RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Sepulveda Basin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/839955-sepulveda-basin.html)

BasinBum 05-20-2004 05:39 PM

RE: Sepulveda Basin

ORIGINAL: outssider
2...it's going to weigh close to 500 pounds including the weight of the drum itself...we'll need a way to get it into a cradle so it lies horizontally with a tap on the bottom. (maybe a ramp, we could roll it up onto a cradle)
Then there is always that thing called a PUMP. You really don't want to have that thing sitting on it's side, leaks, earthquakes etc.

Paul has a better idea with a case, once open airplane fuel tends to lose nitro faster than you might think. I'd also be surprised if the company was willing to ship to a residential address.

David Cutler 05-20-2004 05:47 PM

If it's any help, I have a dozen or so empty cans, and I bet it wouldn't take long to collect a lot from the garbage cans at the site. There are always a few empty cans in those.

-David C.

rare_bear 05-20-2004 06:42 PM

richard & all,

why don't i call magnum fuel tomorrow and get the scoop? i'll find out if they ship it to a residential addy for the "basin-bum (tm) flying club"

i don't see how they would tell the difference anyways on a street address.

at $48 a case, that's still a sweet deal over retail - and you don't have to worry about pumping from a drum and then having the fuel stored in already opened (unsealed) jugs/cans, let alone moving a 500 pound container.

if i were to order 16 cases, sh*t, i would just keep 4 for myself because of the amount of flying i do, i'd go through it in about 7 or 8 months timeframe anyways.

yeah, if i can get the fuel for this cost... hey hey hey.... ys110 here i come! 

outssider 05-21-2004 12:20 PM

Richard ...I like the idea of a pump better....although these drums (I believe) are sealed completely except for a fitting on the top (3" or so hole) where the nozzle goes.

maybe we could pump out the entire 55 gal as soon as we get it (if we have the containers) if we put the cap on the gal. cans tight ...they will be air tight !!

I like the idea of buying the cans at $12 too ! and we can mix-and-match if we buy by the case....which means we are not stuck with all 55 gal of 20/20

rare_bear 05-21-2004 12:42 PM

i just spoke with the guy at magnum fuels.

i told him that 6-8 guys from a flying field are interested in grouping together on an order to get either 16 cases or a drum of ys20/20.

he did not have a problem with this.

i also asked about shipping to a r esidential address. he said that in LA, there might be a problem so here's what we need to do:

is there anyone who works in their own small business who's willing to have the fuel shipped to the commercial business address or knows anyone else willing to use their commercial shipping address?

if we can find a place, then it's a go once the money get's pooled together.

i am willing to make the order.

i do know a guy in santa monoica who has a one-man photography business and i can ask him if we could use his commercial business address. i'm not sure if he's wild about having nitromethane delivered to his place tho.... :D :D :D :D :D but it's a possibility

patterndreamer 05-21-2004 12:55 PM

hey out there, sorry to deviate from the fuel topic, but does anyone know anything about Vic's RC. Im interested in his P-38. First does Vic (Vic's RC not Video Vic) come out to the field often. 2. If I did get it could I substitute the gas engines for a couple of 4 strokes or 2 strokes in the worst case. :D

BasinBum 05-21-2004 02:51 PM

Ron,
The hole is called a bung hole (no joke, that's where the expression comes from) and here is a link to a company that sells pumps
http://www.mascottec.com/pumps.htm

Paul, How much is shipping and are there any other costs such as EPA or fuel tax?

Patterdreamer,
I don't know Vic RC but we could have an entire thread about Video Vic.

rare_bear 05-21-2004 04:54 PM

richard et. al

the cost listed at the magnum fuel website INCLUDES shipping. and there are NO epa, hazmat, interstate taxes, fuel taxes, etc.

ys20/20:

$560 / barrel

$48/case (16 case minimum)

my vote is for cases UNLESS someone can come up with a commercial address to ship the barrel to and the barrel will stay at that address unless someone has a forklift to move the sucker.

the barrel price works out to $10.18/gallon vs. $12/gallon for the cases.

in EITHER CASE, we do need a commercial address to ship it to....... so ask around.

l:eek:

OUHOZER 05-21-2004 10:08 PM

Hi Guy's,
Ron and I have commercial address in Van Nuy's.
Richard we can talk about it on Sunday.
Also Richard did You get my E-mail about the Patty.
Hozer.

garygorf 05-22-2004 01:23 AM

I was at Sepulvada Basin in 1963. There was one R/C frequency (27.255 MHz) and the Amateur Radio guy`s.
We had a super regenerative single channel reciever which was capable of jamming other planes, so it was left off. The experienced guys were the only ones that flew as they operated in concert with each other. I never flew there because of that, but the spectacle was worth the trip from Pomona. Somehow, with only one frequency available, no one ever shot anyone down. Crowd contol wasn`t a problem, as most people were in awe of the planes and pilots. I don`t believe the term "midair" was invented until much later.

I`ve been following this thread, and it would be fun to revisit the place someday.

Still sounds like a fun place.

Gary

KFalcon 05-22-2004 08:32 AM

Any one going out there today?

taildraggerdave 05-22-2004 09:13 AM

Of Course....................I'm out the door right now. See you there.

scubyfan 05-22-2004 04:30 PM

I'll be there tomorrow, I think. :)

taildraggerdave 05-22-2004 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No warbird race for me. Going to try a couple different props and I couldn't get it to go past half throttle. Took the valve covers off and found this. Hmmm, now I know why it deadsticked on the last flight. Maybe there is a YS in my future.

rare_bear 05-22-2004 07:02 PM

hmmmm, dave, that sucks.

and being my selfish south end a-hole that i am, i'm glad that i didn't go with a saito120 when i ordered a ys yesterday for my 4* after what you (and the other dave) told me. between you (and the other dave) telling me about th e camshaft gear that got stripped and now a broken valve fulcrum, i'm glad a ys110 is on the way. yesterday, my TT91 finally bit the dust and upon inspection to find out why i was hearing a *whine*, i found tiny glitters of silver color in the oil residue when i took the cam cover off.ˇâ€*

Kmot 05-23-2004 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few shots from the warbird races today at the basin:

Kmot 05-23-2004 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

taildraggerdave 05-23-2004 06:42 PM

Nice photos. I was there for a while. Watched the first few heats. Who won?

Kmot 05-23-2004 07:34 PM

I have no idea. I got there about 10:45 and stated taking pics. A little while later the CD told all spectators to move back to the pits. So I left.

BasinBum 05-23-2004 11:40 PM

Well, well, well....where do I begin?

First off Torey won first place, Billy Edwards second, Sott Manning third and Darren Edwards fourth. The race went really smooth and I have to give Billy M. credit for pulling off a great event. They got in six rounds, there was only one crash (radio lockout while on final) and everybody had a good time. Edwin from Hobby Zone donated some models, engines, fuel and glue for prizes and everyone who entered took something home.

The BIG question of the day was where were the Warbird Guys? They were noticabley absent and not even there as spectators. I think the word that best describes their absence is PATHETIC! They fly around hogging the field with no regard for anyone else and when the field is closed down for the exact type of flying that they do, no show. I'm not sure if they were scared that we'd find out that their not as fast as they think or maybe they wouldn't know when to turn unless T-Bone told them.

Regardless of their reasons for wussing out, they missed a lot of fun and lost a lot of respect.

taildraggerdave 05-23-2004 11:50 PM

OUCH!!!

scubyfan 05-23-2004 11:58 PM

Amen. I went just to see a sky-full of warbirds, so I was pretty disappointed in that regard. Regrardless, fun day. [8D]

Billy 05-24-2004 02:22 AM

Well, I finally joined the thread. I had to join so I could give my 2 cents about the warbird races . I too was at the W.B. races today, if fact I was a pilot. You would think that the warbird ladies on the south end would have showed up to dance. I guess they were feel'n a bit yeller'. There's only one good reason why none of them showed. They didn't want to get SPANKED . I too thought Billy M. put on a respectable show. I personally wasn't going to show but I knew I had to represent the North end. That's my barrio. Yeah, you have to deal with the electric clowns and the curious bystanders who on occasions can't find their way back to whatever festival is over at the park, but for the most part they're good people. That goes for a few even down South who I have befriended. Over the past year I've heard all the bull about the basin and read all the posts. I think It takes a special breed to really call the basin home. I for one feel right at home.
Hey Tory, good racing buddy .You got me. To all those who helped with the races, I thank you, It was a blast. I hope we do this twice a year. To Rex, you know the speed combo setup for the Dago. Of course a little burst of 50% wouldn't hurt....Shhhhhh...don't tell anyone. Hey Richard, you forgot to mention the dude who's plane wouldn't shut off and we had to wait 15 minutes for his 24 ounce tank to drain. That's fun in the sun.
Wow, didn't realize it was so late. See ya'll at the field
The only way to shake'em is take 'em down to the weeds

David Cutler 05-24-2004 02:30 PM

Richard,

Whether what you say is true or not, I do hope this doesn't turn into a 'them 'n us' situation with the North vs South or Warbird vs others.

I get enough of that elsewhere, and would kinda like to retain the haven of RC planes to get away from things like that!

-David C.

BasinBum 05-24-2004 04:18 PM

David,
I havn't said anything here that I didn't say to some of them that showed up later in the day. I really don't think things will change from me stating my opinions as ultimately "they" don't really care what I think. Some of the South end guys and I had a laugh over the North/South A-hole conversation and I think everyone takes it as Basin humor. There may be a grain of truth to it but many of us regulars make sport of giving each other a razzing now and than, I don't think anything I could post here will change that.