RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Sepulveda Basin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/839955-sepulveda-basin.html)

BasinBum 04-30-2012 04:58 PM

RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: rcphotog

I hear that the ''rude-squadron'' has all but disapeared. Allways spectacular crashes with those guys.:)

T-Bone's eye sight was going bad several years ago and I figured that ment the end of the rude squadron was inevitable. As much as it sucked trying to fly when they went up it was always fun to watch and they did have a good time together. They certainly did add to the flavor of the place.

One of my proudest moments was when I built the Sig Kadet Senior with bombay doors specifically to drop old french fries from Panos (gathered from the work benches) on the the warbird guys out on the runway.

bass0matic 05-02-2012 10:43 AM

wow! nothing rude about those guys they still hang out there and help people. they just don't fly as much. I ran into Banjo Bill recently in Culver City and he told me he's putting together a Dago red with a 115 so he should be flying soon. Also, as I work at Robin's Hobby, I recently found out that Ken (the instructor) I can't remember his last name..it's french and begins with a "B". anyway, he's now in a retirement home in Northridge.

rare_bear 05-09-2012 07:17 PM

with the way the tables are now oriented,
i saw some guy launch his electric plane right off the tabletop last weekend....
like it was taking off from an aircraft carrier deck.

of course, nobody was there that early in the morning so who cares.

hey basin bum, nice to see you.
what are you doing with all your free time now that you are out of the hobby?

BasinBum 05-10-2012 05:11 AM

Hey Paul,
Still building stuff. It just doesn't crash.

[link=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdragin/]Some of my work.[/link]

Hill202 05-10-2012 05:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Hey Paul,
Still building stuff. It just doesn't crash.

[link=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdragin/]Some of my work.[/link]
Impressive, very nice work!

saramos 05-10-2012 01:13 PM

Really nice stuff!

solo 1963 05-12-2012 09:14 AM

Very nice work, Richard.

rare_bear 05-12-2012 05:04 PM

very nice work Richard.

Kmot 05-13-2012 10:20 AM

Oh yeah, those rockers are awesome! :D

Makes me think of Mel Gibson in "The Patriot" when he kept trying to make a rocker and would sit in it and it would collapse. :)

mr_matt 05-17-2012 08:53 AM

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is asking for help, they could loose their field. Solidarity here is good karma.

Our club in the San Francisco Bay Area is being evicted by the Parks Department. As you can imagine, being California, the Parks Department is broke, but they can find 8 million dollars to create a swamp to save the red legged frog or something like it. What we are trying is to let us keep our site and coexist with any development they might want to do. There are examples all over the country that show this is feasible, like Markham Park and Santa Clara (Tomcats)

In order to achieve this, we were adviced by AMA to try to create as much community support as possible

So here is where we need your help: please follow this link and sign the petition to the parks department to not evict us.

https://www.change.org/petitions/gen...n-the-bay-area

Your support is appreciated even if you are not from the Bay Area. This could be happening at your field...

Thanks a lot for your support, and please spread the petition around. Put it in your facebook page and send it to your club's mailing list.

Phat Reliant 05-17-2012 11:03 AM

Signed [8D]

GoeKeli 05-21-2012 05:03 PM

Signed Matt!!
Wicked chairs Richard! I wish I could buy them all.

MikeRuth 07-16-2012 03:49 PM

Anyone know who had the Jet that went down and started a fire today?>
Looks like a pretty decent burn!
Mike R

After Reading this article it almost seems as though the pilot may have vacated the premisises, LOL
[link]http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_21086772/grass-fire-at-sepulveda-dam-area-van-nuys[/link]

mr_matt 07-16-2012 05:04 PM

Wasn't me!

Billy 07-16-2012 05:06 PM

Wasn't me neither!!!

Kmot 07-16-2012 05:25 PM

So that's what all the smoke was from! It made it all the way up to CSUN area. [X(]

eddieC 07-16-2012 05:42 PM

Nope!  :)

scale only 4 me 07-17-2012 10:11 AM

80 firefighters??
You turbine guys will get that field shut down yet, First car or structure or God forbid Person gets burned, it's bye bye Basin

bass0matic 07-17-2012 10:51 AM

jets need to be banned!

eddieC 07-17-2012 11:20 AM

80 firefighters??  
On 10 acres. They must've been holding hands!  :D

I'm sure the Basin directors are handling this, they don't need us peanut gallery types chiming in.  Same risks with Lipo or other electrics. Even a nitro or gasser could start a fire given the wrong circumstances.

bass0matic 07-17-2012 11:33 AM

true on that, but not likely. nitro, gas and lipo don't spray kerosene everywhere and have an open flame engine.

scale only 4 me 07-17-2012 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

80 firefighters??
On 10 acres. They must've been holding hands! :D

I'm sure the Basin directors are handling this, they don't need us peanut gallery types chiming in. Same risks with Lipo or other electrics. Even a nitro or gasser could start a fire given the wrong circumstances.
It's OK for you and others to make a joke about it though?

Could, yes, and there have been a few that were small enough to be stomped out by foot, but this is the what the 7th or 8th time the fire department has had to put out a turbine fire in the last 5-6 years,, In 50 years of gas, glow and electric flying there I don't remember the fire department coming out to put out a fire before turbines hit the scene.

I may move back to CA in a few years, I hope the field is still open..

eddieC 07-17-2012 02:05 PM

Dude, I was joking about the # of firemen. Chill.

I was quite serious about letting their folks handle it. You're in OH, I'm in MI. It's not our business to get worked up about. Take care of OH biz, I'll fret about MI biz. OK?  We average 2 Lipo fires at our field a year, and they're hard enough to put out. I don't want some granola-chewin', tree-huggin', whale-savin' hippies (not that there's anything wrong with them) watchin' over my club every time we set fire to the swamp out back.

As I said, their directors seem very capable. Wish we had a couple of 'em in our club. [8D]

Live Wire 07-17-2012 02:30 PM

+1

scale only 4 me 07-17-2012 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Dude, I was joking about the # of firemen. Chill.

I was quite serious about letting their folks handle it. You're in OH, I'm in MI. It's not our business to get worked up about. Take care of OH biz, I'll fret about MI biz. OK? We average 2 Lipo fires at our field a year, and they're hard enough to put out. I don't want some granola-chewin', tree-huggin', whale-savin' hippies (not that there's anything wrong with them) watchin' over my club every time we set fire to the swamp out back.

As I said, their directors seem very capable. Wish we had a couple of 'em in our club. [8D]
I lived in LA for the First 43 years of my life, I flew there for about 20 of those years. I still consider that my home field, and like I said before, I plan to move back some day. I do have a vested interest. You have no idea what a Circus that place can be unless you've lived there. So I'll give my opinion, you can like it or not.