RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   The Hots (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/9314157-hots.html)

magwie 12-08-2009 03:09 PM

The Hots

I have a late 80's, Midwest "The Hots" kit. I'm about halfway done with the build and am thinking about adding flaps. Has anyone out there done this? and if so....how?
Thanks, Magwie

outdoorhunting 12-09-2009 08:46 AM

RE: The Hots

1 Attachment(s)
I built one from plans last summer. (60 size). I put a Super Tiger 75 in it. It few really good. I ended up with a ST 90 & it's a rocket ship!! Don't think you'll need flaps though as it lands very easy. One thing that I didn't like on the plans was it called for a fixed wing. I made mine "detatchable". I'll try to send a pic. Good luck

magwie 12-09-2009 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
outdoorhunting: Thanks for the reply, I like the colors on your hots. I don't think mines a 60.
The plans call for a .25 - .40 I was thinking about putting a .47 on it. Wing span is 48". Fus length is 27"
It's a Midwest kit from '87. The plans have me building "wing tips" (I noticed that on yours the wing tips are flat.) these have proven to be a challenge to build. Do your wings just end at the last rib?
I also noticed that yours has an engine cowel. Did you add that? Mine just has the engine mounted to the fire wall with nothing around it. Tilted sideways at a 45 degree angle so the muffler goes under the wing.
Thanks for the advise on adding flaps (keep it simple! RIGHT?) I'm anxious to fly it. This will be my first venture into Gas powered flight and I wolud like to get it back in one piece
How did you make the wing removable?
In the future I'll need advise when I cover it with Monokote. I've never done it before and want to get good results (Yours looks great),can I call on you then?
Thanks

outdoorhunting 12-09-2009 02:27 PM

The flag plane is 60 size. I guess it is called the Super Hots. I also have the "40 size" w/ the shorter WS. ,I have a old-old OS(I think 40 or 46) in it. It flies better than the bigger plane. In a strong wind it will actually fly backwards, it is an absolute dream in the air. It will aileron roll faster than you can count them on high rates, or on low rates it will be very docile.!! The 40 was built by a buddy of mine. I thought the detatchable wing was a "factory deal". If yours isn't, all you would have to do would to do lay the wing in the "saddle" take some measurements & put in your blocks to fasten the wing to the fus, then rig up some dowels to hold the front of the wing stable. No big deal, really. Oh,yea, I hate building those wing tips too, the wing tips just end with the last rib,you'll be better off to "double the last rib" for strength. The cowl on the flag plane was made with lite ply. All I did was, once the motor was all set, I layed my ply against the fus & marked what looked good & started fitting & glueing & a Lot of sanding till I got what I wanted. It makes it look more streamlined. Also, it will help with balanceing as the "Hots line' seem to build tailheavy. When you get ready to cover, check out Minnflier's video on covering. Minn is one of the Moderators & has some really good videos on different hints on building. Good Luck Ed

H5606 12-09-2009 05:16 PM

Here is some info on the "The Hots": http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43..._1/key_/tm.htm

PLANE JIM 12-09-2009 07:01 PM

The "Hots" is a great flyer-I had a larger one with a FS120-It was a fun flyer-I did not have flaps on the model but it would add to the fun factor I bet -I wonder what it would fly in "crow"

outdoorhunting 12-09-2009 09:47 PM

H5606, thanks for the great link !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DGrant 12-10-2009 06:42 PM

I also own a SuperHots(.60 size)..and as everyone said its a real good flying plane.. I learned to hover it years ago ... when hovering was in its infant stage.

To comment on your original question about flaps... if your talking about cutting your aileron, and using part of those for flaps.. Don't do it!.. First reason is the plane will fly fantastically without them.. second reason is you don't want to take away any control surface area on that aileron...
Here's what I would do.. and it might take a "little" engineering..but really is a piece of cake.. that plane originally is designed with one single aileron servo.. smack in the middle of the wing. What I would do is install a dual-servo set-up.. one aileron servo for each aileron half... thereby you will get a bit more torque on each surface.. not only that.. it will allow you to program a few different options.. the first one being flaperons.. which are flaps working in conjunction with the ailerons.. the other option is spoilerons...which probably aren't any advantage at all on this plane.. but the flaperons could prove very interesting.. just don't cut the surfaces... Most computer radios 6ch and up will handle it.. and when you plug your servos in, you wont need a "Y" harness as each servo will plug into its own ch. in the Rx... then you set it up for electronic mixing.. it takes a little effort..but is well worth it for what your wanting.... and this would probably be the only way I would do it. I hope this helps. :)

magwie 12-11-2009 10:18 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice AGAINST adding flaps to my "Hots"....I WAS,,,, thinking of cutting a section out of the ailerons to use for flaps but I like DGRANT's idea of electronic mixing better.
If anyone has pics..I would like to see some for examples of the best way to mount the servos in the wings and how to run the push rod's.
Noticed alot of you realy enjoy the way this plane flyes...I hope mine turns out the same
p.s. Thanks to OUTDOORHUNTING's advice.... I cut off the wing tips that I was trying to fabricate and just reinforced the end rib.
Thanks to all, for all the advice......back to the bench!

Wilki01 12-11-2009 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of my old Hots. I wish I never sold it. I could fly this any just about any wind, it flew so well. I got it used from a friend of mine that had a midair with another plane. The wing cut the other plane right in half through the fuse, while the Hots countinued to fly and land. I stripped it down repaired any damage, found some old covering and flew it for a couple of more seasons. It was one of the nicest planes for me to fly, I could not believe for such little ailerons how quick this plane would roll or turn.

Wilki

outdoorhunting 12-11-2009 01:05 PM

Hey guys,let's see more pics of your Hots! "Older IS better!!!

Wilki01 12-11-2009 01:11 PM

The picture omy Hots was taken in 2007, the actual plane was built when the kits first came out, so it is pretty old now and still being flown by a friend of mine.

Wilki

outdoorhunting 12-11-2009 02:06 PM

It's almost too pretty to fly, almost. hahaha

DGrant 12-18-2009 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Wilki01

The picture omy Hots was taken in 2007, the actual plane was built when the kits first came out, so it is pretty old now and still being flown by a friend of mine.

Wilki
I didn't mention my SuperHots is my oldest "still flying" aircraft I own.. it was built in 1989... It still has the original covering on it.. well some of it is original anyways..(I have had some patching to do over the yrs.) they do seem to go through some beating.. and mine did just that.. I've had a few different engines on it.. the cowling just let go about 15yrs ago.. so I replaced the firewall... glassed it up, and put the .91 2-stroke it still has in it... it is totally unchallenged vertically.. such a great airplane.
I've been wanting to recover/restore it.. but it just won't die to that point.. I'm afraid after I did that it would look too good to go thrashing with.. but... what a plane... I've also wondered what a SuperHots would be like built using todays available composites, and some hand-picked wood..

So magwie... hows your Hots going? :)

magwie 12-18-2009 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
dgrant, way to keep the antiques airborne!
You asked about my Hots, I'm a slow builder and funds are low - but I took your advice, and am in the process of building servo mounts in the wings for "flaperons". I laid the servos out on my bench, and got my transmitter programmed. It looks like everything will work.
Thanks for "Outdoorhunting's" advice about the wing tips. I chopped off everything I had done so far, traced the profile of the wing onto 1/16th balsa sheeting and doubled up both wing tips. (see pic)
I'll post more as progress continues.

GEEBEEPILOT 03-07-2010 03:51 PM

How's the build going? any more pictures?

Mark

outdoorhunting 03-07-2010 07:04 PM

Yeah, we need info. Please let us know how it's going!!!

magwie 03-07-2010 08:30 PM

Thanks for the interest, guys! Got my electronics figured out - gonna use flap mixing with the aelerons, instead of adding additional flaps. However, the build's been put on hold... Trying to launch a new business, and taxes are taking up all my time and money right now.

I could post pics, but not much would be different from the last ones.

Been contemplating making this an electric powered plane, instead of glow powered. Finished flying weight should be between 4 & 5 lbs, I'm guessing. Any ideas on how big of an electric motor I'd need to get good performance?

Thanks again, and I'll post more when I "get back to the build".

I have a park flyer piper cub that needs a little work - & I'm going to get that one flying first, so at least I can get out & enjoy the hobby a little bit.

outdoorhunting 03-08-2010 07:48 AM

Remember, All work & no play !!!!

magwie 03-08-2010 10:17 AM

.......Makes Magwie a dull boy!!!! :D

How are you guys doin?? any new builds? been out flyin?

Take care

outdoorhunting 03-08-2010 11:10 AM

No flying this winter. Been to cold & windy. I come down here for the winter to fish, however, this has been the worst winter for fishing since I started coming down.(10 yrs) I'll get my flying in when I go back up North. (Indiana) Brought one of my Hots down, but been too lazy to get it out. Sad, huh !! The flying fields down here are like 15 mile from me, & they're not that great anyway. Ed

john josey 03-08-2010 01:04 PM

These things still seem to have a healthy following. I`ve just finnished this one from a kit of parts i managed to trace round from a destroyed old airframe. Hoping to fly it this weekend.
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/DSC00243.jpg

magwie 03-08-2010 04:06 PM

John Josey....Thats a mighty fine lookin "Hots" Hope you have fun Flyin this weekend

Outdoorhunting....Keep your chin up....this "global warming" trend can't last forever ;)

MILDBILL-RCU 03-08-2010 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a Hots back in the mid 80's. I really loved that plane & it was while I was packing last June to move from Ohio to N.Carolina that I found my sets of plans. After building a few new planes, I decided I wanted one again. So here it is. I have not maiden'd it yet. hopefully this weekend. Bill

DGrant 03-09-2010 01:50 AM

Wow.. the Hots are all over the place. Nice planes guys.. all of them. Nice to see the Hots is stll alive and well.

Magwie.. hope you get yours running soon.

I've been fortunate to get some weekends of great flying already.. looking forward to alot more too. Im almost done restoring a WorldModels Mustang.. hopefully I'll maiden that in the next month or so. My SuperHots will definately fly this year again.. I just don't know when.. I usually fly it at the lake(big big parking lot, wilderness area).. theres a few of us that go up just for a change of scenery... its a wide open space to let that thing loose.. it does leave a big foot-print in the sky as it shreads the air. :D