RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Don Muddiman Flying Machine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8015992-don-muddiman-flying-machine.html)

flyingmachine 07-11-2012 03:03 PM

RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

ANY latest NEWS?

Dave McDonald 07-11-2012 06:35 PM

Did you read Don's latest update from 2 days ago?

Jon Collins 07-13-2012 05:23 PM

Hey guys, good news from OS Engines. They have released a new version of the .46AX that uses a standard carb (i.e. no remote needle valve). This along with a Master Airscrew 9 x 6 prop is a perfect combination for the Flying Machinel. The OS .40/.46 has been Don's engine of choice for many years.

Don - I think the ARC as well as the ARF versions is a great idea. I think I'll take one of each....

Nitro-Tom 07-22-2012 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: flyingmachine

ANY latest NEWS?

What's up guys, have not seen R/C u or any flying time in quite some time.

starting to cycle the batteries and warm up the simm

time to get out the red FM and see how that O/S re-build takes care of me :-)

p.s. = I am an ARF guy, but the ARC option would be nice

Dave McDonald 08-15-2012 07:12 PM

It's been over 5 weeks since an update.

Any progress since then?

Muddiman 08-21-2012 09:01 AM

It's in the works.  Pre-production kits have been invoiced,  I should know more soon.

RobMason 08-25-2012 04:25 PM

Don - eagerly awaiting the Flying Machine. Was a member of ORCAfor years and always enjoyed your performances at the picnics. Say hi to Ron and the guys there.

Rob Mason

flyingmachine 08-26-2012 04:37 AM

Glad things are moving forward, happy to be a part of the movement...........

Condor060 09-11-2012 08:34 AM

Should have new info in the next few days as to shipping dates on the FM guys.

pmarkey 09-11-2012 09:28 AM

Have the ARF prices been finalized?

Condor060 09-11-2012 10:35 AM

The new Flying Machine (covered) will be $239.95.

vpresley 09-11-2012 11:03 AM

ARC price ??

Condor060 09-11-2012 11:06 AM

We looked at uncovered pricing. Its just not worth it. It only takes these girls about an hour to cover an aircraft. The price difference is 10 bucks.

RC MANIAC119 09-11-2012 11:56 AM

I'm guessing that this $239.95 price point might be a bit high.........[:o]

screamrp 09-11-2012 12:27 PM

Price , Not at all high. !! //Would you rather build it yourself which takes at least 70 hours, or just open the box and it's beautiful. !! Even a YAK is 180.00, and that's NO Flying Machine. !! You get what you pay for, and if you want the best it's really worth 250.00 if I was the one selling it. Keep in mind, I have never sold a USED Flying Machine for less than 200.00 stripped of all hardware. // Priced perfect CONDOR !! Thanks for bringing it to the market. !! SCREAMRP Yes I'm buying one too. !! But mine will be Electric. !! - The King of Scream</p>

Condor060 09-11-2012 12:50 PM

I'm afriad it is what it is. If we want a hands on designed Don Muddiman FM with: Aircraft grade plywood in all the high stress areas, Built to Don's Standards (not Hobby King), Fully webbed wing construction built to survive 41G maneuvers, Upgraded hardwood 4 bolt wing mounts in an ARF with all of the hardware, Then we have to do the math.

The average time to construct an FM over any ARF of its equal size is 3.2 hours longer and every one of them have to be identical and to Don's EXACT standards. This doesn't sound like much to us but in the grand scheme of things (as far as factory building is concerned) its huge.
Balsa is up 28%
These have to be built in a dye to get them perfect every time. No hand building construction (which is quicker) will work.

Originally I was shooting for pricing in the $190 range and in our first prototypes we were quoted a price that would accomodate this but the factory soon found out that their way of building this kit wasn't going to pass muster. This is why it took 11 months of prototypes (just on my end) to get to the final product that Don would sign off on.

This is (without question) the most sophisticated ARF EVER designed or even attempted. There were other factories that we gave the opportunity to build it that simply gave up or admitted this project was way out of their ability to complete to Don's specs. As a matter of fact, 5 years ago, this ARF wasn't possible. I think East RC found out it was just not going to be within reason to build the FM as the final price would make it unsellable.

But I will admit this. If East RC hadn't put fourth the effort in providing their final prototype, we wouldn't be here today. Thats just the facts. Most of the factories we visited wouldn't even attempt this project for the same reasons. The final price would just be too high or it wasn't in thier current skill base to make it and ARF.

I only offer this information not as an excuse for the FM pricing but more of an understanding as to WHATSINTHEBOX.

I hope you guys enjoy the final product as it has been a gut wrenching task but in the end, very much worth it.

After 38 years of knowing Don and flying with him, we finally have the worlds only ARF Flying Machine.

Condor060 09-11-2012 12:55 PM

I forgot one thing, We developed the cowl so you could cut it out for any engine you might want to install or not cut it out for electric versions. I can't wait to see what you guys are going to do with electric setups.

Dave McDonald 09-11-2012 02:39 PM

So how do we order a FM ARF?

Condor060 09-11-2012 02:44 PM

Just go to www.GetMyFM.com and register.

ovationdave 09-11-2012 05:05 PM

I am just curious but did the final Flying Machine ARF end up with a built-up wing or a foam wing like my original kit had? The short kit I am building now has a built up wing (will be CF reienforced of course), but I was thinking of cutting a foam wing for it.

Looking forward to the ARF, I will probably pick one up in the spring, but FYI............even for $10 less, I would like to have a FM ARC!

Thanks,

Dave</p>

ovationdave 09-11-2012 05:07 PM

I think you just inadvertently immasculated every one of us that spends hours of tedious effortcovering a plane.

;-)

Dave

ORIGINAL: Condor060

We looked at uncovered pricing. Its just not worth it. It only takes these girls about an hour to cover an aircraft. The price difference is 10 bucks.

Dave McDonald 09-11-2012 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Condor060

Just go to www.GetMyFM.com and register.

Did that over a year ago.

So what's the next step?

Condor060 09-11-2012 07:29 PM

If you saw these girls cover an FM in an hour, it would make you sick. They have 4 irons at different temps, a huge selection of different hobby knives, and a felt covered table about waist high. They can roll through some covering. To top it off, I have been covering airplanes 30 years and I can't do a better job in the 15 hours it would take me.

If you have already registered we have your information. When the FMs are on the boat and we have the shipping manifest meaning they will be in port in two weeks then you can purchase your aircraft. The first order is for 500. We have 293 registered customers with 411 sold. This is just from this forum alone. The FM is not being advertised anywhere else until after every current subscriber to the Get My FM website is given the chance to purchase their order.

We will send out an email to every registered user to the website and post here on the forum letting you guys know they are ready for purchase. After one week we will open the marketing for outside sales.

We know this container will be sold out prior to arrival but I want to make sure that every person who followed this forum gets first right to purchase their FM. We will have another container filled and shipped about 60 days behind the first one. THis way we should have enough to last us through Chinese new year. I would like to have 200 in stock at any given time but this is a global aircraft so I don't really have a clue as to what sales are going to be.

First things first. The loyal FM guys have to get theirs first.

mrsand 09-12-2012 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

I am just curious but did the final Flying Machine ARF end up with a built-up wing or a foam wing like my original kit had? The short kit I am building now has a built up wing (will be CF reienforced of course), but I was thinking of cutting a foam wing for it.

Looking forward to the ARF, I will probably pick one up in the spring, but FYI............even for $10 less, I would like to have a FM ARC!

Thanks,

Dave</p>

Condor060,

I pre-registered a long time ago.....I am trying to get that re-confirmed..thank you.

Mr.Sand

Condor060 09-12-2012 10:44 AM

Yeah Dave, I have you registered. As far as the wing goes, It is not foam. It is a full built up wing.