RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Don Muddiman Flying Machine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8015992-don-muddiman-flying-machine.html)

jrwayne 10-03-2008 03:42 PM

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Has anyone seen or know someone selling the Flying Machine kit? Have been searching for quite sometime now with no luck.

firstplaceaviator 10-03-2008 04:31 PM

RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

As far as I know, no one is currently kitting the Flying Machine. But! Look [link=http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=projects.htm/SID=1219101673.24797]here[/link] :D An ARF is coming!!!

Don still sells plans too! Mine were scratch built, one was powered with an HB .40 and the other had a Webra Speed 40 with a tuned pipe. They were both great performers, but the Webra powered one was insanely fast and agile.:D

[link=http://www.eagle-i.us/fm/]The Flying Machine[/link]

i have built two Flying Machines, and have been wanting to build another for a couple of years now. For those who have never seen Don Muddiman's demo, you are missing out! The Flying Machine is one of the most impressive aircraft ever created!

jrwayne 10-03-2008 04:43 PM

I was told an ARF was coming. Not sure if overall strength will be there. Plus I have my own color design in mind. I must agree, it is one of the greatest planes I've witnessed to date. GOT TO HAVE ONE!!!!!!!! Got a nice Dub Jett 40 with performance pipe just waiting to find a home. Thanks for the response.

daven 10-03-2008 05:52 PM

I was in a hobby store just outside of Milwaukee last year, and they had quite a few older kits on the shelves, including a Flying Machine.

I was going to buy it, just didn't get around to it. May still be available, the hobby store was called "Happy Hobby", maybe they will ship???

firstplaceaviator 10-03-2008 06:18 PM

Not sure if overall strength will be there.
Send them an E-mail, and see if they can sell you a kit, or an ARC! Ya never know, unless you ask.;)

jrwayne 10-04-2008 11:36 AM

Thanks Dave, I will check with them as soon as I'm off work.

East RC 12-23-2008 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope everyone is having a nice Holiday Season! Here are a few pics of the first round prototypes of Flying Machine ARF's. Don and the East R/C gang will test on these to look for areas of weakness that need to be changed before a full production run begins. We should have these on the market by Summer 09'.

East RC 12-23-2008 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more photos :)

firstplaceaviator 12-23-2008 01:13 PM

Oh my God... Oh my God... Oh my God!!! Put me at the front of the line!!! When do I get mine??? :D:D Need any "testers"??? I will volunteer to break, er I mean test fly them for you! I can't wait till summer, must have one NOW![>:]
Thanks,
Doug

Oh yeah, they look GREAT!!!

East RC 12-23-2008 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.... :)

firstplaceaviator 12-23-2008 06:13 PM

East RC, you're killing me!!! What's it going to take to get one to me NOW???;)

Tweek 12-26-2008 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator
East RC, you're killing me!!! What's it going to take to get one to me NOW???;)
Probably around $20k :-) . Seriously, these are from a pre-production batch we're testing, using to write manuals, and flesh out any final bugs. Hopefully this will be the last units prior to production, so we can get these out by summer (or maybe before). It's a slow and costly process, but we're nearing the end of this journey.

I just uploaded more pics and info about this airplane project at: http://www.eastrc.org/estoreflyingmachine.htm

Dave

firstplaceaviator 12-26-2008 07:24 AM

Probably around $20k :-)
Awe man...[&o] So... You're telling me that I have to wait? Ok... tic toc tic toc... Is it summer yet?:D

Well, I guess that gives me time to save for a Jett 40L[8D]

Tweek 12-26-2008 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

Probably around $20k :-)
Awe man...[&o] So... You're telling me that I have to wait? Ok... tic toc tic toc... Is it summer yet?:D

Well, I guess that gives me time to save for a Jett 40L[8D]
That'll take it for a ride :-)
Dave

Dave McDonald 01-04-2009 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SUBSCRIBED!!!!

I want to get on the list for a Flying Machine ARF too!

I LOVED my dearly departed Flying Machine!

I've been wanting to see what a Webra 50 in a Flying Machine would do. With an ARF available, I finally might get to find out!

Mode One 01-04-2009 07:24 AM

I saw Don Fly his Flying Machine at the Byron Originals "Striking Back" show in 1990 and purchased plans at that time. I have yet to build one; but, will some day! Tweek, I think an ARF is an excellent Idea! I'd like to be kept in the loop, also. Any idea on price? Hows about a kit version?

How does this airplane fly in comparason to the current wave of small, supposedly 3D planes? On my G-3.5 I find the profile planes to touchy in roll, for my liking. I had a couple "The HOTS" and this was a great airplane. I believe the Flying Machine is supposed to be even better thean The HOTS! Any input appreciated!

Tweek 01-04-2009 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Mode One
Any idea on price? Hows about a kit version?
I don't have pricing info at this time. I know what the pre-production prototypes cost, but with the foreign manufacturing/import market changing like it is, I won't know for sure until all of the production changes are made and we place the order. I'll post info on this as soon as I have it.

Also, we won't be making any kits at this time. We've asked the factory about this on several occasions prior for other aircraft we've had built, and the kit price was less than $10 different from the built price. Crazy, but that's the way it is. I'm assuming the cost of labor and covering is practically nothing in China...though that may change as well.

How does this airplane fly in comparason to the current wave of small, supposedly 3D planes?
I've logged many years on the HOTS & FM, and the FM is hands down my favorite. The FM will do the same stuff the HOTS will, but has a much wider speed and aerobatic envelope than the HOTS. Don't get me wrong, the HOTS is a fantastic airplane, but I started flying the FM around '86 and fell in love with it.

Dave

Mode One 01-04-2009 01:33 PM

Thanks Dave! How about in comparason to the profile planes for 3D, which seem to be so popular now like the Mojo or profile Extras, Edges etc...?

Dave McDonald 01-04-2009 11:36 PM

How about in comparason to the profile planes for 3D, which seem to be so popular now like the Mojo or profile Extras, Edges etc...?
I don't consider the 3D profiles and the Flying Machine to be in the same class. Sort of like comparing a sailplane to a Quickee 500. Both are fun to fly, but just not the same.

The 3D profiles are extremely maneuverable at super slow speeds. Up close and on the deck maneuvers at super slow airspeeds are what makes them fun.

The Flying Machine is more like an extremely maneuverable Q-500. Very fast speeds, and lightening quick maneuvers at 100+ mph. (mine was radared at 125 mph with an OS 46VF) For a more detailed description visit my Flying Machine web page at http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/flyingmachine.htm

Mode One 01-05-2009 07:12 AM

I didn't think they were in the same class. I wonder whether people will be attracted to the FM, when/if they learn it is, what would now be considered, an old design? They will be compairing it to 3D planes, as that is what is the rage now. This is more what my point was about; but, I didn't do a very good job making.

I've had a couple of The HOTS, I like these types of planes, however I started in 1969. What I like and what the younger folks like, are two different things. Not trying to rain on your parade and I feel the younger people need to try this type of plane, also. However, everyone is so 3D nuts now!

Tweek 01-05-2009 09:31 AM

I didn't think they were in the same class. I wonder whether people will be attracted to the FM, when/if they learn it is, what would now be considered, an old design? They will be compairing it to 3D planes, as that is what is the rage now. This is more what my point was about; but, I didn't do a very good job making.

I've had a couple of The HOTS, I like these types of planes, however I started in 1969. What I like and what the younger folks like, are two different things. Not trying to rain on your parade and I feel the younger people need to try this type of plane, also. However, everyone is so 3D nuts now!
That's a good question, and I'll give you my perspective. We run a hobby shop, and the small 3-D stuff has been going down somewhat in interest over the last year or so. Sales on Sport, Warbirds, and Vintage is up. The trends are changing, and this has also been mirrored by our suppliers and what they're seeing in the marketplace. We already have a waiting list on the FM larger than anything else we've sold, and are getting calls/emails nearly every day about it. Time will tell, but I don't think we'll have any trouble moving the first manufacturing batch.

Dave

Dave McDonald 01-05-2009 12:02 PM

I think there is still enough of a demand out there to justify ARFing the Flying Machine. But I suspect customer base is going to mostly be made up of those who have been in RC long enough to have personally seen Don Muddiman perform with his Flying Machine. Those who haven't seen Don fly won't really have a clue about what sets a Flying Machine apart from the crowd, unless they've personally witnessed someone else wringing out a Flying Machine.

firstplaceaviator 01-05-2009 07:48 PM

But I suspect customer base is going to mostly be made up of those who have been in RC long enough to have personally seen Don Muddiman perform with his Flying Machine.
I completely agree. When I saw Don flying his at the Byron Expo, I was dumbfounded! His demo left me wanting one so badly that I had to have one! I bought a set of plans and cut a kit from them in my high school shop class. Had I never seen it fly, I probably wouldn't have bought one based on it's looks. If you really want to sell a bunch of them, you need a [link=http://www.higherplaneproductions.com/]Higher Plane Productions[/link] quality video of Don doing his thing on your website. I will be happy to help make it go viral for you!:D

Mode One 01-06-2009 06:49 AM

Firstplaceaviator said: "I will be happy to help make it go viral for you"! Never heard this expression before, what do you mean?

firstplaceaviator 01-06-2009 07:46 AM

Never heard this expression before, what do you mean?

A viral video is a video clip that gains widespread popularity through the process of Internet sharing, typically through email or Instant messaging, blogs and other media sharing websites.
[8D]

Mode One 01-06-2009 05:28 PM

O.K.

rod5011 01-06-2009 10:47 PM

i purchased a progressive aviation kit on ebay last year and will be building it next after my current project.also lazer works in witchita falls,texas is currently laser cutting a short kit for it they did a small 25inch micro version for me for my micro dan speed electric motor.

Dave McDonald 01-06-2009 10:53 PM

Rod,
Just curious, but did you buy a Flying Machine because you've already seen one fly? If not, what made you decide to buy a FM?

rod5011 01-06-2009 10:57 PM

Flying Machine-this is the price for the short kit from www.lazer-works.com
$51.18

By: Don Muddiman

Wingspan: 44 in.

.32/.53 2 Stroke

4 ch radio

rod5011 01-06-2009 11:03 PM

i saw mac hodges from andersonville ga fly one in the early 90's and it did all the stuff don could do with his when i saw the dead stop blurr of a snap and the sound it made was when i said I WANT ONEand never bought one until i saw one in kit form from progressive aviation on ebay and bid till i won it. but now you can get the short kit without the sticks eddie just cuts the hard parts out basically the parts from the plans templates from dons new cad plan set.

rod5011 01-06-2009 11:07 PM

oh by the way look on the misc page on lazer works web site that is where you can find the fm thier is no pic but trust me i have been dealing with these guys for a while and they do the best laser work around BAR NONE they have cut over a dozen kits for me whatever you want they can do any size

Dave McDonald 01-06-2009 11:08 PM

So is there anyone out there that wants a Flying Machine who has never seen a Flying Machine fly? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Tweek 01-06-2009 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

So is there anyone out there that wants a Flying Machine who has never seen a Flying Machine fly? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
I don't know what the answer to that is, but we have a pretty long waiting list for the ARF version now. Maybe they have all seen'm fly, who knows. Kinda doesn't matter, once more of them are in the field and folks see what it can do, more will probably want to grab one. I've talked with the factory again to see what we can do on unbuilt wood kits...I'll see where that goes.

Dave

rod5011 01-06-2009 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not trying to get off the fm subject but the miss martha by bob richards is as close to the fm in flight i just finished one and it does all the same stuff but i had highly moded it to do so here are some pics i hope i uploaded them right

Tweek 01-06-2009 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rod5011

not trying to get off the fm subject but the miss martha by bob richards is as close to the fm in flight i just finished one and it does all the same stuff but i had highly moded it to do so here are some pics i hope i uploaded them right
Yep, it's bad. It was one of the hot funfly birds back in the day. I fly with Bob on a regular basis. A few folks have asked about kitting it, and Bob and I have been talking about giving it a few updates and maybe ARFing it.

Dude, that's one sick covering scheme! Looks great!

Dave

rod5011 01-06-2009 11:41 PM

i recently have added ceramic bearings to the engine which is an asp super red head,macs header and unmuffled pipe,dual ailerons,i shortened the ailerons leaving 1 1/2inches on the trailing tips to stop the flutter it was known to have wrapped double layer heavy fiberglass cloth around the wing bolt down block down into the fuse sides with epoxy to keep the wing from coming off on high speed snaps.i can do a full throttle verticle dive into a flat snap with no problems may post video soon...oh by the way i was probably one of the guys who asked bob about kitting the m martha because i wanted to.i am working with a china company now on arfing a 1/6th scale 96inch fiesler storch.

Tweek 01-06-2009 11:59 PM

Man, that Storch is one cool old bird. Other than seeing them in the mags, I've never seen an actual model of one.

Dave

rod5011 01-07-2009 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of the prototype i recieved from the china company i had to change alot and i mean alot of things on it to make it right i am almost done with it but this is only the first one hope the cost doesnt kill the project i had sticker shock when they qoated me the 1st prototype.

Tweek 01-07-2009 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: rod5011

here are some pics of the prototype i recieved from the china company i had to change alot and i mean alot of things on it to make it right i am almost done with it but this is only the first one hope the cost doesnt kill the project i had sticker shock when they qoated me the 1st prototype.

Sure looks good! Yeah, it does cost a lot, and take a lot of time to get everything right. We've found it takes us about a year from prototype to production, to get the kinks worked out and ready to go. It costs a load for the prototypes, and you'll have to pass those back and forth a bit to get everything like you want for production...then production requires a substantial investment in addition.

Dave

rod5011 01-07-2009 12:33 AM

so when about is the release on the jerrys spoiler due? alot of guys in my club want one