Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: cowling seam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cowling seam

What is the best glue to use to fasten a strip of Styrene, (ABS Plastic) on the inside and outside of a fiberglass cowling? The cowling is in 2 pieces, (halves), and I want to be able to fasten them together over a 2 cylinder engine after it is installed on the airplane and be able to remove it when necessary, The strips will run on either side, (top and bottom), around the seam and be fastened together with small screws for removal.
    If it ain\'t broke, don\'t fix it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: cowling seam

What is the best glue to use to fasten a strip of Styrene, (ABS Plastic) on the inside and outside of a fiberglass cowling?
    Personally, I wouldn't use ABS plastic.

If the cowling is fiberglass, I would first find out if it was Epoxy or Polyester. After determining this, I would use an identical stripe of the same fiberglass material bonding the pieces with the same chemical material.

I prefer Polyester but mant modelers like Epoxy better.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am sure that is the ideal solution Charles, but I do not have acess to the materials you mention so will try using epoxy glue, I have had good succes with it in the past and it will be reinforced with the screws, was also wondering if there was an appropriate CA glue that would work?
    If it ain\'t broke, don\'t fix it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sparky,

OK if that's the case, I would clean and scratch the surfaces well before joining. Small screw heads could add to the look.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use medium CA; thin CA will harden styrene and make it brittle. It will break in short order.
    Chuck