RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8977019-all-i-see-boring-planes-boring-helicopters.html)

Bugalooob 07-30-2009 04:31 PM

All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters

Everytime I go to the field I see the same cookie cutter boring planes (Yaks, Extras and sticks), their a dime a dozen now and its getting old, Its worse with the copters, everyone has the same bike helmut design.. Its very rare I see a scale plane or chopper, a Huey or a p-47 Thunderbolt would be nice to see once in a while...I think many flyers are a bit scared to fly scale...OPINIONS?

gboulton 07-30-2009 04:35 PM

RE: All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters

Very few builders remain. [:o]

Red Scholefield 07-30-2009 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You go to the wrong fields.

Gremlin Castle 07-30-2009 05:35 PM

Bugaloob like Red said check some other fields. Check my gallery pictures here on RCU if you want to see a wide variety of non cookie cutter airplanes.

ctdahle 07-30-2009 06:19 PM

Used to be that everyone had a Super Kaos or an Ugly Stik...but at least they all had different color schemes.

Red Scholefield 07-30-2009 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Bugalooob

Everytime I go to the field I see the same cookie cutter boring planes (Yaks, Extras and sticks), their a dime a dozen now and its getting old, Its worse with the copters, everyone has the same bike helmut design.. Its very rare I see a scale plane or chopper, a Huey or a p-47 Thunderbolt would be nice to see once in a while...I think many flyers are a bit scared to fly scale...OPINIONS?

What do you take to the field to break the monotony? :D

weathervane 07-30-2009 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like flying out side of the box.

I have a plane with an aluminum gutter down spout for a fuse. I built, flew and crashed a plane that I built out of a real pizza box. I have a plane called a Yard stick. Kinda like a big Tella master. I have the normal planes as well, but I love to fly stuff the war bird / aerobatic guys would never think of flying. If I can make a club member go WHAT is that!! then I have done my job.

-Andrew

Red Scholefield 07-30-2009 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: weathervane

I like flying out side of the box.

I have a plane with an aluminum gutter down spout for a fuse. I built, flew and crashed a plane that I built out of a real pizza box. I have a plane called a Yard stick. Kinda like a big Tella master. I have the normal planes as well, but I love to fly stuff the war bird / aerobatic guys would never think of flying. If I can make a club member go WHAT is that!! then I have done my job.

-Andrew
Remember the SPAD craze a few years back?

weathervane 07-30-2009 06:43 PM

Not totaly. I have not been flying that long. I do have a BIG pile of coro though. I an looking to make a real big plane with it. It will be so cool. I just need to finish some other projects first.
-Andrew

Live Wire 07-30-2009 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to many Cookie Cutters here:D I am still a builder, or rebuild the Cookies;)

speedy72vega 07-30-2009 09:16 PM

Hey Red, I LOVE that twin rotor plane of yours, I would love to see that thing flying in person....very cool.

Aside from that, I will admit that I have an Extra 330 and a Mini Ultra Stick, bit I also fly a GP P47, and an Eratix 3D. The P47 is a fantastic little plane to fly, as is the Eratix! I higly recommend them.

outdoorhunting 07-31-2009 06:32 AM

Hey, Livewire. I see how ya got that "high score" now. I'll give you a double 5!! All those beeeautiful planes. Nice!!!

BarracudaHockey 07-31-2009 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boring helis??

Stickbuilder 07-31-2009 10:24 AM

Here's an original thought for you: If you are bored by seeing the same airplanes time after time, build something original. Of course, some Nimrod will ask where you bought it.

Bill, AMA 4720

Scar 07-31-2009 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Bugalooob

Congratulations, Bugalooob. Very effective troll.

DreamingTree1027 07-31-2009 01:06 PM

Aerobatics and 3d are the popular planes now. It changes back an forth from model to model. Before it was Yaks now a lot of Edge/extras. I for one like to push myself with the airplane. I am not afraid to fly scale, but how many times can you do a low pass and still be excited. Try harrier rolls on the deck that is tough stuff. I am not saying that scale sucks. I enjoy flying scale every so often but I can't only do it. I am sure all of you disagree and could fly scale all day long, good for you its a hobby do what makes you happy.

I for one am relatively new, compared to some and can not afford to buy several hundreds in tools to build when that can buy me a plane to put together in 2 days with tools I already have. This will probably start the ARF/Kit arguement but I like to fly. I build so that I can fly. It might change in the future but for now I am happy. Lots still build and I am jelous of the time and effort they put in and the results they get. ARF's are easier, thats why people buy them and thats why you see similar planes out there.

All Just my opinions of course

barndawg77 07-31-2009 01:25 PM

...Or guys like me with no talent for kit building...LOL!

Stickbuilder 07-31-2009 02:05 PM

Building is not a talent that you are born with, but rather a talent that you develop by practicing it.

Bill, AMA 4720

outdoorhunting 07-31-2009 02:07 PM

Great point Dreaming tree. That's what is great about this hobby.. There's plenty of room for everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh. & Bugaloob you got a 5 Star for the thread. This should be very interesting.

bcovish 07-31-2009 04:25 PM

I enjoy the flying, whether it be my jet or my T-28 foamie. I'm not there to please anyone else, just me. Don't come on here and complain about what you're not seeing at the field. BTW, what kind of planes do you take to the field?

BTW, I fly "cookie cutter stuff" To each his own.

navihawk 07-31-2009 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres what i take to the field! Well not actually cus all doesnt fit in my small car lol. As you can see i have 2 foamies, the 3d foamie i built from plans, the other pusher is from a friend that makes them. Nitro funtana X50, An EDF jet, eletric rc car and nitro rc car. And a scale lancair. Most the guys i fly with have also a wide range of models from slow flyers, to home made folding airplanes made out of the signs you see on the sidewalks on the roads. Also fly helis. Like what bicovish said "I enjoy the flying". If i had more money i would defently have more different types of airplanes, i do need a warbird though a nice p-40 to finish my collection. About the yaks...I like acrobatic airplanes and i find the yak 54 to be the most beautifull acrobat ever, also the su-26 is a nice one too. Dont care botu how popular it is just as long as it looks nice flying.

Bugalooob 07-31-2009 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My club must be the oddball, you guys have some interesting aircraft..I'm like the only one who flys scale stuff...Heres some pics of my p-47, It was originally the bubble top version but I changed it into a razorback using plywood and aluminum, It was a pain in the arse but I don't think it turned out too bad...I hated the bubbletop, looked like the plane grew a boil on its back

tenacious101010 07-31-2009 05:21 PM

bcovish, he has the right to his opinion, if you dont like people expressing themselves, there are countries you might enjoy more than this one, try North Korea, or Cuba, or many of the other places where people are not able to have an opinion. You dont have to agree with him.

Bill Rademacher 07-31-2009 05:33 PM

Well, things can get boring after a while.

Of course, that's where fire comes in.....

billrad

adam41245 07-31-2009 06:01 PM

and if you don't like fire.... just turn on Live Wire's Sprinkler..............