the thought of inventory-ing all that stuff to list it! Gotta be closr to $10K out there. When I get to it, I'll probably list it for $2500 including a trailer to haul it in!

Herb Calvin 01-12-2007 08:51 PM

Do you supose somebody is going through these threads and when they find a good deal you will have midnight visitors. I won't put the value of my planes online

jettstarblue 01-15-2007 07:04 AM

After reading this thread I went out to the shop and dug out all my engines and hardware. I put all my Cox stuff and one of my .15's up on ebay, should get me enough to buy a couple more kits.....just to equal things out ya' know.;)