Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: spyder foam

spyder foam

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of trying "spyder Foam" as a core material in my fuselages since I have not been able to find Herex/Airex thin enough here in the U.S. I've been using 1/32nd balsa which works good but its to labor intensive IMO. Anyone have any experience with spyder foam?

Thanks,

Todd Schmidt

P.S. If anyone knows of a supplier of 1.5mm to 2mm Herex/Airex please let me know. The thinnest I've found is 1/8 inch Airex.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: spyder foam

CST has Rohacell 51 down to 1mm (.04in.) which I think a lot of guys use for a substitute for balsa or Herex sheets. CST Rohacell A lot of your European high end sailplanes and F5D composite racers are constructed with this stuff.

As for experience with it, it is on my "to do" list.
    Scott Smith
    NMPRA 86t - District 7 VP

Thanks Scott, I've looked and unfortunately 48" is long as they offer, I need 60" long.

Todd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can glue Rohacell, although it is difficult to work with, balsa was easier for me.
    Dave Norman
    29w

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Just a FYI

I received good service from Clarasonic in Thailand

240mm by 800mm 1mm sheet R51 rohacell (got 150)  ended up around $6.00 AUD  similar USD pricing
    http://www.clarasonic.com/index_en.htm

Very responsive to shipping requests to get the best freight options.

cheers jeff

Thanks Jeff, I emailed them for a quote. I need 1.5mm 1650mm x 457mm. I'm making several 2M pattern fuselages this winter and hopefully this will be the ticket I'm looking for.

Todd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thailand? Sheez! Glad you found a source, hope it pans out for ya....
    I am surprised that there isn't a stateside supplier... they would certainly get an uptick in business from this crowd.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Todd, let us know how it goes with getting the product and the prices for shipping. I would like to get some 1mm - 250mm x 1250mm sheets for some wings in the future, and it looks like the Thailand company is less than 1/4 the US prices. Might be worth it if the shipping is decent.
    Scott Smith
    NMPRA 86t - District 7 VP

Hi Scott,

I ordered 4 pieces of 1.5mmx18"x59" and they were $37.59 each. Shipping was $75.00 using Thia postal. I really wanted 65" long stock but Thia Postal will only ship 59" max. I could have used UPS or Fed Ex but shipping would have been twice as much. Clarasonic has a U.S. rep and he gave good service through email. If this works out I will order additional stock.

I did get the Spyder foam and layed up some parts with it as a core. I like they way the stuff works, you can sand it like balsa and it hot wires very good with good smooth surface after the cut. It also does'nt take in a lot of resin so it should make a light stiff part. I'll post a pic of the part and weights after I get it out of the mold.

Todd