RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   what do you think of this case? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/9966255-what-do-you-think-case.html)

13BT 08-28-2010 10:07 PM

what do you think of this case?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8i4J16nWCY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJUxo9a4Is[/youtube]

I predict the opinions here will be as biased as mine. I sided with the plaintiff (of course).

Do you think JJ considered everything?

dbcisco 08-28-2010 10:25 PM

RE: what do you think of this case?

I do not like JJ. Sadly, I agree with her 100% on this case.
Darn lucky he only crashed his plane and dug a hole in the guys yard.
What if the landowner was in his yard and that plane hit him and killed him?
It could have been a negligent homicide case in a real court.

KidEpoxy 08-28-2010 11:08 PM

Oh great.
Another thread thats just gonna end up a debate involving Texas Law, Guns, and Trespassers

dbcisco 08-28-2010 11:41 PM

KE, you just planted the seed. I was tempted though.:D

RCKen 08-28-2010 11:52 PM

Thread moved from AMA Discussions to The Clubhouse

Ken

Hossfly 08-29-2010 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Thread moved from AMA Discussions to The Clubhouse

Ken
WOW, Ken, I was watching the video, accidentally punched off the thread and while trying to go back, could not find it. HA! you had me wondering "Wha' Hoppen?" for a couple minutes. Some kind of timing. :D

In answer to the Op, I think JJ was very harsh with the $2500 "FINE", yet I do think that there just has to be a point where RC types have to learn to adequately control the landing patterns of their machines. I have watched all types, young, old, great 3Ders, beginners, pattern experts, etc., etc. setting up long landing patterns from wide downwinds and simply just too far out for what is needed.
Any RC landing pattern with more than a 200 ft final approach is TOO big. [sm=devious.gif]

If modelers spent more time in the landing patterns rather than simply boring holes in the sky, with the intent of learning to really fly the patterns, using throttle to control altitude/descent rates and elevator for speed control, they may well be surprised at just how well their landings will improve.
I relate it to today's airline approaches with gear and flaps dragging from 6 miles out which wastes time and fuel, simply to satisfy government idiots. The FAA started that BS well before I retired from UAL. One main reason was that too many folks were hired by airlines that really were not truly qualified, In My Opinion of course! Why did those folks get hired? Because the government said so. "nuff said. So FAA instituted rules that any one can make decent approaches and landings from.

Where to Go? Clubs, motivate your instructors to compete with themselves to be able to satisfy AMA Document 921 requirements.

Have some landing performance club fun events. Once the crowd sees the better folks doing such they will get into the same.

Get those patterns into the field boundaries. Like the old fellow on a Philadelphia street replied when the young fellow with a musical instrument ask him how to get to Carnage Hall: He said, "Practice Son, Practice. ;)
Practic those patterns.

JKEpps 08-29-2010 07:26 AM

Wow! $2,500?!?

Well I love JJ, and unfortunately for Mr Gustovson (sp?) I think she nailed it. There should have been a fine, to put the club as a whole on notice. Mr. Gustovson just happened to be the example. I bet there will be fewer incusions on the Starks property. I would hate to live that close to a field, even as a modeler.

Sorry Mr. Gustovson, you were wrong, and lucky to only have a $2,500 judgement against you. Fortunately he isn't facing manslaughter charges because his plane hit someone. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose, maybe even lost control due to signal or equipment, or other issues, but it doesn't make him any less liable.

The JJ show actually pays the judgement (as far as I know) and travel/accomodations costs, so I don't think he is out anything except for maybe his filing fees.

-Jorden

Bruno Stachel 08-29-2010 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: JKEpps

....The JJ show actually pays the judgement (as far as I know) and travel/accomodations costs, so I don't think he is out anything except for maybe his filing fees.
I always wonder if the contestants on these judge shows get something out it, other than their 15 minutes of fame. Is the humiliation worth it? Anyway, another black eye for the hobby.

STUKA BARRY 08-29-2010 02:55 PM

Mr. Gustufson should've had AMA representation with him namely, Jose' Soto representing the AMA and a Decator GA. city Official. Mr. Gustufson did not seem well prepaired for court. I hope that viseo shown did not represent the actual final leg of the landing. If it does, I would definitely find another place to fly especially with my 35lbs. warbirds.

JollyPopper 08-29-2010 03:43 PM

I agree with the verdict and that Mr. Gustafson didn't have a legal leg to stand on. The only thing I found questionable was the tape shown. The sound seemed inordinately loud for that size airplane at that distance as well as having a high pitched screaming sound that I would not normally associate with an RC model of this size. Was the sound perhaps "enhanced" a bit to impact JJ who is probably not very experienced in what to expect in noise level from an RC plane. Did anyone else have the impression that the sound was a little pumped up or was it just me. It has no bearing in the outcome of the hearing or whatever that was, but it does seem a bit sleazy.

rcairflr 08-29-2010 04:55 PM

The county gave them 80 acres of land (as stated on JJ). If the guy can't keep his airplane within that amount of area, he got exactly what he deserved and should take some flying lessons. 80 acres is 3,484,00 squre feet of land or 1867 feet per side (assuming it's square).
As stated above, instead of worrying about his airplane, he should feel fortunate it didn't hit someone.