RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   RCU server upgrade? when... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/607238-rcu-server-upgrade-when.html)

Shortman 03-07-2003 06:44 PM

RCU server upgrade? when...

I was wondering Mark when you plan to have the upgrade done to the site? :)

mvigod 03-07-2003 06:49 PM

I have 3 vendors I'm finalizing my choices between right now. All of them require a much bigger migration then any of the previous upgrades in terms of physically moving off our old servers as well as to a new facility. As such the "headache" factor and technical issues involved are significantly higher. It is because of this along with pricing I have taken a bit of extra time to do my due diligence to ensure RCU's upgrades are smooth and designed more with the future in mind so other upgrades are faster and seamless.

I hope to lock this up within the next few days and then it may take up to a week for the vendors to build the hardware needed and set it up. After that it will take me anywhere from 2-3 days to setup the back end systems and then flip the switch to the upgraded RCU.

marc

RCaeroguy 03-07-2003 06:52 PM

I'm curious how the necessary funds are generated for such an undertaken as RCU? Hats & T-shirts can't possibly cover it all.

mvigod 03-07-2003 07:25 PM

Originally posted by vacinekm
I'm curious how the necessary funds are generated for such an undertaken as RCU? Hats & T-shirts can't possibly cover it all.
Advertising and donations...not an easy juggling act as the server/bandwidth grows faster than the ads/donations...

marc

FLYBOY 03-07-2003 08:09 PM

We should all make a donation to RCU on paypal to help with funding this project so we can keep the best site on the internet going! Go do it now before you forget.

Paypal [email protected] to help out.

JohnVH 03-07-2003 09:57 PM

Thanks for the plug FLYBOY!

Last I heard it cost a rediculous amount just to keep this site going!!! Im not kidding! More than you think:(

If it wasnt for the paying advertisers and donations we would not have this!

Thanks advertisers!

GrnBrt 03-07-2003 10:15 PM

It sure does take a lot to keep this site up and running like it does and marc has done a fantastic job keeping on top of it. I know I sure do appreciate having it to come to everyday! A lot goes on in the background also and a lot of folks just don't realize how much dedication it really does take. In this day and age a lot of this modern tehnology is taken for granted, just click on the link and binko bango you're in here reading the different forums. We have around 50 or so moderators making sure that all is well in the forums and that alone is a monster job, and it's all without any compensation but we do love what we do. so sit back and enjoy and thank you for all the good comments, it means a lot to us.