Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

corner help

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
thunderchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corner help

I have been having trouble getting the cloth to lay down well going around a sharp corner……………Keep getting air bubbles under it. Are there any tricks to it? For a concaved corner I paste the area first then lay in my cloth but for sharp edges you can not paste them…ideas
Thanks
Glenn
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: corner help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCivvXA2FVU
Vacuum bagging works well.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure if by "paste them", you mean "radius them", but if not, then a good first step is to radius (or round-out) the corners with a mix of microballoons and resin. Also, if the cloth strands run at a 45 degree bias to the curve(s), it will conform to complex shapes better. Often a relief cut is necessary . . . think of this as what you do with Monocote (or similar covering material) to get it to lay down around rounded wingtips, etc. Sometimes, I find I still cannot get the cloth to conform in a hand layup, so I have to resort to smaller pieces, &/or putting one piece on one side, and another piece on the other side of the curve, then just overlap a bit on the curve itself.

See posts #17 - 25 on page 1, and post #54 on page 3 on the thread linked below for pictures and specific steps that I have used successfully, even with just simple hand-layups (I don't have fancy vacuum bagging equipment, yet.):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm

Hope there is a least onelittle usable "nugget" that would be helpful to you.

Ollie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40357.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1534147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95300.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1534148  
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Magne

Also using several layers of thin cloth instead of just one or two layers of thick cloth will help.
If there is only one or two difficult areas / corners, then you could use many layers of thin cloth locally, and lay up the rest with thicker cloth. (Overlapping and stopping the thick cloth just short of the corner.)

Magne