RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Sepulveda Basin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/839955-sepulveda-basin.html)

porcia83 10-26-2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ehelibuff (Post 12118386)
Yes, last week I was there and the VP of the club Mike Stoner was out there flying a jet with some people and flew over my head, as well as a few others at about 180mph two times. Had to be about 10ft over my head! I asked not to do that, and why they needed to fly over other pilots? He said if I don't like it, I can fly somewhere else... He was the most arrogant and unprofessional person I've ever seen out there in a long time. He wasn't even sorry. There's no excuse ever to do things like that.
This past Wednesday, the Brazilian pylon racing team was there practicing for a race at Whittier, and they were flying over the pits, parking lot and heli area with the Q40's all day long. This nonsense is what is going to be the death of the flying field and possible a few humans if this continues. I don't think AMA would approve of the VP thinking this is totally acceptable behavior. Lots of others were there complaining too, but fell on deaf ears. Benny Elkouby is the Pres. of the club, and he didn't do anything about it either. The club is upside down with their logic and management. Everyone talks about regulation and safety, yet the 2 top guys are the biggest violators of them all. The other day, Benny allowed some jet guys drive their truck through the open field, which is a wildlife reserve. He has no authority to give that permission. Yet, it's going on.

That is really scary, and pretty disappointing to hear. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that area. And at a time when the hobby is facing additional scrutiny, and even more so in some parts of CA.

If the leadership of the club accepts that behavior, I would hope the membership doesn't follow suit. I don't suppose there is anything you can really do about it either. Might take a bad accident ( knock on balsa that never happens ) or a significant drop in membership before they see the error of their ways. Are either of those two people you mentioned part of RCU?

Silent-AV8R 10-26-2015 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12118388)
Well I guess if they are the same way about flying to high as well as over people, then you guy's can kiss your club goodbuy. I believe this is in LA county right?

The park is in an LA City Park. The Whittier Narrows Field is in an LA County Park. The land at both places is under the control of the Corps of Engineers who lease the land to the respective park departments.

BTW - the field at Sepulveda Basin is an odd situation. It is in an LA CIty Park. The City does not require AMA membership to fly there, nor are any clubs in actual control of the flying field.

Sport_Pilot 10-26-2015 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R (Post 12118562)
The park is in an LA City Park. The Whittier Narrows Field is in an LA County Park. The land at both places is under the control of the Corps of Engineers who lease the land to the respective park departments.

BTW - the field at Sepulveda Basin is an odd situation. It is in an LA CIty Park. The City does not require AMA membership to fly there, nor are any clubs in actual control of the flying field.

Good point I should have said field not club. A club could find another field, but I doubt they could in LA county, except maybe on top of a mountain.

Silent-AV8R 10-26-2015 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12118665)
Good point I should have said field not club. A club could find another field, but I doubt they could in LA county, except maybe on top of a mountain.

There are others, but not many.

The Basin is well known to VNY airport and since it is in a City operated park there is an implicit understanding between the two entities, since both are essentially run by City departments. The Basin is over 7 miles from Bob Hope, so no issues there.

fw190 10-26-2015 10:53 PM

I am very surprised to hear the jets are flying over your head? The runway is at least 20 yards from the pits, unless your standing over the runway. This is what is so great about the Basin, the runway is as far as possible from the pits. Before I fly I typically look who is flying... sometimes knowing who the flyer is predicts if I want to be in harms way... that is the Basin for you.

Silent-AV8R 10-27-2015 06:05 AM

Just for the record at the Basin the edge of the runway 215 feet (~72 yards) from the front edge of the pits and almost 250 feet from where most people are set up in the pits. The pilot's station's are about 25 feet back from the edge of the runway.

fw190 10-27-2015 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R (Post 12118765)
Just for the record at the Basin the edge of the runway 215 feet (~72 yards) from the front edge of the pits and almost 250 feet from where most people are set up in the pits. The pilot's station's are about 25 feet back from the edge of the runway.

Cool thanks for the info!

I do not fly jets but I do fly giant scale warbirds at the basin and I rarely ever put my planes up when a turbine is in the air. If they do come out while I am flying, I typically land as soon as they take off. Putting yourself out there and then calling out names is not the way to go! IMHO.

scale only 4 me 10-27-2015 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R (Post 12118683)
There are others, but not many.

The Basin is well known to VNY airport and since it is in a City operated park there is an implicit understanding between the two entities, since both are essentially run by City departments. The Basin is over 7 miles from Bob Hope, so no issues there.

Actually,, the Basin and VNY is a great example of an airport and RC model field coexisting, the Full scale planes take off and landing paths are north of the model park,, in 50 years there's never been any problems living next to each other. Every once in a while some hot rod veers left on take off and goes over the rc fields airspace,, his mistake, doesn't happen often at all.

Silent-AV8R 10-27-2015 02:30 PM

When I was an AVP for this area the only times I'd heard of conflicts with manned aircraft was when helicopters, especially news helis, operating out of VNY would come over the field low and fast. But like you said, a good example of peaceful coexistence. Another is the PVMAC field in Prado Regional Park. Just under 3 miles from both Chino and Corona airports. Both know the RC field is there, and in fact, it is noted on the FAA sectional chart.

Bob93447 12-04-2015 08:48 PM

The LA city council passed a motion that was intended to ban all RC flying within 5 miles of any airport. VNY is less than 5 miles away. The motion was to become law if the mayor signed. I've been out of town. What happened?

scale only 4 me 12-05-2015 11:45 AM

I think you misrepresent the intention of the law passed,,
If this is the ordnance you refer to, I believe the Model Park does have permission to operate.,, I was there 2 weeks ago and guys were flying just fine

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...2_12-02-15.pdf

Bob93447 12-05-2015 07:11 PM

I am only paraphrasing what I read, which could be wrong. On the other hand, the mayor may not have signed yet, in which case it won't be law until he does sign. Hopefully some rationale thought will prevail.

TEAMERICA 12-05-2015 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe you didn't get page 4.
But that certainly looks like the Mayor's signature right there.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2134183

mr_matt 12-06-2015 08:09 AM

Tom is right, the law requires an agreement with the airport when operating within 5 miles. The LA City Recs and Parks runs the field as a model airplane field (just like LAWA runs the airports for the city), not a club.

The law is going after others, not users of the field.

BTW what is interesting is FPV is now illegal in LA City.

Bob93447 12-06-2015 10:04 AM

Can anyone post a link to the full text of the law? All I have seen has been news reports which seem to distort the content and intent.

saramos 12-06-2015 10:29 AM

Post 8961 has the full text linked

scale only 4 me 12-06-2015 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bob93447 (Post 12137332)
Can anyone post a link to the full text of the law? All I have seen has been news reports which seem to distort the content and intent.

does this help you

Also, this ordnance is redundant to FAA regulations already in place for several years now as far as how it applies use of RC aircraft, essentially the law has no new affect on most of us. Now for FPV drone guys,, that a different story

Sport_Pilot 12-06-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12137355)
does this help you

Also, this ordnance is redundant to FAA regulations already in place for several years now as far as how it applies use of RC aircraft, essentially the law has no new affect on most of us. Now for FPV drone guys,, that a different story

Except of course it makes it a crime, and you can go to jail, just for misjudging your altitude.

Bob93447 12-06-2015 10:16 PM

And you can go to jail for flying a U-control aircraft within 5 miles of the airport.

scale only 4 me 12-07-2015 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12137583)
Except of course it makes it a crime, and you can go to jail, just for misjudging your altitude.

Jail?? it's a Misdemeanor,, you'd get a fine,,

Originally Posted by Bob93447 (Post 12137601)
And you can go to jail for flying a U-control aircraft within 5 miles of the airport.

Seriously?

Sport_Pilot 12-07-2015 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12137639)
Jail?? it's a Misdemeanor,, you'd get a fine,,

Seriously?

A misdemeanor means you can get jail time. This is not an infraction like a speeding ticket. The FAA would treat it like an infraction.

scale only 4 me 12-07-2015 05:16 AM

Could you? sure, will you? I think never,,
Be realistic,,Lets say you do get caught breaking this law in Los Angeles, I guarantee you all you'll get is a notice to appear,, there is no way a Cop is going to drag you in and book you for this nonsense unless there is some more serious crime related to the activity.

Sport_Pilot 12-07-2015 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12137659)
Could you? sure, will you? I think never,,
Be realistic,,Lets say you do get caught breaking this law in Los Angeles, I guarantee you all you'll get is a notice to appear,, there is no way a Cop is going to drag you in and book you for this nonsense unless there is some more serious crime related to the activity.

Most likely you will get hauled in and booked, that is common with a misdemeanor. Then you would be released with a notice to pay a fine or appear before a judge. If you cannot pay the fine you would go to jail. Or the judge could rule for you to go to jail or serve a community service. This does not happen with infractions unless you accumulate enough unpaid tickets, but that is often a misdemeanor itself.

scale only 4 me 12-07-2015 06:24 AM

Most likely you will get hauled in and booked, that is common with a misdemeanor
Maybe there in the Suburbs of Atlanta,, but In LA,, not very likely,,

MOF, that anyone will ever be charged with this law is highly unlikely unless they cause some sort of accident or serious invasion of privacy or trespass ,, this is one of those laws for Lawyers and Insurance companies,,, You cause an accident,,, oops, you were breaking the law,, no Liability insurance pay out for you,, just like the cell/texting while driving laws, nearly impossible to enforce, but something bad happens, you're screwgied.

Sport_Pilot 12-07-2015 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 12137697)
Maybe there in the Suburbs of Atlanta,, but In LA,, not very likely,,

MOF, that anyone will ever be charged with this law is highly unlikely unless they cause some sort of accident or serious invasion of privacy or trespass ,, this is one of those laws for Lawyers and Insurance companies,,, You cause an accident,,, oops, you were breaking the law,, no Liability insurance pay out for you,, just like the cell/texting while driving laws, nearly impossible to enforce, but something bad happens, you're screwgied.

I don't think you understand what a misdemeanor is. These are supposed to be serious crimes. Hit and run (with no injury or death to people), petty theft, shoplifting, etc. This is usually not treated the same as a traffic ticket.