Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

cowling seam

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Sparky71
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cowling seam

What is the best glue to use to fasten a strip of Styrene, (ABS Plastic) on the inside and outside of a fiberglass cowling? The cowling is in 2 pieces, (halves), and I want to be able to fasten them together over a 2 cylinder engine after it is installed on the airplane and be able to remove it when necessary, The strips will run on either side, (top and bottom), around the seam and be fastened together with small screws for removal.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: cowling seam

What is the best glue to use to fasten a strip of Styrene, (ABS Plastic) on the inside and outside of a fiberglass cowling?
Personally, I wouldn't use ABS plastic.

If the cowling is fiberglass, I would first find out if it was Epoxy or Polyester. After determining this, I would use an identical stripe of the same fiberglass material bonding the pieces with the same chemical material.

I prefer Polyester but mant modelers like Epoxy better.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Sparky71
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that is the ideal solution Charles, but I do not have acess to the materials you mention so will try using epoxy glue, I have had good succes with it in the past and it will be reinforced with the screws, was also wondering if there was an appropriate CA glue that would work?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sparky,

OK if that's the case, I would clean and scratch the surfaces well before joining. Small screw heads could add to the look.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Use medium CA; thin CA will harden styrene and make it brittle. It will break in short order.
Chuck